“A restaurant that stands out!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1,313 Restaurants in Malaga
Cuisines: Spanish, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Description: El Meson de Cervantes es una parada obligatoria para aquellos fanaticos del buen comer. Tapas tradicionales y tapas creativa de autor, amplia y cuidada seleccion de vinos y cervezas.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“A restaurant that stands out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed in Malaga for a week with my 9 year old daughter, and we ate out twice a day, every day. There were two places we really loved, I have reviewed the other, but this was in a different class.
Now any review is by nature subjective-assuming integrity-but El Meson Cervantes is a quality establishment. No, it isn't cheap, and to be honest I thought hard when my little girl asked if we could return for the last night of our stay in the city, but having thought a little as to the alternatives decided that it was worth the extra spend.
Whilst the primary function of a restaurant is about the quality of the food, the ambience, and welcome are also very important.
The food we had was of excellent quality, and well cooked, it is an open kitchen so you can see the chefs at work.
It is not necessary to mention all the dishes we had, I don't doubt that much of the menu changes as there was some delicious seasonal produce on the menu-the bolets with aspargus was a lovely example. My daughter thought the 2 best things she had was the prawns in batter, and the chocolate brownie (ok, she is young I know but her opinion is valid), whereas the dish that stood out for me was the wild boar stew which was excellent.
Now I can speak some Spanish, at least enough to read a menu and order, and I never have a problem with waiting staff, but in this place the staff really were excellent in wanting to help, and whilst it isn't fair to single out any particular members, the older, Italian gentleman (sorry I didn't catch his name), and Yolande (the most lovely and friendly girl imaginable) were both delightful and helped make our visits so enjoyable.
As I said earlier, not a cheap venue but as with so much, you get what you pay for!

• 4 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Devon, United Kingdom
“Amazing. A must visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We only spent a week in spain and after sampling lots of different restaurants we came back to this one again on our final night.
This is one of the only places we came to that genuinely seemed to be open and warm with British tourists. The food is to die for, me and my partner had about 8 tapas dishes,pudding and two bottles of wine the meal came to €70! Which when you think our wine was gorgeous (£30 as we went a little cheap) and we had so much food its a bargain really. You can't find anything like it around.
The staff are extremely attentive on both visits, your wine glasses are always refilled for you, the staff all know the dishes extremely well and offered the best advice and gave us surprise dishes to. There wasn't one dish we didn't like. I honestly don't know how to write how amazing this place is.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Ely, United Kingdom
“Love this family's restaurants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and i have eaten here twice and plan on going back to their other restaurant around the corner again for the second time tonight (tapeo de cervantes). The staff are super friendly and although they see a lot of people during the day, they have remembered us when we came back in. The food is always fantastic....my boyfriend and i are huge foodies, we love good quality food and this family does not disappoint! We have tried various restaurants during our stay in malaga and their restaurants by far are the best we have visited.....so much so that we keep coming back to them and wanted to visit one last time before we leave! If you love good quality food and dont want to eat the bog standard tapas every other restaurant seems to be serving...then you should definitely visit this restaurant or tapeo de cervantes!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“So so.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Nice welcome although we were directed from the more lively and intimate looking Tapeo de Cervantes. The service was good but the food average. Battered prawns had too much batter. The spinach salad was good but came with unexpected mushrooms. The salmon was tasteless and fatty - obviously farmed. The spinach in all the dishes was good and fresh but from a packet which you can see as the kitchen is open. There were only tourists and no Spanish eating there. It was an ok meal and reasonably priced but I would not return.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brussels, Belgium
“Boring”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Boring, in all respects.... we had to wait for our food for ages... in one occasion my brother claimed one of those dishes that never seemed to arrived and we got a bad reaction from the waiter.

There was nothing special about the food. The wait was not worth it. Notably the quantities were super small, so that an hour and a half later we were hungry again.

We would have liked to complain to the waiters, but it was not that a specific dish was wrong... the WHOLE thing was wrong... boring flavours, not super good quality, ridiculous prices for what we got... where to begin?

Most disappointing.

The only good thing were the wines. Which were of course extravagantly priced.

I will not be back and I'm sorry I set foot there in the first place.

• Visited September 2013