“Hostal Osio: Nice, Old Style Hostal, But Toilet-Paper Disposal Issues” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Osio

You added Hostal Osio to your Saves list
Hostal Osio
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   C/ Osio 6, 14003 Cordoba, Spain   |
Ranked #5 of 30 Cordoba B&B and Inns
Madrid, Spain
“Hostal Osio: Nice, Old Style Hostal, But Toilet-Paper Disposal Issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Hostal Osio:
My friend and I spent two nights at the very cute, old-style Hostal Osio last week. We had two double rooms, but were charged the single-room rate (30 Euros each - Low Season until mid-March) since we were the only occupants in each. We were given the only two ground-level rooms facing the street, Calle Osio. The Hostal has two open-air patios, but only one is large enough for the 4 tables with chairs, bench, and lots of plants. Just off the patio is a vending-machine room which sells soft drinks, beer & wine as well as a small desk with a computer-internet terminal. Aside from the tables and chairs, there's also one sofa, chess board and books to read. When leaving the hostal, be it for a short walk or for the day, guests must leave room keys at reception in the tray or on the desk - which isn't always attended. Upon returning, all guests must ring the bell for one of the attendants to open the door and give you your room key. This seemed a bit uncomfortable, particularly if you return late at night, not wanting to bother other guests, but I suppose it's also a way for the hostal to keep track of who comes and goes. There are two large recycling bins located in the street, just outside the street-facing rooms - like ours. At 3:30am one night and 11:30pm the next night a worker wheeled the big bins out and back one at a time, bumping the heavy bins along the cobblestones, waking me up very abruptly the first night, not knowing what that very loud, vibrating, machine-gun noise was outside my window. I imagine the patio-facing rooms don't hear a thing. My friend in the adjacent room facing the street didn't hear anything, but his window was a little further down. My room directly faced the recycling bins.

The Rooms:
I had room #8 and my friend had room #9, which are the three windows facing the street and immediately to the left of the Hostal Osio's entrance. The rooms themselves were very clean and spacious enough for the bed, a chair, two night stands, and a bench. The wood-beam ceilings were cathedral height and had a ceiling fan. The decorations are basic but nice. My room had a big window in the bedroom and another in the bathroom so there was plenty of natural light and fresh air. The 12-inch TVs are wall-bracket mounted and probably 10-years old and had about 20 channels, the first 4 of which were tarot-card reading programs. If you can figure out how to do it with the remote control, you can change the language of American programs/movies broadcasted to English (that's what I did). My friend couldn't get his TV to turn on part of the time. The TVs require about 3-steps to get a channel to turn on. Mine worked fine apart from having a tinny sound. Provided in-room was an electric kettle and a tea-bag, cups, a package of cookies and a package containing a muffin. This was a nice detail for the room when you want a light breakfast or just something to snack on at night. Rooms are cleaned and beds are made daily, but hanging bathroom towels aren't replaced with fresh ones - which is okay by me. Both our rooms had closets with some shelves and hangers.

Bathroom:
All rooms have a private, complete and clean bathroom. They provide a single packet of shower jel and a pump, hand-soap dispenser on the sink and two plastic cups for drinking water. The water was fresh and tasted good. The bathtub shower was big and had a hand-held shower head. The water pressure was strong and water was (very) hot both at night and in the morning. My friend's room, #9, had a 3-step UP to the big, windowless bathroom. IMPORTANT NOTE: We both only had one bathroom "issue", but it's an important one and would probably have been a deal-breaker had I known before making the reservation. Because it's located in "La Judería", the old Jewish Quarter, they have plumbing issues. It's the same in Granada's Albaicín (old Jewish quarter), in fact. So what's the "issue", you ask? There's a small placard next to the toilet stating, in 3-languages, that all toilet tissue must be disposed of in the foot-lever-lidded trash receptacle instead of being thrown in the toilet itself. Well, I don't know about you, but this is rather... umm.... unpleasant to say the least, PARTICULARLY if you're sharing the room. Depending on one's "constitution", of course, that trash receptacle holding said toilet tissues can smell a bit funky by morning. Trash is emptied daily with the room cleaning. I'm very surprised I hadn't found this detail mentioned in any of the other Hostal Osio reviews so maybe it was only our two rooms???

Comfort:
The mattress was comfortable, but the two pillows were a bit flat so I doubled them up for more comfort. Floor rugs were on both sides of the bed. I was a bit concerned about the temperature of the room as "hostales" tend to be a bit chilly and they sometimes turn off the heat at night. But not at this place! Our rooms had modern radiators which stayed on 24-hours a day. Upon entering the room it was toasty warm and the beds had 2 thick blankets plus the bedspread. I was plenty warm at night in bed and it was chilly outside the days we were there. I noticed my room had air conditioning, too.

