“Worst hotel I've ever stayed and even worst customer service!” 1 of 5 stars

Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Rubio y Diaz 1, 11004 Cadiz, Spain   |
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Cadiz
Dublin, Ireland
“Worst hotel I've ever stayed and even worst customer service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2014

After a nightmare trying to park our car, we got to a what was meant to be a 4* hotel. Checked in and went to our room. Opened the door and I almost fainted! Room was so dark, colors are so depressing, bed covers are as depressing as the walls, dust everywhere, views to a patio full of rubbish, and... after specifically requesting a double room in our booking, we found 2 single beds in the room. Straight away I went downstairs to talk to the lady in reception who just said if I wanted a double bed, I had to pay extra as they were in superior rooms... Excuse me!?? First of all, when I made the reservation it stated twin/double room which i wrote a note on the reservation requesting a double bed (not a queen or a king... a double bed, something normal to ask for!). According to her, they did not see my request. Well, I did request it and it was written and if you checked you could see it, and if you have a free room with a double bed, you give it to your customer at no cost, as I do not think it is an outrageous request. But if I wanted something that simple, I had to pay extra for it? Well, swap the bed in your superior room for the two single beds you put in my requested double room! I did not want a superior room, I just wanted a double bed so if I am gonna cause and extra cost to the hotel, just bring down the double bed.
I waited till the next morning to talk to the manager as he was not on duty when we checked in, and surprise! He wasn't any better or nicer than the lady I spoke to the day before. Then he comes up with the statement that they just have 4 or 5 standard rooms with a double bed all others are twins, and it is not guaranteed on my reservation I get a double bed... But they did have superior rooms with double beds at extra cost obviously! In what hotel they have plenty standard rooms and just 5 double?? They didn't even make the effort to put 2 single beds together!
I have traveled the world, I stayed in luxury hotels and cheap hotels, I have seen it all, but I have never seen anything like this.
I am impressed after reading some other customer's reviews, the manager replies bad reviews calling the customers liars and looking for excuses to take responsibility of their poor quality of service. That says it all about the place and their workers.
I would not recommend this place to anybody. I would never go back to this hotel because my experience was so disappointing thank you to the manager and their service.
I am ready and expecting a rude reply of Alvaro, the manager, as it seems that is all he knows how to do properly.

Room Tip: It seems to get an ok room you have to pay for a superior room. Standard rooms are not worth your wh...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

We kindly thank you for taking your time in share your opinion in this site.
As I had the opportunity in answer your partner in his review last October 14, the 5th (“saving grace”) after the same stay, we sincerely apologize for not getting a perfect stay because it is our main goal.
You do not believe that our Hotel has a total of 91 rooms, 7 junior suites, 78 family and double rooms (2 beds in each room), and just 6 double bedroom with 1 king size bed.
We always try our best and we move you from the moment we had the opportunity, the day after your arrival. Nothing was marked in your booking.

We obviously, always respect all the customer´s reviews but after your comment, I think I have to explain my answers. I always thank you all the point of view and we take note of points we have to improve but sometimes, as a free site to write any good or bad experience, there are people who use this kind of reviews as revenge against the Hotel and I have, as a responsible, to explain the reasons or motives.
This is not your case. You asked for a double bedroom and we do not have it until the day before.

We regret not covering your expectations.

Gerente

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2014

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Although some of the staff members were nice enough (and none of this was their fault) this hotel is awful. You would be better off staying in a back packers hostel. The rooms are dark and dusty and while you save on the cost of the room this hotel stings you big time at every opportunity. Senator hotel regards its customers with contempt. Never again.

Room Tip: go somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Guests,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all what it could have been.

We are sorry for your disagreement regarding your point of view of hotel. We are trying to give the best quality and service at our customer. The kind of room – furniture, decoration, painting – is the same in the whole hotel. We try to offer a traditional accommodation with 4-star level. Perhaps you were looking for other kind of accommodation.

Let me know you that we respect your opinion but I don’t accept your comment “regards its customer with contempt”. I must tell you that the customers are the most important for us.
Anyway we appreciate your opinion because it´s good for keep on working to get the maximum satisfaction of our guests.

We regret not covering your expectations and we will be delighted if you offer us the opportunity to return to have you back in any of our establishments.

Bow, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

Large rooms. Clean room and bathroom. Nice courtyard. Friendly front desk staff. Only one very SLOW elevator for the whole building. WIFI did not work properly and I gave up on it. Only stayed one night on my way from Seville to Tangier, did not have time for breakfast, but they prepared overnight a bag to go.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Please Know that it is our aim that you spend the best days of your holidays with us and this is what we are working for and trying to improve every day.

