“our favourite of the three Hospes” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hospes Palacio del Bailio

You added Hospes Palacio del Bailio to your Saves list
Hospes Palacio del Bailio
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ramirez de las Casas Deza 10 - 12, 14001 Cordoba, Spain   |
Ranked #5 of 70 Hotels in Cordoba
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Geneva, Switzerland
“our favourite of the three Hospes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We thouroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel (despite the terrible weather). When we arrived they took our car and luggage and showed us up to a lovely room, very nicely furnished. The staff couldn't be more helpful with what to visit, how to get there, how to plan your day and restaurants to eat in. We also had dinner at the hotel one evening which was excellent and a delightful restaurant. The breakfast was very good with lots of choice and again excellent staff. We also tried the roman bath which was fun

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HospesHotels, General Manager at Hospes Palacio del Bailio, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear guest,

We are delighted to read that you appreciated so much your stay at the Palacio del Bailio and specially the restaurant service. We shall pass on your compliments to the chef and his team! Our Senzone Restaurant offers a varied culinary specialties based on the most natural, genuine and healthful products of Córdoba and its surrounding province, prepared by with modern culinary techniques.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in Hospes, for an other gastronomic experience...

Kind regards.

V. Timsonet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Korean first
Rota, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed here for a long weekend in October with a friend. The hotel is situated at the end of the road and is behind broad stable doors. The lobby is beautiful and surrounds an atrium that is used for meals and for events. The rooms are above surrounding the atrium. My room looked over the garden courtyard, which was breathtaking at night. I only ate breakfast at the hotel so I can't vouch for dinner, but the food was perfect for starting the day off right. The room was very chique and very clean. Concerning the staff, I have no complaints. Joey if I recall correctly, helped me book my reservation in my terrible Spanish and his professional English. The other receptionists and concierges were equally pleasant. If I return to Cordoba, I will absolutely stay at the Hospes once again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a courtyard view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
HospesHotels, Front Office Manager at Hospes Palacio del Bailio, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about your experience at the Hospes Palacio del Bailio, we are delighted to read that you appreciated your stay and the service!

We always try our best to make sure our guests have the best expericence while staying with us.

We hope to have the pleasure of seing you again soon.

Kindest regards,

S. Estepa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

The Hospes in Cordoba is beautiful, it is also right in the heart of Cordoba. It is a beautiful old building looking over a magnificent courtyard full of orange trees. Although beautiful and placed in the heart of Cordoba it has some down sides as I, traveling with my wife, and my two girls hate noise, especially car noise, the rooms overlook the street where there is a metal bar that makes noise every time a car passes by. As long as you like noise I totally recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HospesHotels, General Manager at Hospes Palacio del Bailio, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback.
Our 53 rooms are located in different areas of the old Palace and each one is unique, this is why our reservation department try to take into account the requirements and preferences of our customers, as long as we are informed.

Once again thank you for your valued comment and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in a Hospes Hotel.

Kind regards,

Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Excellent staff and accomodation, in the heart of Cordoba. Would recommend and stay again for sure. The only thing to watch is the prices... they were charging 105 euros/person for the dinner menu - you can find much better options around in town.

Room Tip: Don't expect much from the Spa (no sauna). We booked through the hotel website and it was cheape...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm Springs, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I rarely write reviews for TripAdvisor, and when I do it's for an extraordinarily good or unusually catastrophic experience. Our 4 day stay at the Hospes Palacio De Bailio in Cordoba, Spain fell into the latter category. I am also motivated by the large number of favorable reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor, which suggests to me that the drinking water in Cordoba, or the local Montilla wine, must be laced with hallucinogens.

In 57years of travel on 5 continents, I must, sadly, report that my stay at this hotel ranked amongst the worst experiences in those 6 decades of travel. The City of Cordoba is certainly worth a visit of several days, but travelers making plans will be well warned to choose a hotel other than this one.

An initial and critical defect (and one about which the hotel lies in its web site and in person) is that the hotel is "conveniently located." This is a monstrous falsehood. Staff claim that it's in "the center of the Historic District" (wrong) and that proof of this (they write on TripAdvisor) is the presence of Roman ruins on the property (a non-sequitur at best; Roman Corduba was a sprawling city of 50,000, and this location wasn't even in the middle 2,000 years ago).

