“Americans Beware!!!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 91 Hotels in Malaga
Atlanta, GA
“Americans Beware!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

We booked the Novotel because we were familiar with their brand and service from past trips. But the Malaga Hotel Aeropuerto is TOTALLY DIFFERENT!

Service-There was a man(I believe his name was Jose) who worked at the hotel Front Desk the entire time we were there. He was absolutely horrible. In most cases, people expect that they will receive good service for spending their money at establishments. However, this guy treated my Father and I with contempt and utter disrespect just for asking for basic things like taxis and to add the points to our frequent traveler account. He was short, abrasive, and totally arrogant. The other women who worked the Desk @ night were great!

Taxis-ARRANGE YOUR OWN TAXIS AND TRANSPORTATION! The arrogant fellow who I mentioned above arranged a taxi for my father and I the first day. This taxi driver was his friend! Not only did the taxi guy push one button on his meter and double the price but he was talking about us openly in Spanish in the cab to someone on the phone. On the taxi ride home we realized what happened because the taxi drive we arranged to take us home was only 5 euros where as we travelled the same route on the outbound and were charged 10 euros!

Location: The hotel is not located near the beach or the centre of Malaga. One taxi driver informed us that we could have gotten a hotel in the middle of the city for the same price. If you do not have your own transporation ie a rental car, do not stay at this hotel.

Room- The rooms were clean and the wifi was great. BUT BE AWARE that winter time in Malaga is not the same as winter in other parts of the world, meaning its still around 60-70 degrees warm! We politely informed the front desk that our air conditioners were not working properly. They stated that they turned off the entire air conditioning system in the winter!! CAN WE SAY GHETTO?!!!!!

Food- Find your own food and eat out. We ate right across the street @ the Mall for 5 euros. The hotel charges 14 EUROS for some eggs and dry croissants!

Overall, this hotel would be fine if you are only looking for cleanliness and you are a frequent traveler to malaga with a rental car. But if you are a first timer and AMERICAN as we are, KEEP LOOKING!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

We booked this hotel for one night on 29th October, prior to taking a cruise from Malaga. We chose the hotel because it operates a shuttle service from the airport and paid 79 Euro for a standard room for 2 with breakfast. After booking, I called the hotel to enquire where to get the shuttle (Our flight landed as 2.30pm.) The hotel informed me that the shuttle only runs first thing in the morning and again at tea time, so we had to get a taxi. Whilst the taxi ride was only 10 mins, the Malaga taxi's operate a minimum charge of 15 Euro anywhere from the airport, so we did feel that was a little expensive for such a short ride. Check-in was fine and our room was ready. There was no-one to help with the luggage so we managed to get our cases up ourselves. The room was clean and had adiquate hanging space and a nice bathroom, however our room safe was locked and we had to wait for a member of staff to come up and open it with the over-ride code. There was a minibar with water and soft drinks and beer priced at 3.50 Euro each. Across the street is a supermarket and a McDonalds. The hotel does offer free Wi-Fi which worked very well after gettine a login code from reception. We took a nap as we had been up early that day and woke up around 6pm after a nice bath, we got ready to go out. The hotel did offer a fixed price menu at 15.00 Euro per head but is did not look that nice. We asked at reception if there were any bars or restaurants withing walking distance. Very helpfully we were shown where to go on a map. We came out of the hotel and turned left, walked past a petrol station and on for a total of about half a mile, then crossed the road, turning right at the first roundabout. Then on for about another half a mile, then there were a small amount of bars, tapas bars and restaurants. We chose a pizza restaurant. We were told by the owner that his son had won many competitions for pizza making and the evidence with pictures and certificates were all over the walls. We waited in anticipation for the pizza and it did indeed live up to expectations and I must say was the best pizza I had ever tasted. We walked back to the hotel. On the way back to the hotel we stopped at a local supermarket and picked up some snacks and a bottle of wine. Our intention was to go back to our room and watch some TV. The TV in the room was a small (around 20") flatsreen. When we returned to our room around 10pm we saw that there were 8 English language channels showing on the hotels TV menu, however when trying to access these channels it transpired that one news channel has no volume and the only other 2 channels avilable are CNN News (American) and Eurosport, which was showing tennis. So we called down to reception and said that we thought there may be a problem. The reception sent up the same guy who had come earlier to open the safe and he was dressed in a kitchen workers uniform and was quite red and sweaty. He explained that the channels we had were the only ones available at that time. He did say that we could buy a movie from the pay per view system which would be in English, the cost of this would be 16 Euro. Now it strikes me as strange that only 2 mediocre TV channels are available in English yet there are as many as 10 top movies, all in English available for 16 Euro? - I said that I was not happy and would he consider letting us have a movie for free? He said that even though he was the night manager, he could not authorise that and would have to call the general manager at home and he would call me in the room to let me have the decision. I felt that this was a little pathetic that the guy running the hotel could not make such a simple decision. Around 15 mins later, he called me in the room and said that the general manager had refused my request saying "Take it or Leave it - that is it" and if I was not happy that I could complete a guest satisfaction card. We decided not to do so, but also decided that we will not stay at this particular hotel ever again. The next morning, we went down or breakast, which was included in our room rate. Breakfast was very quiet with only one other couple in the restaurant, it was around 9am. We stood for a few moments and with the lack of any visible staff, seated ourslves. We took some water and juice from the servers station and about 5 mins later a waitress appeared and asked for our room number. As she turned to walk away, we asked for some tea and coffee, which she did bring. Breakfast was buffet style and there was some hot food such as bacon and saussage and it looked like eggs could be cooked to order. After standing at the buffet for a short while, I asked a passing waiter if there was a chef. He went out the back and found a chef. I asked for a fried egg and did get one some considerable time later as the chef had to find gloves, then oil then eggs. After breakfast we checked out and whilst waiting outside for a taxi noticed that the hotel had 4 stars on it's plaque, I seriously think that they should take one off..

