“5* Hotel Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 89 Hotels in Malaga
Stafford, United Kingdom
“5* Hotel Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

First of all I would like to thank all the staff at Hotel California, Malaga for their EXCELLENT hospitality!!! Our stay in this hotel was perfect! We stayed in room 302 (twin room) which is at the front of the hotel on the main road. First impression of the hotel and room was cleanliness... spot on! My partner and I are very tidy people, so whether our room needed to be cleaned or not, the girls cleaned our room and changed the towels every single day, including changing our bed sheets. Air con in our room... what a blessing as the temperature in August is HOT! HOT! HOT!. Beach is 5 mins stroll (depending on how fast you walk, could be 2 mins). There is also a supermarket before you get to the beach. The city of Malaga only 10 mins walk. We LOVED Malaga Feria... absolutely buzzing!!!! Please go to the Feria in August, you will not believe the size of the Fair/entertainment at night which is not in Malaga city, but not far from Malaga airport. I would say, 30 mins bus travel from our hotel, but it is well worth it. Bus fares are so cheap too (1.20 euros each way). Thank you again to all staff at Hotel California, Malaga. x

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Community of Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

From the hotel, in a 10 minutes walk you can reach Malaga's historic center: La Alcazaba (ancient muslim castle) and the Picasso Musseum. And in just 5 minutes you can be at the beach, rent a "tumbona" and stay all reading and drinking mojitos. Certainly it is not the best beach, though is still a city beach but for a short trip and without car it is very confortable to move walking to everywhere.
The hotel is simple and clean with an armonius decoration. The staff is very hospitable, always smilling, they make you feel at home.
I was not my case, because I travel alone, but try to hire one of the rooms with seaview because althought the hotel is in second line from the beach, you can see it.
Also, highly recommended the solarium at the terrace where you can rest after the beach, read a book, smoke or just see the beatifull sea view.
The breakfast was the part I don't like because it was not buffet and that means you can not choose if you want to eat more salad or less sweet. Coffee or tea, bread, mermelade, a croissant, little cup with fruit, chees and jam , muesli and yogurt. I wll prefer to choose perhaps a diet yogurt or less jam and more mermelade. The quality of the croissant was not good, so the second day I went to the patissiere that is just in front (Delicias) and I bought an amazing chocolate muffin and a portion of cheescake.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Shenley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

So what do you want from a city room, 15 minute walk to the centre and a host of busses outside the door. In a quiet safe residential area with a view of the sea. And breakfast of fresh orange juice, hot fresh croissants and bread - a wide selection of ceral fresh fruit meats and cheese served to your table and presented beautifully. As well as friendly front of office staff. And the price is good as well. One small downside the hotel is on a main road so if road noise is an issue for you ask for one of the quiet back rooms.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

My wife and I spent one night here in a superior room. It was clean, quiet and comfortable and had a lovely garden view. There is a terrace with an ocean-view on an upper floor. English is spoken and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. We reserved online and got a significant discount, so the superior room was a very good value for 75 Euro, with a good continental breakfast included. It's a short walk to the beach, although Malaga isn't really a place to come if major beach time is a primary activity. There are good restaurants nearby and you can walk to the Picasso Museum if you choose. Recommended!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Northumberland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

We checked into the Hotel California following the cancellation of our flight due to the volcanic ash in Iceland. The staff were very helpful and understanding of our situation allowing us a flexible check out date and unlimited free internet access and local phone calls. The hotel was nice and clean and our room was comfy. The breakfast included in the price was fantastic! Staff advised us on a local laundry, busses, restaurants and things to do in Malaga. We stayed 4 nights and really enjoyed our time. The staff made what was potentially a fairly stressful time enjoyable and as hassel free as possible. Good value for money. Lovely atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

After giving up trying to drive to a hostal in the maze of narrow, one way streets in the old city, we arrived at the edge of the area and found the "Hotel California". Yes - we've heard the song and whimsically my wife went to check the place out. It was friendly and clean so we checked in.
Our room was over the front of the hotel and one block away fromthe beach, with a part view of the sea. The room was clean and comfortable and we had our own balcony, complete with recliner chairs. The rooftp patio also had many chairs. Breakfast was a deliciously adequate continental style. It was early December and we did not need any heating.
The hotel staff were very friendly and helpfull and guided us to the local restaurant area, a ten minutes (tops) walk back towards town past the nearby 'Plaza del Toros'. Most places in the old town were in easy walking distance. At night we had no disturbance from the road outside the hotel.
The only drawback I could find is that the hotel entrance is up a flight of steep steps and is not suitable for disabled people or very young children. Car parking is on the street and could be difficult in a busy holiday time.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

We used this hotel as a base between getting off our cruise in the morning and our flight out in the evening. We booked a single room for one day, making it clear that although there would be 2 adults and 2 children, nobody would be staying overnight, it was just a place to leave our luggage while we were at the beach and to get changed afterwards.
The hotel looks boutiquey from the outside but when we checked in and paid for the room, the receptionist (older male) took my passport and REFUSED to give this back to me, even though I had already paid in full and did not return it to me until we checked out some 6 hours later. After paying, he then told us that only 1 person was allowed to go to the room, how totally ridiculous. When I got to the room it STANK of smoke and had not a single window - it looked like a prison cell. Eventually the kids were allowed to help me up to the room with our luggage but when we returned from the beach, they refused to even let them remain in reception so while I went to get the luggage and pack up, they were turfed out of the hotel and made to wait outside. One of the party made to wait outside was 89 years old for God's sake. I had asked the receptionist to call me a taxi, when we had returned from the beach but when I came down with the luggage (I was forced to struggle down on my own with them) there was no taxi, so I asked if one had been called and he pretended that I had never asked. So I asked him again. We waited outside and after 10 minutes still no cab, so I hailed one that drove past but before we could get in, the receptionist ran out of the hotel and waved him away from the hotel. Five minutes later a MERCEDES pulled up and so realising that the receptionist was trying to rip us off, I refused to get into the cab until we had agreed a price. Thankfully I knew how much it had cost me to get to Malaga on the way in, so I wasn't prepared to go on the (much inflated I'm sure) meter they had inside this limousine. As for the beach being 30m away, what a joke. It was a 15 minute walk at best. It was a totally horrific experience and I would not recommend the place to my worst enemy. Stay WELL away.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hotel California? Share your experiences!