“Fabulous holiday, would recomend to anyone” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa

Save Saved
You added Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa to your Saves list
Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Urbanizacion Arena Beach | Carretera Estepona - Cadiz, Km 151, 29680 Estepona, Spain   |
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Estepona
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulous holiday, would recomend to anyone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I returned home from my weeks holiday with my girlfriend yesterday after our first holiday together. I can't sing high enough praises about this resort, everything about it oozes quality. By far one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in and I say that having been lucky enough to stay in quite a few around the world.

As I say, every little detail of this place is perfect for a lovely get away, we went here with incredibly high expectations having read pretty much every review on trip advisor, we still had our expectations beaten.

Let me start with the staff, you often hear the people make the place and that is certainly the case at this hotel, every single member of staff we encountered was lovely, they did everything they could to help you and couldn't have been more courteous. I was astounded at just how good their English was, certainly the reception staff, everything ran perfectly but I get the impression that had there been complications there would be no battle with a language barrier. Felt in very safe hands in that respect.

The value is great, We were lucky enough to get a good deal on one of the "trivago" or "secret escape" type websites (forget which one) and so we got a very good price, however I'd have been happy to pay more to guarrentee staying here, and probably will in the future if we can't get the same deal.

Sleep quality was excellent, partly because relaxing in the sun takes it out of you and partly because the room was so lovely. There was a fan and brilliant air con in our room so the temperature was always lovely. We also had live music in the area just below our balcony which was nice to sit and listen to. One thing worth noting though is that this did go on until nearing 12pm. It's not a complaint from my part, but just something worth noting for some people who are light sleepers who would be wanting to get early nights. We never found it a problem though with the door shut it was fine.

Cleanliness is excellent, the cleaning staff are wonderful, rooms cleaned every day to a very very high standard. Not just cleaned, but tidied too. My girlfriend is rather messy and so it was a shock to me to after only 24 hours find her shoes, straighteners, make up bits and other things strewn around the room and so it was so lovely to find everything had been tidied up by the maids when we came up from the beach. Unfortunately it didn't last long as 30 minutes later she'd strewn it about the place again... but hey that's a review of my girlfriend not the hotel.

Location I think is perfect for what we wanted. It is out of the holiday experience is far from the Malaga party nights that the people who were getting off the coach before us were headed to.
It's about an hour and a half from Malaga airport (what I imagine most people will fly in to) and has a duel carriage way literally outside it. This is not a problem though as you can't hear it at all from in the hotel, even in the foyer, probably the part closest to it.
There is an Aldi, literally across the road, about a 2 minute walk over the bridge which is fantastic. You can get all of your water, wine and snacks for the room here at a fantastic price, you won't believe how close it is... so so convenient.
The hotel is about a 10 minute taxi drive from Estapona town this equated to between 8.50 and 9.25 euros each way which is not bad at all. They drop you right near a taxi rank and so you don't need to worry about getting back.
We saw this described as an "old town" in some reveiws, and some people were a bit flipant about it. It is beautiful, it has a beach running all the way across it, loads of little shops and restaurants and loads of beach bars with the coldest beer you've ever had that literally frosts the glass as it's poured. It all so has the best cocktails there too that are very cheap... all of this delivered to you on your sun lounger on the beach. Definitely visit this area in your first few days and make your mind up, as we left it quite late and were both disappointed in the days that we could have spent here.
If you don't want to travel into the town to visit the beach, fear not because in addition to its two pools the hotel also has a beach right out side with free to use sun loungers and parasols. This is about a 30 second walk from the hotels pool area.
Just around the corner on the beach is a nudist beach, so if you fancy going there to remove the tan lines you can, we both walked over there but bottled it.
In summary the area could not be more perfect.

