“Souless dull and obscure” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Bandaneira 6 | Urb. El Atabal, 29190 Malaga, Spain   |
Ranked #1 of 89 Hotels in Malaga
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Souless dull and obscure”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Given the fulsome praise this venue has received from many in the tripadvisor community, I was really looking forward to my nine nights here. It got off to a bad start and didn't improve. When I arrived, a slightly harrassed young woman came to greet me (perhaps greet is exaggerating - there wasn't a smile or a welcome, just a frenzied explanation that there was a full hotel that weekend for Christenings and First Communions and that the restaurant was out of bounds for me. Great welcome.....thanks.
The room had some good points. The bed was comfortable, and there was a lot of hot water. There was a nifty electric shutter to keep the sunlight out for a late lie in. BUT.....
The pillows were rubbish. Even with two, I needed my coat underneath to take my head more than a few centimetres off the bed. The room was like a sixties three star hotel, and I've stayed in better hostels in Malaga. The view was indeed good, but to get to the hotel there was a fifteen minute walk up the steepest of hills from the nearest bus stop, so for most people a hire car or taxi would be a must (I walked, but I am very fit). The worst thing of the lot though is it is so noisy. If someone flushes a lavatory in a connecting room, it sounds like it is in yours. Also, when women choose to wear high heeled shoes (as most seemed to) it sounded like a horse trotting by. And trot they did, at three in the morning....at six in the morning.
Somebody on tripadvisor described this as a boutique hotel. It is less boutique and more market stall, with Fools and Horses the obvious comparison.
There are far better hotels than this in Malaga. I should hazard a guess that this is the fifth worst, not the fifth best.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Seaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here ten days ago at the start of this holiday on a whim as I had read of the chef in other Spanish websites where he is well thought of.
What a great decision!!!
We were booked in for half board but changed to bed and breakfast to be able to choose from a delightful menu catering for most tastes.
When thinking about the rooms which are a little noisy and small, bear in mind that this is primarilly a restaurant with rooms ,and I am sure you wont be dissapointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We needed a convenient hotel away from the city and Villa Guadalupe fit the bill perfectly. Because it is family run, the pampering comes in a different way from the large chain hotels. We were not greeted at the reception and had to go find the "concierge". That is the beauty of this hotel. Laid-back, but with the desire to make sure all your needs are met. We reserved a triple room which was adequately big for the three beds and would definitely recommend one with a balcony. We didn't have any problem with noise, but I'm not sure the hotel was full at the time. The big plus was the restaurant which we ate most of our evening meals. We probably tasted everything on the menu (except the fish selections) and all were delicious. At breakfast, we were always offered eggs whatever way w desired them. I can't say enough about the service which was great. Yes, some of the time you had to find them. It definitely is a place to experience. A car is highly recommended although not altogether necessary. Oh, by the way, the artwork is wonderful.

Room Tip: View with balcony.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on a quick trip to Spain. We had rented a car, so it was nice to have free parking and the view was quite beautiful. The rooms were clean, and though the walls were quite thin, we had a great stay. The best part about this place though is the restaurant. If you are staying at the hotel, there is a 20 Euro dinner deal. Normally, we don't eat at hotel restaurants because we find them to be quite expensive, and not very good. But we ate at this restaurant 3 times during our stay. For 20 Euro, you get a DELICIOUS, gourmet 3 course meal. It was wonderful!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Waterloo, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I was taught that if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all! So let me just say "go to Villa Gudalupe for a nice sunset dinner for a view of the city". Save yourself the aggravation of a room with paper thin walls in which you hear everything from others using the bathroom to luggage rolling down the halls. There was a surprise for me the morning I went to the breakfast buffet & opened the honey only to find it covered in ants. At closer look the table itself had ants. Lastly, we were expecting to stay at a villa that looked like the pictures....alas the pool was emptied and being sanded & retiled. Big disappointment!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

If you're looking for five star luxury, this isn't the place, but if you're looking for somewhere clean, super friendly and private then it's perfect. The food is extremely good, the service is great and it's exceptional value for money.

We were looking for a really quiet time to relax and revive and it was absolutely perfect for that - nothing is too much trouble for the staff (Candice and Alex, mainly) - if you don't fancy anything on the lunch menu they'll make you something - omlette or a plate of cheese/ham/fruit - and nothing is any bother for them. It made us feel really looked after.

I would have loved a couple of extra touches: the bedding is all really tired; a couple of better, fatter pillows would have made the beds feel more luxurious, and being able to make tea or coffee in the room would have been great as well.

There's an honesty bar by the pool.. I've never seen that before.. but it's indicative of the kind of place that the Guadalupe is. Other reviews have mentioned barking dogs and if that's a noise that drives you insane, then this isn't the place for you.. the reality is that the house below has four dogs and the one oppposite has two.. they chat - a lot! And, if you're on an extended stay (we actually only left once to go into Malaga centre but we were only there three nights) you will need a car as it's up a steep hill that isn't realistically walkable.

It's a super place to just chill, be fed, looked after and unwind.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 7 with a beautiful balcony.. it's a 'junior suite' but in reality this...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Benahavis, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Spent one night for my friends birthdays, we had a super lunch, our rooms where spotless and comfortable (only missed a full length mirror in my room for getting ready) the food and service at dinner was excellent

We will definatley be back and would recommend it highly, a really excellent 3 star with food of a much higher rating

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Hotel Villa Guadalupe? Share your experiences!