“Good hotel, but website misleading” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Zenit Malaga

You added Hotel Zenit Malaga to your Saves list
Hotel Zenit Malaga
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cuba 1-3 | Salida 244 de Las N-340, 29013 Malaga, Spain   |
Offers & Announcements
BOOK AND SAVE
Ranked #18 of 89 Hotels in Malaga
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Birmingham
“Good hotel, but website misleading”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

We have just returned from a great holiday in Malaga and stayed in Hotel Zenit. We booked the hotel mainly because of the price, and I can't argue that it was good value for money with clean, well equipped rooms, a good breakfast, and ok location.

The main gripe I have with the hotel is due to the information provided on their website. We booked this particular hotel because the website indicated that our rate would include a room with a balcony, and that many of the rooms had balconies. This is not the case. When we arrived, the room we were booked into did NOT have a balcony. When I went down to request that we be moved into a balcony room which we had already booked and paid for, I was told by the receptionist that there were only four rooms with balconies, and none of these were free. She also said that she didn't know when they would next be free, although we may have misunderstood one another due to language issues. After a few minutes discussion with the receptionist, another member of staff (presumably a manager) arrived and said that if we could wait for half an hour, then we could have a room with a balcony (I guess it was just being cleaned!) So we did get the balcony in the end, but only after we had kicked up a bit of a fuss, which wasn't the best start to the holiday. Also, the website states that there is a hotel bar, but when we enquired about this we were told that the bar was closed over summer. Neither of these things are major issues, but given that our booking was based on the information provided on the website, it seemed a bit dishonest to advertised these features of the hotel if they were not going to be available.

Other than this however, the hotel was fine. As others have mentioned, it's about a 20 min walk to the city centre, and about 30 mins to the beach, which wasn't a problem for us, and after a night out, a taxi back was about 5 euro, which we thought was reasonable.

Having said that, based on our experience with this holiday, we probably wouldn't return to this particular hotel on our next trip to Malaga.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Birmingham, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

Location:
The hotel is located towards the north of the city. It’s not particularly central, but I found it to be within reasonable walking distance of the major attractions. I didn’t venture out into the neighbouring area at night, but it didn’t seem to be the nicest area, although this was just an assumption based on appearances, I didn’t actually experience any trouble whilst staying here. There were quite a few supermarkets within walking distance, which is handy if you are trying to keep costs low.
I got a taxi from the airport, which cost about 18€, then the train back on my return, approximately 1,5€.

Rooms:
Within a room there is a hallway, bathroom and bedroom, so it’s a pretty decent size. The hallway had wardrobe in with a programmable safe. The bathroom had a bath/ shower, double sinks, toilet and bidet. The bedroom had a double bed with bedside tables, and main table with television. The bedroom was quite small in size, with all the furniture tightly fitting in, although I didn’t find this to be a problem. There was also a well-stocked minibar. The television did not have English channels, although I found this a plus-point as I was there to practise my Spanish skills, and enjoyed watched Buffy & Dawson’s Creek dubbed into Spanish!

Restaurant:
There is a restaurant, and you can get a breakfast buffet for £6. I didn’t use the restaurant so I can’t include it in this review.

Overall Recommendation:
I chose this hotel because it was the cheapest one I could find in central Malaga. I would recommend it to anybody who is looking for a hotel with similar goals in mind! Not luxurious, but a nice hotel nonetheless.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Ottawa, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

Hotel Zenit Malaga was a great choice - its well priced, clean and location was great - it is a little north of the central area, but right outside, there's the bus stop and the bus comes frequently and is only 1 Euro, this only takes 5-10mins until you are right in the center. Rooms were clean, although a little small. Washrooms were clean and well prepared. I'd recommend this hotel for sure!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Arriving late at night and travelling on to Sevilla the next day all we wanted from the Zenit was a clean and comfortable place to sleep. Having paid a mere £41.90 through lastminute for B&B we weren't expecting too much, however we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel; the huge bathroom, well appointed room and gigantic balcony. The staff were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable and the breakfast high quality and varied including many Spanish delicacies. Not in the immediate centre, but only a few minutes walk away. Excellent value for money a stones throw from all the sights of Malaga.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

I chose this hotel mainly because it was the cheapest one I could find that seemed to be in a reasonable location. I'd say it was pretty good value for money.
The outer door to the room opens into a hallway containing a wardrobe and safe. There are then two internal doors to the bathroom and bedroom. The bathroom contained two wash basins, a bath/ shower, a toilet and bidet. The bedroom was a nice size, with a double bed, two bedside tables, desk and television. It contained a minibar with a small selection of drinks and snacks. The window had blackout curtains which are very good for anybody who has trouble sleeping.

The location of the hotel was fairly close to the city centre, quite easy to walk to, although I didn't think the area was somewhere I'd like to walk alone in at night. I would recommend making sure you have a map telling you how to get to the centre, as it is not very well sign-posted, and I did a lot of aimless wandering before I finally found a central location (although sometimes aimless wandering is a nice way to get to know a place).

Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Cleobury Mortimer, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

Hotel Zenit in Malaga is situated slightly north of the main center of town - its location isn't a problem but the walk to the center is a little bit longer than their website claims. There didn't seem to be many restaurants or bars on the doorstep but just around the corner we found a really great restaurant that did delicious food. The room was fine, with a big bathroom, which was great (athough there was a slight smell coming from the drain!) and very very comfy beds! The staff were polite and we had everything we needed.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Ely, Cambridgeshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

We stayed in the Zenit Malaga at the end of March so we could view some of the Semana Santa processions. The hotel is very clean and the staff always friendly and happy to help with any queries. As mentioned in other reviews, it does take around 20 mins to get to the cathedral area, and perhaps 35 mins to get to the beach. There are plenty of buses and taxis around, but we always walked. Our hotel room was perhaps the smallest that we have ever stayed in, and the only view from the window was the wall of an internal shaft that went all the way up to the roof. That said however, as we only went back to the room to sleep it wasn't an issue. The minibar was refreshed each day, as were the toiletries and towels. There were only two English channels on the TV, but this gave me a chance to practice my Spanish skills! The hotel does provide free WiFi and we used it each day without any connection issues. All in all a very good budget hotel and I would recommend it to anyone looking to stay in Malaga.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Zenit Malaga? Share your experiences!