Rooms are perfect, ours was HUGE. More space than you knew what to do with, my girlfriend just took that as more of a space to leave her things lying about however.
Bathroom is gorgeous and again it's massive, with a shower and a bath and his and hers sinks.
Lovely wardrobes that i believe all have a free to use safe which is handy to keep passports etc in. (not that either of us felt worried for our possessions at any point, but better safe than sorry). (Pun originally not intended then seen when double checking and intentionally left in)

Can't say much about the spa as I didn't actually go in but the area just outside it looks beautiful and so I'd imagine that continues throughout, but I did use the gym several times, which I can say is great. Got a great range of machines and even better... it's free to use.

The food... there are a few reviews on here that say it isn't five star quality and some that really do complain about it's quality. I have to say I want to meet these people and try the food they're comparing it to because the food in hotel Elba is great. A huge huge choice, we were half board and every night there are 3 fish and 3 meats that you can have cooked in front of you to exactly how you like. The nights are themed and the salads and pastas and other delights are plenty and varied. There's also a children's section with plenty of food they're sure to like, chips, pizzas etc for any fussy eaters.
Breakfast is even better, every morning there's cereal, toasts with I think 5 or 6 different breads, danishes , croissants ,jams, pancakes, waffles, bacon, beans, and omelets cooked in front of you.
Honestly some of the nicest food I've tasted in a hotel, certainly for buffet style.

To conclude, and I realise I've waffled on, this is a beautiful hotel, it's 100% quality and makes for a brilliant holiday. It is placed excellently and great inside. I can think of very few points for it to improve on. If I had to say something, it would be that the cocktails in the hotel aren't great and a bit pricey for the quality they are, compared with what the beach bars make. Though that is such a tiny thing doesn't detract at all from the experience.

I will definitely come back to this hotel in the future, we had a brilliant holiday and I would (as you can probably tell) recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 538 (took me all week to remember that room number)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ELBAESTEPONA, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Client,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa.

Having read your comment regarding your recent stay with us and while I am very glad to learn about your positive comments. Thank you very much !

At Elba Hotels we strive to provide a unique experience to each client, therefore your opinion is very important to us.

It will be a big pleasure for all of us to welcome you once again, please do not hesitate to contact me on the occasion of any future visit.

With kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

. . . . the noise of breaking waves aside. If your idea of a great holiday is to join a gang of power drinking Brits, skulling Stella around a pool in football tops then you should really stay well clear of this place. Many of the staff do not speak English and most of the people that holiday in the hotel are from Spain, or other parts of Europe where they teach their children to behave. The hotel is very isolated and spotlessly clean. The staff are first class. The pool area is great. The rooms are big and the décor is wood and stone and very modern. The food is good, but dinner is not cooked to order - it's a buffet type thing, same as pretty much every other hotel of this kind - you can get a bit of fish or meat fried up, but that's as far as the Hell's Kitchen act goes. the rest of the selection lies under hot lights becoming progressively more lukewarm. We went B&B and the breakfast was the same deal, but it's hard to go wrong with keeping bacon warm. I have no real complaints of any type about this hotel. I would recommend without hesitation. My daughter was instructed to remove a beach ball from the pool - I told her not to take it in and she did anyway when I was reading. I wished the lifeguard had punctured it, but he didn't.
Posh, quiet, understated luxury. 10 gold stars. (but if you're looking for a bit of rave action, or a late night karaoke, Fuengirola is 50 kms up the coast)

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ELBAESTEPONA, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay here at our Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa.

It is a pleasure to hear that you are fully satisfied with your stay at our facility. We always try to keep the highest standards regarding the cleanliness of our rooms. Hence we are more than pleased to hear that your expectations were surpassed.

Our staff is always keen on wanting to provide all guests with the best and most memorable vacation possible. It is due to this unique desire to satisfy that such friendliness is perceived by all. Guest satisfaction is our main goal and we are always striving to achieve it. We appreciate your words and they will be passed on once again to our whole human team at Elba Hotels.

Hoping to be able to thank you in person upon our next stay for such kind words.