Location:
Hostal Osio is very well-located on a mainly pedestrian, cobblestone Calle Osio, 6, just about one block east of the Córdoba Mosque-Cathedral in what's known as "La Judería", the old Jewish Quarter, really the main part of Córdoba's Old Town. Calle Osio itself is narrow but not a through-street so only local traffic drives along its 130 meters length. I think I heard 2 cars pass through very, very slowly during my mornings/evenings there. There are no other stores or commercial entities along it until you hit Calle Alfayatas going south towards the river, where there's an old-fashion convenience store, attended by a middle-aged Spanish man. There, they sell all the basic foods, snacks, and drinks as well as some dry-goods. They are open until at least 10pm. Continuing another 60 meters south on Calle Alfayatas you hit the main northeast-southwest one-lane street Calle Cardenal González passing through "La Judería" and paralleling the river ("Rio Guadalquivir"), where there are dozens of shops, bars, restaurants, and other hostales/hotels as well as a lot more foot traffic and very light car traffic. All these streets, including Calle Osio and Calle Alfayatas, are very well-lighted and at no time did I feel unsafe or uneasy, even walking back alone at night.

Internet:
Wi-Fi Internet is free to guests, but can only be accessed, as explained by the hostess/receptionist, in the reception area and in the rooms surrounding the main (nice) patio because the walls are so thick. Not sure why an additional router couldn't have been installed for the rooms surrounding the smaller patio, like mine. But even while sitting in the larger patio, I couldn't constantly connect. There were several interruptions. This was a minor issue.

Summing Up:
Hostal Osio is a comfortable, old-style hostal just barely off-the-beaten-track in Córdoba's "La Judería", and a good value in the off-season. High season prices reach 60 Euros. For 60 Euros, I'd expect just a bit more like better TVs and better internet connection, but at 30 Euros in the off-season, I can't complain. The toilet-tissue disposal "issue" would have been a deal-breaker had I known before making the reservation. If traveling alone, I think some people could put up with it.

Room Tip: Best to request a patio-facing room and not a street-facing room in order to avoid the late-night no...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Graz, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Lovely hostal with a pretty courtyard. The staff was friendly, the room was clean and nicely decorated. I paid 45 €/night, which was a fair price. We booked the room without breakfast but we got a water heater with instant coffee, some orange juice and cookies. They weren’t that good but I liked the thought of it (and we had a hard time getting a decent breakfast in Spain anyway).

The location is great for walking (very close to the Mezquita), but horrible for taxis. On arrival, we had to go up the street, which wasn’t that big a problem (although the pavement can’t be good for trolleys), but on departure we had trouble getting a taxi. The man at the reception called us a taxi and told us to wait at the square up the street, but apparently we didn’t get to the right square because no taxi was coming and we had to continue searching for about 20 minutes to finally get one. Also: book taxis the night before, I’ve never had that much trouble calling a taxi than in Córdoba.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Centrally located hostel with very nice rooms and wonderful courtyard. You feel like in the middle of garden and it is very refreshing in a hot day, only 2 min from cathedral. Rooms are nice decorated and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Punkaharju, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

My daughter and I stayed in Hostal Osio for two nights.
Location of the hostel was very good, in the heart of the historic center of Cordoba, yet quiet. Staff was friendly, the patio beautiful and the room spacious. We had reserved a double-room, but we were asked to change to a bigger (!!) room with the same price.
I think this hostel was really worth of its price!

Room Tip: Our room was one step away from the patio - lovely!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
South East England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We nearly gave up on this. The signage in Cordoba is so poor and the roads so narrow that searching for a hotel by car is nearly impossible. However when we evetually found it we came upon a delightful small hostel with two beautiful courtyards and a clean and spacious room.

Room Tip: Do not attempt to park in the city at all. Park acrooss the river and walk across the roman bridge t...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

A very nice place to stay with very friendly hostesses. We and our 3 kids felt save and at ease there. Too bad they don't offer breakfast...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Stayed at this hostal for one night in Cordoba with two other friends. It was a last-minute booking and we were so lucky to grab a room during the busiest time of the year in Spain, Holy Week.

Everyone who works there were very friendly, professional, and helpful with your questions about Cordoba. Our room was on the first level and it overlooked the lovely courtyard; it was very spacious, had three twin beds, a private & spacious bathroom (we soooo appreciated the nice shower stall after our other stays w/ rooms with broken shower heads) and 'extra' touches in the room & the hostal that shows the owners care for their guests. The room included free wifi and the location is a few minutes walk to Cordoba's main attraction, the Mezquita.

I would definitely recommend this hostal during your trip in Spain; for us, it was one of the loveliest & most memorable hostals we have stayed during our 10 day trip in Spain.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hostal Osio? Share your experiences!