“Lovely beachfront hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of H10 Estepona Palace

You added H10 Estepona Palace to your Saves list
H10 Estepona Palace
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda del Carmen | Playa del Guadalobon, 29680 Estepona, Spain   |
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Estepona
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wirral
“Lovely beachfront hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We've just returned from a 2 night b&b stay at this hotel. The purpose of our trip was to scatter my father's ashes in the sea off Estepona where he lived later in life. So we wanted a nice relaxing place to stay which was not likely to give us problems. The hotel certainly met this criteria and I don't think they knew the purpose of the trip. I had emailed in advance to the concierge in case they could help us with boat charter. I received a prompt and polite reply but they do not have a boat and could not find a better arrangement than I had found elsewhere (contact me for details as it was very good). So if this enquiry had been added to our booking info then maybe they did know...

On arrival we needed a double and a twin instead of the 2 doubles we had booked as my teenage nephew came with the three of us as a late addition. At first they said they were fully booked and therefore there would be no twin room available but when pressed, the receptionist found a family room on the same floor as our room (the 6th floor which as she said contains lovely superior rooms). We were offered a glass of sparkly each and orange juice for my nephew. We thought that despite the 'problem' of the rooms, check in was efficient but then realised that we hadn't been told a number of things e.g. about the safe in room, pool towels etc. this info was however in the brochure in the room.
We were able to set up the safe in our room without paying as it did not need a key. We paid €15 deposit for a pool towel but my brother and nephew got them free which was confusing - they weren't told they were in Privelge group. One or two of the more senior members of reception were extremely helpful, helping us with a restaurant booking (in the town) and enabling us to keep one of the rooms until 2pm on our last day when previously we had been told that we could not extend check out.

Our booking (with Expedia) stated a sea view room which we certainly had and an entry into the spa (one per person per stay). My nephew was not allowed in the spa as minimum age is 16. We were advised to book a slot at the spa. This was a two hour slot and enabled us to do the 'circuit' of hydrotherapy features - essential oil showers, jacuzzis and other water massage features, steam room, sauna, pool. There was a small gym too but we didn't use it or have any treatments. The spa was very good and although we don't usually go into a spa if it's hot and sunny outside we were glad we did as it was lovely and relaxing. Flip flops are compulsory and can be hired for €2 and they give you a swimming cap which must be worn. A towel and a locker which doesnt need a coin is also provided.

Breakfast was very good with lots of selection. But as others have said, the staff were very busy and it was quite difficult to order tea or coffee on one of the days. I was very pleased to find a filter coffee machine which did decaffeinated coffee! After checking out on Sunday we paid for the buffet lunch, €22 and less (€11?) for my nephew. This was good value and a nice way to have a good meal before our journey home.

We were pleased that we'd chosen this hotel for our trip and would return again another time. The location was excellent for us and it was especially nice to be so near the beach. The rooms we had were spacious and bright, beds very firm.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the nicer the view, especially sea facing.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night stay in the Estepona palace. We stayed bed and breakfast and had 3 full days there. Overall we had a great time away. The hotel was very nice, big and airy. The rooms were a good size for 3 of us sharing, clean but the balcony a little small and we only had 2 chairs. The pool and surrounding were lovely, very pleasing to the eye and although we did not make use of the loungers on the beach it was lovely to hear the waves rolling in as we lay by the pool. Would recommend putting towels down early as everybody else seems to do this. The breakfast was vast, plenty for all tastes....would definitely recommend the omelets to order.

On the negative side we all felt that customer service is where this hotel lets you down. The majority (not all) of the staff at the front desk seemed less than enthusiastic about helping us with any issues or requests during our stay. It was particularly disappointing that the public relations manager on duty during our stay was possibly the least attentive.

We had a poor experience in the hotel spa. My friends and I all booked in for a manicure while we were there. We all went one after the other and individually felt that the manicure was painful when she was using the cuticle stick. Additionally the same stick seemed to be used for each of us, we should have said something at the time but we are not normally people to complain and it was only when the third one of us had her finger cut with the stick that afterwards we felt we should mention this to the hotel desk. We were then made to feel bad for complaining. My understanding of public relations is that they are supposed to help you. After being informed that manicures do sometimes hurt and that this is the way they do them here finally they gave my friend a 50% refund for her experience (10% was the first offer). For anyone tempted to a manicure take note that a coat of nail polish is extra. Perhaps if we had paid out the extra euros for the Privilege Service we might have been treated differently.