Staff claim repeatedly that it's between a 5 to 15 minute walk to the center. When we mentioned this claim to the management of a prominent restaurant in the center near the Mesquita, they rolled their eyes, and one said: "it's at best a 25 to 35 minute walk IF you know the way, which no one new to the area ever does because of the narrow, winding, twisting, dead-end streets. In truth, it's a 15 to 20 minute taxi ride." at 5-7 euros each way.

In short, this is the most inconveniently located hotel in town, and as the restaurant manager pointed out, there are dozens of hotels located adjacent to the historic center that don't present the navigational challenges this one does (if you do walk to the center, be warned it's uphill all the way back; seniors and disabled, beware).

As for the hotel itself, while others have found it "modern" and "charming," I personally was jarred and appalled by the incongruous juxtaposition of Roman ruins alongside 16th century rooms decorated in what I would term Palm Springs Mid-Century Moderne. Pick a style people; oh, just pick a millennium!

Our room was no. 14 which others have written about here. It was a catastrophe. Small, cramped, weirdly decorated, plus I can confirm that the ground floor rooms looking onto a courtyard lack any semblance of privacy with the window open. I can also confirm that the already miniscule bathroom is further complicated and made smaller by a see-through glass divider between the toilet/bidet and the rest of the space. What's up with this silliness? The glass is transparent, so there's no privacy aspect, and the net effect is to shove a glass door up against the entry door to the bathroom, making for increased discomfort and additive claustrophobia in an already unbearably small space.

Others have noted here that the beds are uncomfortable and broken down. All I can add is that 2 twin beds shoved together do not compose a king bed, particularly given the 3 inch drop between the 2 top mattresses (which kept us both literally "on edge" all night). Might not have been so bad if the mattresses had been from a similar era; but one was modern and the other appeared to have been retrieved from Roman excavations in the basement. Are people paying upwards of 200 euros a night supposed to overlook these quirks and oddities? I take it the Hospes chain thinks so.

Then there was the adventure of the room key. The key was broken/dysfunctional from Day One. We would spend 15-30 minutes for every entry-exit of the room, despite having asked hotel management the first day to fix the lock. Even staff had to arm- wrestle the key to open the room. Yet nothing was done to fix the broken lock until we confronted management on the penultimate day of our stay with this and a variety of other complaints. Their answer was to move us to another room, and we suspect the lock remains broken (so beware future occupants of Room 14; as with their responses to complaints on TripaAdvisor, the attitude of staff is one of denial and confrontation rather than helpfulness to fix and make things work).

Much is written here about the breakfast buffet. Having traveled and partaken of similar meals in Europe for decades, I can truly testify that this buffet is sub-standard at best and, for 24 euros, hideously over-priced (28 if you want an egg cooked). Novice American travelers alert: this is the typical European breakfast fare featuring salty preserved meats and chorizos, endless sliced cheeses, and pitchers of room temperature milk).

The hotel brags about giving tours of the hotel upon your arrival. We had nothing of the sort. Arriving at check-in time, we were abruptly told to cool our heels as the room was not yet prepared (a common theme, I note, throughout TripAdvisor comments, denoting the fact, we learned later, that the hotel is dreadfully understaffed). Without guidance we made our way into the courtyard by the pool, and after much delay, a server took pity on us and brought food. No one ever came to find us (as staff had promised) when the room was finally ready, so we made our way back to the front desk, only to begin 4 days of a wrestling contest with the broken room lock. We are still waiting for the guided tour promised every visitor......

We did not try the spa treatments. The prices would be considered atrociously high even by New York standards (a 20 minute massage here for a cost that would get you an hour in New York).

We can indeed confirm that the hotel does use paper napkins in the restaurant. Besides the obvious observation that you would never find this phenomenon at real five star hotels such as the Palace or the Ritz in Madrid, we concluded that this hotel must be in some financial straits, given this indicator and the short-staffing.

Fortunately, we did not drive to this hotel as its location is obscure in a residential district far from the main sights of Cordoba. The staff spend a lot of time on the phone, we noticed, talking drivers into the location. Even taxi drivers seem to grapple with finding it. One wrong turn and you're up for another couple of euros to the taxi man.