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

This hotel has received mixed reports in the past. We found the service excellent and the restaurant excellent. The head waiter spent time with us explaining the menu and the amount we should order for our party of three.
at present part of the Avenida de velazquez is closed due to roadworks and this makes access to the hotel a bit more tricky and it is necessary to watch for a small sign on the right(if you are coming from the airport). these roadworks did not detract from our stay

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Comber Northern Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

We decided to stay at this hotel on the last night of the holiday as we had an early flight the next morning. We had hired a car and didn't think the hotel would be hard to find - wrong! After some time searching we went back to the car hire place at the airport who gave us directions and said it was easy to find. We returned to the motorway, saw the hotel and took the next exit off assuming we could find our way back along the road - wrong! No road back. 40 very frustrating minutes later we gave up and went back to the car hire place who ordered us a taxi - right decision - we never would have got there in a million years - a tortuous ride. However 17.50 euros was a little steep for a 5 minute taxi ride. This turned out to be the right decision as I think we would have had difficulty getting back to the airport with our hire car. The reception staff told us that we were near the beach and that there were restaurants there - hum!!! The hotel is located in the middle of what appears to be an industrial wasteland. Yes there is a shopping centre and burger king nearby if that's what you want. However we walked on down to the beach - about 20 mins walk through what must have been a well to do area but again very bleak. Our first view of the beach was an industrial factory complete with chimney, although at least it wasn't smoking. The "promenade" was undergoing development but wasn't a pretty sight. We saw no restaurants there althought we saw a few on the way back but none whetted our appetite. We decided to try the hotel menu which looked really good - wrong again. My friend ordered the chicken which was a really small portion and smothered in a horrible sauce with no vegetables or potatoes or anything - it was sent back as it was cold but when it came back the second time it was inedible - 14 euros. I had a fatty pork chop with mashed potato (Which was only half mashed) - 16 euros. If you fancied spirits they were a bargain at 9 euros a measure!! The wine however was a reasonable price.

Having said that the staff were very helpful. My friend was sharing a room with me and didn't fancy sharing a double bed so she went to reception and asked for a twin bedded room - I didn't think they existed. She offered to pay for another room. However she managed to get the one twin bedded room in the hotel. The receptionist said it wasn't normally allocated and had to get special permission to use it. The room was fine - just what to expect from a novotel.

We also had a free shuttle to the airport but beware the hours are limited - I think it's from 6.00 -10.00 and some other time in the evening. If you intend using the hotel I would check before you go.

OTher than this hotel has a linited hours shuttle servie this hotel has no right to say it is an airport hotel. There are several other hotels which appear to be just as near adn might be more easily accessible to cars.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Warsaw
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

Reception staffed by very personable, friendly, multilingual & helpful people. Located close to airport (15Euro taxi ride for 4KM) & opposite "centro commercial'...a shopping center.
leave the hotel & in a10 minute walk you can find a lot of local restaurants with good food (not my first stay at this location).
Intenet works well & is free. TV channel choice includes German, French channels & CNN is the only English language channel.
Room has a small minibar refrigerator...which I empty & then fill up with items bought from the carrefour across the street!
restaurant: small choice of dishes but are well prepared & reasonable quality

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

Mediocre hotel whose only advantage that is it close to the airport and has a free shuttle. Wouldn't recommend it for anything other than spending a night before morning flight out.
The restaurant has an ambitious menu but the food was so so.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

stayed at this hotel as part of cosmos tour of spain.In fact stayed twice once at beginning of tour and once at end.The hotel itself is very pleasant .The cost of food and drink is not very pleasant.Neither are the two girl receptionists.In the middle of a consversation with me she went off and dealt with someone else.Spanish speaking I think.Conversley when I tried to ask the receptionist where I put the key to my room whilst she was talking to someone who I think was Spanish she made me wait not only until she had dealt with him she went on to serve another Spanish speaker.I left the key on the reception desk and left.The other receptionist is not much better.The bar manager also finds it difficult to be pleasant.I noticed on our second visit to this hotel food prices had gone down and more people were eating in.The staff at the other hotels on this tour were VERY PLEASANT INDEED.Obviously ACCOR hotels need to train their staff properly

• Stayed August 2009

Been to Novotel Malaga Aeropuerto? Share your experiences!