Additionally there are no irons in this hotel as we discovered just before an evening out. A pay laundry service is available instead, with notice.

So in summary, it is a lovely looking hotel, perfect for a weekend of relaxation as long as you don't come across any issues then its just down to who is manning the front desk.

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Just arrived back from a week at The H10 Estapona Palace and had a lovely week. We booked our holiday with Monarch Holidays and got a great deal....bed, breakfast and evening meal and although we were a little worried after reading some of the negative reviews, all in all our experience was a good one. On arrival we were greeted with a smile and offered a glass of sparkling wine....good start! Our room was on the 5th floor and had plenty of space, the bathroom was quite large and the shower was brilliant......the view however was dire! We could see the sea ok but also a view of the waste ground which resembled a tip with an abandoned vehicle and what looked like farm machinery, I hasten to add we didn't sit out on the balcony the whole holiday! The hotel in general was clean and spacious, ok maybe in some areas it required a little TLC but it's near the end of the season and needing a spot of paint here and there wasn't going to spoil our holiday. The pool area was lovely with plenty of sun beds to go around but the pools weren't heated and the water was very cold, the beach isn't the best (shingle not sand) but the sun loungers were comfortable. The food was very good, lots of choice and certain foods were cooked to order, we couldn't fault the food at all and there was something to suit all tastes. We found the dining area hadn't enough staff though, the staff that worked in there were run off their feet and on two occasions we cleared our table ourselves in order to eat our next course also getting served tea/coffee at breakfast was a nightmare. The hotel have a Privilege Service for an extra cost of course, this entitles you to lots of extras.....pool towels, dressing gowns, express service in the dining room, special lounge area etc etc. We didn't pay for this service so can't comment on it's value for money but we did think there was a 'them and us' feel about the place. The staff overall were very pleasant and the reception staff couldn't be more helpful. A walk into the Marina takes about 20 mins and can be reached via the beach or the road......Estapona Centre takes about 50 mins but is a lovely stroll along the Promenade. Over all our stay at The H10 was a good one and we would recommend it to friends. For information only......it cost €2 a day plus €10 deposit for a key to the in room safe (never had to pay for a safe before), taxi from Malaga Airport was €85, Estapona Centre and The Marina €6, Pool towels aren't included so you will need to take your own unless you go Privilege. Irons aren't available but the Hotel do have a laundry service and any garments requiring ironing can be handed to reception in the morning and will be returned later same day. Hope this helps :0)

Room Tip: Room 573 had a dreadful view......ask to change if the view is important to you.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We arrived late afternoon and were greeted at reception with one glass of sparkling wine, although there were 2 of us. The hotel reception staff helped as if they were at the end of the season and were a bit bored. I would suggest smiliing a bit more when excited holiday makers turn up. The hotel itself was very spacious large areas and very clean, very happy with the appearance of the hotel. Our room was again very spacious, the view was to be desired but then we did not specify so cant comment to much. Bathroom was also big and clean. The rooms were very nice. Although my grumbles here were the fact that there were no tea and coffee making facilities in the room, no iron or ironing board, the room safe you had to pay for. Also the only english channels on the TV were news, one entertainment channel would have been nice. When asking about Pool towels we had to leave a deposit for these which again was slightly annoying considering the ratings of the hotel, and costs.
The hotel pool facilties and beach access were faultless very nice.
Breakfast Buffett very god and lots of varirty.
If you are thinking of having a wedding here, i can highly recommend it. My friends held their wedding at the Estepona Palace and from start till finish it was amazing. Staff were brilliant, it all ran on time, the food was lovely. The area where the wedding took place was amazing. Very well done.