My kindest regards,
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Dates of stay: 23/06/13-05/07/13

On arrival at the Gran Elba you enjoy a sense of calm in the well appointed lobby area. Check in was swift, efficient and informative.
We were allocated room 237 which overlooked the gardens and sea. The room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. The design of the rooms placed the main wardrobes in the same area as the dual wash basins which then led to the bathroom/shower/toilet. Having the wardrobes away from the main bedroom made it easier to keep the bedroom tidy and free of clothes. The only slight niggle of the room was the unavailability of a kettles and coffee/tea making facilities. Fortunately we had read this same comment on a previous review and took our own kettle.
The restaurant was very well organised with excellent choices of food both for breakfast and for evening meal. It is true that when staying in a hotel for longer than a week the menu may become repetitive and this was the case during our stay, however I must stress that the quality of food presentation and the ongoing maintenance of buffett dishes were excellent. Also the two male Restaurant Managers were very welcoming and took great pride in the smooth running of their areas.

The pool and garden areas were well maintained and very clean. The beach area although shingly is very clean and enjoyable.

For those using a hire car there is plently of parking space at the hotel and for those wishing to food shop there is an Aldi and other large supermarket just opposite the hotel.

To summerise, this hotel is run extremely efficiently which very helpful staff. We would certainly recommend you to stay here.

Tony Clarke - Newcastle, Staffordshire, England

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ELBAESTEPONA, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for this wonderful comment regarding your stay with us here at the Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa.

It is with great pleasure that I read through your thoughts and realized how much you enjoyed your holidays with us. I will personally pass them on to all staff members, as they will be delighted so receive such positive feedback.

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts regarding your stay in our Hotel.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon again here at our establishment.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel twice in three years, both times in midsummer. it was surprisingly uncrowded both times. I did breakfast every day, which was royal in the abundance and variety of the buffet. I skipped lunch but alternated for dinner between the three wonderful restaurants that are a stone's throw away. The pool is beautiful (I didn't avail myself of the spa -- the treatments are a little pricey). Every room in the hotel has a view of the Mediterranean. My room had a large balcony, which was a special luxury. The room, classified as a Junior Suite, was spacious, with especially large bathroom. The reception staff went out of its way to be helpful, and were able to answer all my many questions with ease and efficiency. I loved being at the Elba and would recommend it very highly.

Room Tip: Splurge on a suite -- it's worth it!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
ELBAESTEPONA, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay with us here at the Gran Hotel Elba EStepona. I am more than happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us once time again and that you are already thinking of a future stay with us.

Thank you for especially mentioning in reference the food, room, pool area, etc.
All our staff members are always keen on providing first class service and will be glad they have satisfied or even exceeded your expectations.

Once again I would like to thank you for your greatly appreciated comments and hope to welcome you back soon again here at the Elba Estepona.

Oxford England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My daughter had been working hard at university and with a project straight after her exams, she needed a break and so I decided to take her to the Gran Hotel Elba Estepona. We were given a warm welcome and shown to our lovely Junior Suite overlooking the sea and the garden. The room was beautiful and spacious with a jacuzzi bath and spa shower. We were on all-inclusive and made straight for the Arena Restaurant for cocktails. The pool area was peaceful and relaxing, plenty of beds around. The food in the buffet was a little.... samey. All variations on a theme but no matter, it was fresh and there was plenty of it. We stuck to the pool area in the morning and went up to a terrace behind the heated pool upstairs in the afternoons because my daughter found the unheated pool a little too chilly. There, we found a heavenly spot with hardly any people and an incredible view of the beach.

There is no entertainment at this hotel, at least at this time of year. This did not matter to us, we just wanted peace and relaxation and this is what we got. Interestingly, we found all our fellow guests to be very nice which has not always been the case at other hotels, including more expensive ones. We used the gym every day (hot - no aircon?) and the spa only once. It was very pleasant, but we just wanted to be outside.

We had a wonderful stay and we only left the hotel to walk along the beach now and again.

The person who complained that the bar staff did not speak much English..... You are in Spain!! You cannot expect everyone to speak your language! We got by very nicely and they were happy to help us with our Spanish when we asked.

Our only complaint is that my daughter got a horrible shock when she turned the jacuzzi bath on, hair and scum came flying out. Lesson learned. Always flush through a jacuzzi bath without getting in!