We are nice to hear you your opinion about the size room and our cleaning, our courtyard and front desk staff. You must know that every member of them thinks that our main aim is that you feel comfortable during your stay in our hotel and city.

Regarding your comment on the Wifi, let me tell you that we have two options, the Premium (paid) and the normal. It would be appreciated if you told us your problems for trying give you a solution. About the elevator, we are sorry that you think it´s too slow.
We remain at your disposal and we hope to visit again,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2014

The hotel experience begins with the nightmare of the parking. The entrance is really not comfortable and your car is at risk.
The reception staff is friendly.
The rooms have big queen beds which are too big for the room. There is no mini bar service.
The wifi for free is to slow.
The elevator does not work.
The SPA was closed for works but nobody informed us.

If you do want a good hotel do not choose the Senator (with phantom spa).

It is not worth the price.

Stayed November 2014
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2014
Dear Customer,
First of all, thank you for your opinion because that is one of the best way to get our main goal, the satisfaction of our guests.

We are very sorry for your disagreement regarding your point of view of hotel. We are trying to give the best quality and service to all our Guests.

Let me answer you and let the readers know our point of view of your review.
Parking – The entrance is located in a narrow street in the heart of Cadiz and a little bit complicated for big cars. It is informed in the sites and travel agencies, as a description of the Hotel.
Reception Staff – thank you for your comments and I let them know because it is one of our strong points.
Big beds – We try to give our best services and facilities, and it is appreciated for the guests. We respect your opinion, but we don´t understand it because you should had a family room with 2 beds x 135cm each – bigger than the double room –
No mini bar in the room – We offer a fridge with 2 bottles of mineral water FREE as a courtesy. For other products, we have at your disposal 2 snacks and drinks machine in reception. After that, we offer a “menu” and we can bring to your room as a room service. (24 hours!)
Wifi – We offer a FREE basic service and the Premium service as an extra. Perhaps the occupation that we had in the days of your accommodation caused that the connectivity was slower.
Elevator – sorry about the conveniences, but maybe a technical problem but, no more than 20-30 minutes because we have a 24h service. We could not avoid it.
SPA – last beginning of October, we had to decide to close the SPA for some improve and necessary jobs of maintenance. We contact EVERY people that had a booking with us., and WE INFORM all the travel agencies and websites of the close dates for the SPA. We had no complaint about us, because people knew the close dates of the SPA when they make its booking. You booked a double room through Bookin.com, and it is marked on the main info of the Hotel!!

We are sorry for all inconveniences that we may have caused and we regret not covering your expectations but we can assure that a group of professionals works every day for getting scores higher than yours and I think they deserved it.

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2014

We had a terrible experience at this hotel from the moment we stepped in. We were a group of 4 friends each wanting our own privacy, and so we ordered 4 single rooms online. When we arrived, we paid and went to our rooms - each room had two queen sized beds, so after seeing the rooms - we realized how wasteful it was to each have a room with two huge beds and asked if we could return two rooms as having so many beds was illogical. They would not allow us to return the rooms, repeatedly telling us that these rooms were "upgrades" and now we all had better beds. We didn't understand this logic because one person does not need two massive queen beds and that this doesn't result in greater comfort.

they were extremely rude and entirely not interested in ensuring we had a good experience.

in addition to this, they charge 18 euros a day for parking - and even though we arrived at 11pm the night before and checked out at noon the next day, they would not allow us to keep our car int he parking until 6pm, saying we needed to pay an additional 18 euros for those hours. this makes no sense, if we pay 18 euros a day for parking, the expectation is that we should be able to park our car there for 24 hours. not the case.

the parking experience itself was atrocious, you are expected to pull your car into a very poorly placed and cramped car elevator, where there's a high chance of scratching your car.

lastly, we wanted to buy bottles of water before departing. there was a vending machine in the basement which sold bottles of water for 1 euro each. we bought two, but then the vending machine was out of water. so we went to reception and asked if we could buy water there, and they wanted to charge us each 2 euros a bottle because they had to give us "service".

overall, this was the worst hotel experience we have ever had. everything about this place is wrong. do not stay here unless you want to feel very angry and ripped off. for 100 euro rooms, one would expect at least a semi pleasant experience.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2014
Dear Guest,

We were waiting your review, as you told us before you leave our Hotel.
It is a big pity that our daily work goes down by opinions as yours, because we could not give you all you.

