Renovation work going on directly next to the restaurent where the breakfast buffet was offered. lots of drilling and hammerig on weekdays. - this was not indicated on the hotel web site, nor did reception provide this information on arrival - not worthy of a kempinski hotel.
hotel staff was overall friendly with few exceptions.sometimes reception staff seemed a bit inexperienced and/or new to the hotel, the information provided was not always correct.
the room was reasonably sized. the (in Spain and Portugal common) hard mattress was heavily worn out and saggy - definitely not 5 stars. decorative cushions with an unpleasant rancid smell. carpet with some stains. sleeper sofa cover very dirty. signs of moisture in the wall close to balcony. bathroom spacious. In average only 2-3 out of 4 towels were really clean, some towels were frayed. a bit of mold in the shower stall.
the breakfast buffet offered a lot of choice and seemed excellent on first view. the quality of the products was however varying from very good to just average or even less. bread and pastries were not always fresh. in fine weather, part of the buffet, including ham and saussages (not on a cooling plate!), was in bathed in plain sunshine. very often, coffee served at the table was not really hot. staff was polite though, so it was no problem to get some hot coffee, but one had to ask.
roomservice: the service itself was swift and reliable. food of varying quality. it happened that the dish served did not fully match the description in the room service menu. and lukewarm coffee ...
beautiful garden with several pools. service around the pool however partly poor to nonexistent. on a beautiful, sunny day i heard and saw an elderly gentlemen complaining about a long unsuccesful wait at the pool area bar and that he and his wife (both apparently well in the seventies and using a walking stick) had to come all way back and struggle up the stairs to the lobby bar for a drink. there was no apology or expression of regret from hotel staff.
hotel "drugstore": opening hours were posted on the door. the information that the store was closed during weekends was not provided though. annoyingly, even on weekdays the store was sometimes closed during opening hours. reception commented that the lady would be in the storage area or having lunch. again not the slightest "sorry for the inconvenience".
internet was 7 €/hour (ridiculous) and 35 €/week. many hotels still charge for internet access - but one could expect that a kempinski hotel could read the signs and provide free internet access (or just include it in the roomrate).
hard to imagine that this hotel could stay in the market as a "kempinski" without any profound renovation and re-structuring of services.
all in all a very disappointing experience. would i come back - definitely not.
- Also Known As:
- Kempinski Resort Bahia Estepona
- Kempinski Hotel Bahia Estepona, Spain - Costa Del Sol
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just a short drive from Marbella, the Kempinski Hotel Bahía is a lavish, five-star property sitting within breathtaking subtropical gardens, and affords extraordinary views of the Mediterranean Sea, Gibraltar and African Coastline. The Kempinski Hotel Bahía has created a fresh and elegant look to its 132 Deluxe Rooms and 15 luxurious suites. It boasts a host of fabulous restaurants and bars (seasonal), the Kempinski Spa, and excellent children’s facilities, amongst other things. Situated near most Andalusian cities and a mere 45 min. drive to Malaga International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Travelocity, Tingo and Venere so you can book your Kempinski Hotel Bahia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.