“A great week at a great hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Senator Banus Spa Hotel

You added Senator Banus Spa Hotel to your Saves list
Senator Banus Spa Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Urb. Benamara , Crta N 340 KM 168, 29680 Estepona, Spain   |
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Estepona
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A great week at a great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2014

Booked this hotel for a last minute beak in October and as we didn't pay much I wasn't expecting much! But we were very pleasantly surprised with all aspects of this clean,bright and modern hotel - the spacious room, the free spa, 2 large pools, nice gardens and pool bar. Even the location, just off a busy road wasn't a problem as all rooms were at the back of the hotel with a pool view. Also, as we had no car, it was convenient for catching the bus to Estepona, Puerto Banus & Marbella.

As we were room only, I can't comment on the food, however I can recommend Cocomo restaurant next to the hotel. Good quality meals at reasonable prices. Very popular so booking advised.

I had such a lovely week here that I am planning to return next year and that's something I rarely do.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2014

Great hotel with very good staff.
We had a suite and couldn't fault it. Good size bedroom and separate lounge. The service in our room was as good as anywhere. And the lady looking after our room was a gem. My only criticism would be the food was disappointing and the restaurant needed more staff. I will come back in May and am really looking forward to it. A great place to rest and a good base for visiting the Costa del Sol.
Thank you to the staff for a qreat holiday.
Simon Lord

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Bawtry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2014

Stayed here with my friend for a long weekend, the rooms are amazing, very comfortable and the service was excellent, we arrived very late at the hotel and the receptionist went above and beyond to help us.

The weather was not very good on our last day so we decided to use the spa facilities, we did this for free however if I had paid would have been very disappointed, the member of staff was very rude, there were not a lot of facilities working and only had a 2 hour slot, very expensive spa at 90 euros if you did pay, definitely not worth it :-) did mention this to the hotel reception when we checked out and they were going to report this back.

Breakfast was lovely with a good selection and a lovely Nespresso machine.

Location is not brilliant but there is enough around if you wanted to venture outside for a meal or a drink, we went into Banus which cost us 20 euros return in a taxi and it was the same to Benahavis.

Looking forward to returning again in October 2015.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2014

Really enjoyed our stay and would probably stay again if in the area.
Not a big hotel and overall definitely a four rather than a five star to manage expectations but it is good. The rooms are of a very good size with big balconies all overlooking the pool. Lots of greenery provided in the view from neighbouring land and not overlooked which is nice. We were on the second floor and so didn't have a sea view at that height over the palm trees. All along this coast its best to get out and about but there are surprisingly good restaurants neighbouring and over the A7 via the footbridge to this hotel and look them up on tripadvisor to read the great reviews. The Lebanese, Thai and local tapas were all fabulous.
Definitely walk down the left of the hotel and through the villas to the beach as you'll find the lovely Salduna Beach to go for the day, enjoy a drink or a meal. A more chilled vibe than some other beach clubs.
I'd say a car is definitely needed for this hotel if you're there for more than a few days. Its great then to go to estepona, particularly to the old town and to Benehavis which it is fabulous to visit in the day as well as to eat at the fabulous restaurants at night. Puerto Banus is also a short taxi ride away from this hotel.
Overall a good hotel that i'd recommend in the area.

• Stayed October 2014
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Banus Spa Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2014
Dear Guests,
I would like to thank you for your comments, as it is through them the best way we can improve the quality of our service, understanding the perception of our product and most important the quality and friendly service we provide
We stay in your entire disposal and hope that you return to visit us in other occasions, meanwhile we will continue working in achieving our goal that is that our guests enjoy their stay along their holiday in our establishment.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