I would recommend this highly to people who are in need of relaxation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ELBAESTEPONA, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2013

It is a pleasure to hear that you are fully satisfied with your stay at our facility. We always believe that the welcoming of a guest is of vital importance due to wanting each and every one to be treated as a star..

We always try to keep the highest standards regarding the cleanliness of our rooms. Hence we are more than pleased to hear that your expectations were surpassed. We also have a team of gardeners and maintenence who all work extremely hard to maintain our outdoor areas and gardens in perfect conditions.

Our staff is always keen on wanting to provide all guests with the best and most memorable vacation possible. It is due to this unique desire to satisfy that such friendliness is perceived by all. Guest satisfaction is our main goal and we are always striving to achieve it. We appreciate your words and they will be passed on once again to our whole human team at Elba .

Regarding the entertainement, we start to offer every day live music a show´s 3 times a week and special animation programe for children, junior and adult from the 24th of June.

Again, thank you for sharing your impressions; it gives us the opportunity to improve and offer you better service on your next visit.

Yours sincerely
Dollar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We are just back from spending a wonderful week at this hotel. It was quite by chance that we opted to stay here - and we will definitely be going back. The service was superb, and the staff very attentive in all departments - right from the moment we arrived at reception! We had booked a Junior Suite and were given a fabulous room with the most amazing balcony on the top floor with an perfect view of the private beach, and in the distance, Gibralter & the mountains of North Africa!. As my husband is disabled, it meant we could sunbathe in the privacy of our own room without him having to negotiate sunbeds round the pool. It was wonderful to wake up every day and listen to the sea lapping on the shore.
The main restaurant is buffet-style, where the food was always well presented, and there was a grill section where you could get fresh fish and meat cooked if you wanted. Brilliant! We ate in the Andalusian restaurant twice - the first meal was excellent, but the second time, the meal was not as enjoyable. However, service was first-class.
The hotel was very quiet - although fairly busy at the weekend - and the whole atmosphere was relaxing. Lovely lobby, nice pool area (with separate children's pool area), pleasant outside eating areas - all beautifully maintained and clean.
The private beach is a huge bonus, and the walkway between the hotel and the beach was well paved so easy for my husband to walk along.
Do not be put off by the dual carriageway that runs behind the hotel - try and book a room with a sea view - worth the extra pennies!
The hotel manages to offer all sorts of different packages successfully, whilst still running a four star hotel.
The hotel is not situated in Estapona town - so you will need to get a taxi if you want to go to the Sunday market or shop in town! It is great though, as it is in a residential area, so nice and quiet, and extremely relaxing.
Came home feeling very chilled and relaxed - brilliant hotel choice!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ELBAESTEPONA, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts with us. Your comments will be passed on to the entire work force, which take great pride in their work and will gain a lot of motivation from your words.

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We went to Estepona to totally relax for the last week in May and chose the Gran Elba. The service was excellent and we couldn't have been better looked after, from the warm welcome on arrival to our departure seven glorious days later. Our suite was huge and very comfortable with a fabulous view of the sea and we happily spent our days by the very well serviced pool (a bit noisy with kids at times but we did choose to go during half-term week). We stayed on an all inclusive basis but paid a small supplement to have dinner in one of the three restaurants 5 out of 7 nights. Since it was not yet peak season, only one of the feature restaurants was open each evening - but there was always two menus on offer (personal favourite was the Asian Fusion menu). We would definitely recommend the Gran Elba.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ELBAESTEPONA, Director General at Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear guest,

It is a real pleasure for us to find such an enthusiatic comment about our hotel, thanks also for taking time for letting us know your positive impressions about our Hotel on Tripadvisor.

We are very pleased to find out that you had a wonderful time amound us and that you enjoyed every single aspect of your vacation, particulary the spacious rooms with the fabulous sea view, the pool, as well as the delicious food and all the extra little comforts.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again and remain at your entire disposal.

Kindest regards,

Been to Gran Hotel Elba Estepona & Thalasso Spa? Share your experiences!