“Solid Malagan food with a twist” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #643 of 1,369 Restaurants in Malaga
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Welcome to Restaurant ALEA, gastronomic reference Malaga, located in a historic area of outstanding beauty on the emblematic Calle Larios area.Among ancient walls that formed part of the walls of Muslim Málaga, ALEA stands. Walls that back in the eighth century witnessed the splendor and prosperity Malacitana brought by the various peoples and cultures that settled here. City was rich in shops, merchants and crafts that years later would name to much of its historic neighboring streets. Such is the case of Furnace Street, parallel to this, which owes its name to the existence in the past of a bakery. Commonly used as a mill in the eighteenth century, it housed several waterwheels to grind flour for making bread. Can still be seen the erosion of the wagon wheel at the base of the marble pillar restaurant and a "snack" that made therein to rotate. In the late nineteenth century the place becomes a noodle factory upstairs allocating a drying and storage and low for sale.In the reform carried out in 2009 by renowned architect Jose Ramon Fauras kept details of the structure seen S.XVIII (wooden beams, original walls, marble columns, large windows ...) while stationed to implement the space with splashes of color and art notes using also green materials and the latest technology.
York, United Kingdom
“Solid Malagan food with a twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

This is just a neighbourhood bistro providing solid Malagan food with a slight Japanese twist, as one of the chefs seem to be from Japan. Croquettas, local fish, an amuse bouche rather like gazpacho andalucean, they provide Malagan gazpacho on the menu.A very reasonable Malagan wine to complete the, not very expensive, meal. A useful place to know. Staff friendly and trying hard to please, decor fine.

RestauranteALEA, Propietario at Alea, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you very much for leaving your opinion on tripadvisor and we hope that your opinion will help other people to know us. We are very happy that you enjoyed the food and decor. We hope to visit again soon

Granada, Spain
“Nice & "cosy" restaurant in the center of Málaga”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

A perfect place to relax and enjoy with your friends with a nice and modern fashioned menu, attended with professionalism and satisfying. The restaurant is located in a restorated old house with different ambients, and its perfect for professional meals and romantic dinners. You must try it!

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Just enjoy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a pleasant evening in Alea. The staff was very nice, nice restaurant and the food was....excelent! I do recommend it. We will come back. Thank you for a marvelous time in Málaga!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Malaga
“Perfecto!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I saw this restaurant before Christmas and it was packed and we couldn't get a table. I then had the opportunity to take my team out for dinner and needed to choose a restaurant. I was concerned about the choice based on the last rating in Trip Advisor. However, what a fantastic choice I made! The restaurant was not busy and we arrived early by Spanish standards, the initial service was not great - there appeared to be no one around. This soon changed as the staff arrived (our table was booked for 8.30 pm). We had a multi-cultural team around the table (Dutch, Austrian, Italian, Tunisian, Spanish, Romanian and English) and every single one of us rated the culinary experience extremely highly. The food was simply to die for. The food was so good that I asked my Spanish colleague what the phrase for "I am in heaven" was so I could tell the waitress.

We ordered the signature started dishes, the pate, which was incredible, the duck with honey and olive oil was sensational and the prawns were exceptional - heads and tails on but peeled bodies wrapped in crispy noodle. This was a taste and texture delight. The coup de grace was the main course where we elected to share 2 kilos of steak between us - with one person ordering the lasagne. We ordered quarter the meat well done, quarter rare and the last kilo medium. The waitress brought a hot plate so that we could cook the meat further if required. The beef was wonderful.

I think the service could perhaps have been more attentive but that did not detract from the experience and the waitress was extremely pleasant and added to my enjoyment of the evening. The beef came with some potatoes and that's all - it was a carnivorous feast and I enjoyed and savoured every last morsel.

I highly recommend this restaurant if you like great and interesting food. It certainly enhanced my profile with the team and I have now been placed in charge of all future restaurant choices! Well done ALEA; a special place that I will most certainly return to.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leuven, Belgium
“Disappointing...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We passed this restaurant after first going to Sarmiento in the same street. As it looked nice from the outside, we decided to try that this restaurant the next day. But that was a mistake! To be honest, this was the least good dining experience during our 7 day vacation in Málaga and Córdoba. What was bad? Nothing really bad, but nothing was good either. Service was friendly and the waitress did her best but couldn't make up for the bad food experience. The bread with the meal was this industrial bakked bread, I didn't even touch it. My starter was the famous russian salad but that's just a waste of tuna! I can't understand how you can ruin such a beautiful fish with mayonnaise, eggs and potatoes. It's just madness. But ok, I tried it and it wasn't my cup of tea. Also the way they presented it wasn't really appetizing. Especially the big bowl of crackers was really bad. My girlfriend had a salad with chicken, bacon, kiwi, mango, orange and lettuce. A really strange and not so good combination. Afterwards we had the duck and the Iberian pork. The meat was well cooked, but that's all. The vegetables on the side were burned (pork) and the vegetables with the duck were again very strange in flavour combination. All in all we didn't finish any of the four dishes we ordered and that's not good.
The wine selection is nice, but the staff has no wine knowledge at all. When I asked which grapevarieties were in the wine, the waitress just said: it's a good wine!? So I asked again and bothered by my question she left our table. She came back with the bottle to show me that the grapes weren't mentioned on the etiquette. Hahaha, what a joke. And no one working in the restaurant seemed to know it. They have a beautiful glass wine cooling chamber but they have no idea what's in it!

• Visited September 2011