York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We have just had 11 nights at this lovely hotel which is situated on the beach looking out over Gibraltar and on a clear day Morocco.
This was quite an expensive holiday as all inclusive Med hols go but I feel it was money very well spent.
Firstly the welcome at reception was warm and professional and after a glass of Cava we went up to our sea view room which had a flat screen t.v........usual news channels,a well fitted bathroom which was spotless,pillows to die for.....not the usual lumpy things squashed into a pillow case and ample storage.one negative though the hanging rails in the wardrobe were not high enough for my long dresses.but that is a minor issue really.
Lifts were very quick and not a problem.
The public ares in this hotel are splendid quite modern and extremely spacious with a real feel of quality!The massive restaurant has a small outdoor dining area.........could be bigger,the food was excellent with a massive choice at every meal.I especially enjoyed the choice of dressings and sauces to go with the various salads and meats and all the little extras such as the chocolate fountain !!!
The drink quality was outstanding and was served by excellent staff.We had named brands including a brilliant choice of different Gins etc. Some drinks incurred a charge but very few.
A lot of people were not all inclusive and I must say the drinks were not cheap but they were well served and excellent quality,you get what you pay for!!
Entertainment during the day consisted of Aqua gym,walks,rifle shooting and boules etc. this was provided by two lovely people who never pressurised you to take part.At night there was dancing to a singer or some professional dancers..........they were excellent.
I would have liked a few quizzes or games or even the odd karaoke but thats not for everyone
I guess.
The beach was not brilliant at Estepona but there was a bus station in town and we had a trip to Gibraltar for less than 5 euros each way,Marbella was even less.
All in all to sum up this hotel I found every member of its staff friendly,polite and very helpful.
I slept very well every night,there was no loud noise to bother us and I left feeling very relaxed and having had a superb holiday

Room Tip: Most rooms face the sea so dont bother to pay the sea view supplement
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed for one night on our travels through Spain. Fantastic location right on the beach with lovely grounds and free flow pools. We have stayed here previously when it had been busier and had difficulty in getting sun beds, but not so this time. Most rooms have great sea views, ours was on the 5th floor looking towards Gibraltar with an acceptable size balcony. We had dinner and breakfast (ate outside) and found the food most acceptable. No problem with service that has been previously mentioned and all staff were very attentive. The entertainment that night (Friday) was a let down with hardly anyone listening (we did not stay long). Will definitely be staying again as we visit Spain at this time each year. The price was quite high in comparison other hotels we had used on our trip but was acceptable for one night. I was told that I was being upgraded from an "economy room" although I was certain I had booked a sea facing room. Have stayed in a number of H10 Hotels and this one is not so generous with its supply of toiletries, so be prepared.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and must be sea facing.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We arrived by hire car at about midnight only to find there was nowhere to park the car so I asked at reception and I was informed that I could park in the hotel car park for €6.50 per night. As I was going to stay for 10 days €65 seemed very expensive so I only booked it for one night. After that I parked on some waste land over the road with lots of other guests, no problem and very handy. I had asked for a quiet room with a sea view and was given room 309 which overlooked a swimming pool belonging to some nearby apartments and a partial sea view, and our room was very quiet through out our stay. There were plenty of signs for fire exits, extinguishers, hose pipes etc. The room was quite large with a nice sized bathroom and shower, the bed was large and very firm which didn’t bother me but the pillows were also very firm which I did find a problem. A good sized flat screen TV with 30 channels available made a nice change from the tiny sets normally provided. The wardrobe was of a good size with four drawers and a safe although the safe will cost you to use it, about €2 per day. Wi-Fi is free according to the signage but you have to go to reception to obtain a pass. They do have 4 PC’s available at €2 for 10 minutes by coin operated slots. Breakfast was fantastic with an unbelievable amount of choice with hot food cooked while you wait. I found the staff very efficient at bringing tea /coffee and clearing away plates. The hotel reception area is on two levels and is impressive with plenty of soft seats leading to the pool on the lower level. The pool area is quite large with various sized pools and waterfalls, the smaller children’s pool a nice distance away from the main pool plus there was a lifeguard on duty to oversee the main pools. There is a poolside bar with a good choice of lunchtime snacks and indoor/outdoor seating. Entertainment was mainly in the main bar which we didn’t really find up to much at all being much the same as all other hotels so we tended to have our drinks in the chill out terrace bar overlooking the sea. However, be warned that the drinks in this bar are more expensive than the other bar. Booking all our drinks to our room number we didn’t realise until the end of our stay, there are no notices warning you that drinking in the chill bar is more expensive. The sand and sea are right on the edge of the hotel with beds provided on the beach but the sand here is very coarse. The walk to Estepona is a good 20 minutes walk to the marina and 40 minutes to the town along a dull dual carriage way, it would be a good idea if the hotel ran a mini bus there and back every hour as there is nothing at all near the hotel. There are plenty of good restaurants at the marina but I found a much better selection in the town and drove there parking on one of the underground car parks which are on the front and are very reasonably priced. All in all I found the hotel very good but they charge extra for everything and this can build up if you’re not careful. Would I would go back again, yes.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west are the quietest.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to H10 Estepona Palace? Share your experiences!