“This Restaurant gave me food poisoning” 1 of 5 stars
Review of El Chinitas

El Chinitas
Calle Moreno Monroy, 4-6, 29015 Malaga, Spain (Centro)
+34 952210972
Improve this listing
Ranked #348 of 1,239 Restaurants in Malaga
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Centro
Bath
“This Restaurant gave me food poisoning”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This was the worst paella I have ever had. The muscles were rubbery, the prawns floury and dry and I was violently sick during most of the night after eating here. Our starter of shrimp omelette, was not really an omelette but more like a revolting pancake. I had high expectations of this restaurant but was thoroughly disappointed and consequently was so ill that it ruined the remainder of my four night holiday. I would NOT recommend this restaurant to anybody.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
bradford
“Fun, but the food wasn't special.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

I went here for dinner recently, and was served a fish soup, follwed by a platter of mussels and clams as my main dish. The soup was OK, but a bit thin and quite salty, and I can take some salt! The main was nothing very special, though perfectly competently executed, but the sauce was a bit watery and bland, in contrast to the salty soup. Wine was white house wine, and was nothing out of the ordinary, though perfectly palatable. This is quite a well-known restaurant, and the service was good, though I did find that with all the little extras, the cost mounted up. I paid over 37 euros, which is quite a lot, considering I travelled alone on this occasion. On the other hand, the staff made me feel comfortable and welcome, and I got into conversation with some British people who were trying the tasting menu. This looked much more exciting than what I had, though again, not cheap. Some others were served a paella-like dish of rice with prawns, which also looked attractive. I will try it again, as the place has got some character, but foodies beware! It may not be the gastronomic delight you are looking for!

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great fun, not for the faint hearted”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

This restaurant had been on our list from the planning stage, following a strong recommendation by a friend who often visits Malaga. We ate early and without booking and we each ordered the degustation (taster) menu because we hoped to find something a bit off the tourist track. So we approached the food with a completely open mind. Some of it we really liked ( there were five or six dishes) and some we weren't so keen on. One dish in particular was calamari stuffed with beautifully slow cooked ox cheek - an absolute surprise and one I'll cook myself at home. The sheer quantity of food was almost overwhelming and we had to skip dessert, so it might be a good idea to share one between two! The waiting staff were professional and friendly and keen for us to try things. It wasn't outrageously expensive and the wine list was pretty good. I think it's really important that these traditional dishes don't get driven out by metropolitan foodie types. Sadly we found the restaurants in Malaga that we tried tended to stick to safe favourites. Vegetables in particular we given a hard time and yet the local market is groaning with wonderful produce. However we enjoyed our meal, enjoyed the ambience and the live piano and would certainly go again.

• Visited February 2012
Hamilton, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

El Chinitas proved to be a series of contradictions. Lovely traditional decor, nice feeling of history and pleasant service. The food however was inconsistent. Some nice starters, but the salad was bland. The lemon sole was perfect, but the monkfish had a sauce more suited to a meat dish. Worth another try, but the jury is still out on this one.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely restaurant in the centre of the old town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Had visited this restaurant of our previous visit to the city and so decided to go back and we were not disappointed. The restaurant is quite old fashioned but very authentic and there was a pianist playing which was lovely. The staff were very friendly and efficient. The menu is extensive with many meat and fish options to choose from. We had two courses each and coffee and were very happy with everything. Really lovely restaurant.

• Visited January 2012