We are sorry for your disagreement regarding your point of view of hotel; we are trying to give the best quality and service to all our Guests.
Regarding your reservation we tried our best and as you booked 4 single rooms, we let you know that our Hotel has not “Single Rooms”, and we always provide, at least, double room for Single Use – same rate –
So, we offer you four quiet and big rooms, with two big beds, trying to stay at the same floor and together, as it was. It is not true that you asked for thre change after see the rooms. The change was asked for you, one hour and a half after your check-in, so 90 minutes after you use the 4 rooms, we can not refund and change into 2 double rooms. You asked for a “worst” room, but, we are terribly sorry, we have not!
It is ridiculous that you have a claim for this reason. We gave you this upgrade for courtesy of the hotel.
We have to let the readers know, that when you made the reservation you accepted the conditions and you should know it is not allowed to change or cancel it. You tried to modify because the four rooms was so big… The problem was your ask for the change, 90 minutes after you arrived
We respect your opinion about the receptionist but we think it is a consecuence of our negative response to your enquiry
In other hand, according the price of our parking place is 18€. It is cheaper thay the public one and it is show on website you booked, we informed about that. In fact, you signed an agreement with price until 12:00 o’clock day you leave. I mean, room and parking place is from 12:00 to 12:00. Actually, we let you park for free until 14:00. But you asked until 21h00 and we offered a 50% discount of our rate, irt means, 9 € supplement. Always cheaper that the public one, in order to satisfy all our Guests
I agree that parking access is very narrow, due all streets in Cadiz downtown are like these. So, the only way we can offer to park is through an elevator. It’s very spacious, even more when you drive Volkswagen polo, and even more when receptionists explain the best way to turn into it.
Regarding the bottle of water, we apologize thjat the snack-machine had not mineral water, but you should have forgotten that in reception we respect the same price, 1 euro. Even if it is a different price…
We are sorry for all inconveniences but we only hope that all the readers on this site, could see that you were very angry against the Hotel from the beginning.
It is a very damage your note for us but it is your right and your free and negative opinion.

Herts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014

I booked this hotel for a 3 day stay in Cadiz to treat my partner for her birthday. The hotel staff were hard working and professional at all times. Carlos at reception was great and guided us into the tight car lift to the car park. I had requested a quiet room and was given room 214. Never heard a sound during our stay in this room. The breakfast is great and we were spoilt for choice. The spa is wonderful, however we went in the morning when children are permitted and it was a bit noisy with families. It is child free after 1700.

Room Tip: Room 214 is at the end of a corridor on its own so you won't hear doors slamming by other guests...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2014
Dear Guests,
First of all thank you for your comments, because it is the best way to learn about the experiences of our guests during your holiday.
We are nice to hear your opinion about our staff; your words are very positive and I let them know because we are very proud of it. You have to know that every member of the staff works to get our main aim, that you feel comfortable during your stay in our hotel and city.

We stay in your entire disposal and hope that you return to visit us in other occasions,

Marbella, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2014

Cost was €230 for 2 nights for 2 people...but they couldn't find a room with a double bed tho I don't think they were full...they did try to upgrade you to a suite for an extra €39 a night, but we declined.
In typical Spanish atyle, they say they're 4 star, but the room would rate 2 in the UK, and I expected a little more for what we paid.
The car park was €18 per day as opposed to the local public one of €20 per day.. Ie a rip off.
Basically..anything extra cost extra, though you did get 24hr free internet, tho speed was poor. The hotel menu looked poor and expensive so we left it alone.
On the bright side..,the breakfast, tho a little pricey was good, with a choice of fresh fruit and produce, ham, cheese etc., and eggs, bacon etc if you wanted to order it.
The spa was excellent with a.number of pools, sprays, saunas, steam room etc and very worthwhile. You're charged for towels and flip flops tho, so take your own! Works out €9 per person, or €19 if you're just visiting.
The hotel is perfectly placed for looking around old Cadiz.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2014
Dear Guests,
I have personally, as Manager, the opportunity of discussing with your girlfriend that we always try our best to satisfy all the “request” from our Guests.
In your booking, even in your voucher, it was not specified your “special request” of a double bed and when you arrived, we do not have availability for a double bed in your room.
We have most of our rooms, twin beds and not double. That is a “request” and we will try always our best.
As we had just one Junior suite, we offered you but with a supplement of your standard booking. As you said, you decline.
The morning later, from the moment we had the double bed room, we will offered you and you moved to the new room.

Thanks for using our Spa, good combination for a perfect day, walking tour visiting the city and later relaxing in this area. We thought the price is quite economic for our customer (50% discount for the public rates).

We also welcome your positive comments on the quality of our breakfast. It makes us feel proud of the work and service done. We try to offer quality and variety for the breakfast.

We appreciate your opinion because it´s good for keep on working to get the maximum satisfaction of our guests.

Best regards

Gerente

Been to Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!