I partook of my holiday in September and waited to write a review so I could read the subsequent comments made by others. To be short and brief this is definitely NOT a 5 star hotel and I would agree with all the previous comments on this account so I will not detail yet again the reasons why. The majority of remarks referring to the rooms were positive and I absolutely concur with this and I can only say that our room sited on the top floor was immaculate and kept that way by the maids. One thing we always do is leave a tip on the day of arrival in our room for the maid and her thankless tasks and perhaps this had some influence , I would hope so. The breakfast was fine despite the negatives from some guests and the only BIG NEGATIVE is the poor man on the grill who had to work his cotton socks off to cope with all the different orders from the inevitable queue
that was there on a daily basis . Queuing in a 5 star hotel , you must be joking and just how the restaurant manager who strutted around like captain peacock could habitually turn a blind eye to what his guests were undoubtedly suffering is beyond me having had pointed this out to him. The evening dinners were thankfully self service as otherwise the few and hard pressed staff would not be able to cope . The meals were well presented and there was always a large and satisfying choice so this is a positive despite what others have said. Yes the wine is horrendously expensive and do not , I repeat , do not just have a glass of the house wine as you are served the smallest and meanest amount I have ever endured on my travels and all for the remarkable sum of €4.80 for a couple of mouthfuls . I suppose the negatives pointed at the reception staff really depended on the shift but we personally found them helpful and enchanting with special attention and thanks to the amiable doorman/ porter who actually enjoyed his job and this really showed.
Would I stay here again ? No , not until the management stop saying since April ( read the replies ) that they take customers comments seriously and always endeavour to act upon them and do just that instead of empty political promises. Hope this has been of some use to fellow travellers .

Room Tip: Choose a top 5 floor room as the balcony has railings and not a solid concrete barrier so that you a...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,
First of all thank you for your comments, because it is the best way to learn about the experiences of our guests during your holiday.
We once again thank you and are looking forward welcoming you to any of our establishments

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

Another high point in our travels was this stop of for us on the way to the airport. We were not expecting too much it was of a busy motor way. We were pleasantly surprised as it is lovely and most of the staff were so helpful. Be warned if you want a treatment ( this is a spa hotel) book in advance. Reception said I could go along when they opened at 5pm but when we got there ( I wanted a manicure) they were fully booked and not as friendly as the other staff in the hotel. It is a relatively short drive to the airport a welcome rest at the end of our travels. The rooms are great and the crooner at 10pm was good fun. The beach is a 10 minute walk fromthe hotel but that was ok for us as we were not expecting to have access to a beach.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Know that it is our goal that always pass a different experience and that's what we are working and trying to improve every day.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2014

First of all, this review is based on the fact that this hotel is rated as a 5 star hotel.

Positives:
- Room was very nice and spacious. The balcony area was quite large and had room for 2 sunbeds.

- Pool area is very modern and in excellent condition. Sun loungers are very comfortable and much better than average plastic sun loungers you sometimes find at other hotels/resorts.

- Spa treatments were good (booking required).

- Adults only hotel which meant the hotel and pool area were always quiet and relaxing.

Negatives:
- Staff are not friendly or welcoming. Upon first arrival we were immediately asked for our passports and hotel voucher and were offered no help with our luggage. This is not a major issue, just pointing out that this is not exactly a 5 star welcome or experience.

- There was a mistake on our bill at the pool bar. An incorrect bill was given to us and when this was queried, the staff member became angry and began to speak aggressively in Spanish! That was our first and last trip to the pool bar!

- Location is not fantastic if you're expecting easy access to the marinas of Estepona or Marbella. The hotel is located adjacent to a main motorway (A7) and whilst there are some good restaurants and bars close to the hotel, to access a lot of these involves crossing a large footbridge to get to the other side of the road. May not be a major issue but for anybody with vertigo or perhaps elderly people, this might not be what you want on holidays.

- I visited the gym once. Some equipment was not working and I noticed ants on the floor. Again, I wouldn't say the gym facilities were terrible but definitely not anywhere near what you would expect from a 5 star.

- Having to pay to access the sauna/steam room and spa area. I was surprised that this would be an extra cost having already paid to stay in a 5 star hotel.

- Came back to our room one day to find our door had been left open by house-keeping. I have also noticed other reviews mentioning this.

Overall, this is a nice enough hotel and you can definitely have a relaxing break here as long as you are not expecting an ultimate 5 star luxury experience. If you manage to get a good deal then I would definitely recommend a week here, but under no circumstances would I recommend anyone paying full 5 star prices to stay here.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately has not been 100% satisfied in our hotel, will of course take note of the points that tells us to improve them. We hope us a second chance.

Manager

Been to Senator Banus Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!