Then there is the anomalous matter of whether there is or is not a concierge at this purported 5 star hotel. There is a concierge desk but the light is always off, and no one ever sits at the desk. As for restaurant recommendations, the first one came from the front desk registration who urged us to eat at the hotel restaurant the first night as there was a special flamenco show at dinner. Having seen the TripAdvisor photos of this event, I challenged her immediately, asking if this wasn't merely a guitar player and a single singer. She admitted as such, so we declined the offer (especially at 43 euros a pop, roughly twice the price of dinner at the top restaurants in the city).

Also disturbing was the concerted effort by the entire staff to divert us from dining at La Caballo Rojo Restaurant, by all accounts in all guidebooks one of the best restaurants in the region. When I asked the hotel to book dinner there the first night, the ubiquitous Joey confronted me, saying: "Did you get that out of a tour book?" I admitted it and suggested that I am a tourist looking for advice. He said the restaurant was "touristy" and that we should avoid it at all costs. We got the same weird story from 2 other staff members. With our curiosity piqued, we visited the restaurant which fronts the Mesquita and had one of the best meals we've ever had in Spain, enjoying especially their traditional Andalucian specialties. After dinner we reported to restaurant management that the management and staff at the Bailio appeared to be actively disparaging the restaurant. The restaurant manager laughed and noted that the Bailio had been there 7 years while the Caballo Rojo was celebrating its 50th anniversary.

Finally I must relate one of the most bizarre episodes I have ever experienced
In my life at a hotel or elsewhere. The day before we left, at 9 am, I asked the front desk to book a private tour to the Medina al-Zahra 7 miles out from the city (Moorish ruins which are one of the 3 most important sites of Cordoba). As such, one would expect that the concierge and staff of the hotel would be knowledgeable of the rudimentary facts of the site. We arrived at the reception desk at 12:15 to confirm our 1:00 tour departure. Joey appeared to announce that the Medina was closed on Mondays and that our tour was off. I asked why they hadn't tell us that at 9 am, rather than wasting half a day in anticipation of a non-existent tour. I learned later that Joey found out about the closing only through the driver he had called to take us on tour. In short, the management of this hotel lacks basic knowledge about the major sites and tours of their own city!

To make up for this unthinkable blunder, they offered us a free car and driver for the day for any destination of our choice. We asked for suggestions and accepted a tour of olive oil tasting facilities in Priego (60 miles away) on the simple condition that wherever we went would be OPEN when we got there. The driver arrived; the hotel management gave him the destination, but ran off like scalded cats, failing to inform him of the basic purpose of the tour.

An hour later, we arrived in Priego and got dumped in the center of town and told to walk around, fend for ourselves, and figure out what to do. Shell-shocked, we asked what happened to the olive oil tasting. The driver had no clue about any of it. I called Joey at the hotel and informed him that we had been dumped in the middle of nowhere in a town that was closed up with nothing to do! He said: "It is the middle of the day, and everything is closed, you know." I reminded him that our sole requirement was that the destination, whatever it might be, should be open. He had no reply, and I told him that his actions had turned the day into a complete disaster and that we would be returning immediately to the hotel for some recompense. We drove back, but by that time, the hotel managers had scattered to the winds, and we were left to talk to the evening manager who had no clue about how our entire day had been wasted through the incompetence of hotel staff.

Moving us that night to a different room (so as to avoid having to fix the lock on Room 14, presumably) only served to confirm one of the other recurring complaints on TripAdvisor: the showers do overflow into the bathroom.

On departure, none of the senior staff of the hotel was in evidence to offer apologies or otherwise ask for feedback on our stay. As we were departing in the taxi, however, we noticed that the ubiquitous Joey had been observing us from a distance, and as soon as we recognized him, he ran quickly down the street and into his office.

Five star hotel? To put this hotel in the same category as the great hotels
of Spain is a travesty, and it calls into question the integrity of the entire rating process. This is not even a real hotel, and, as one TripAdvisor comment points out, is closer to a parador. After our experience, I would not even raise it to that level. As the name Hospes suggests, it's closer to a hostel. Travelers are advised to avoid it at all costs, and that there is an abundance of better and more convenient hotels in the real center of Cordoba. If you book it, good luck finding it and putting up with the quirks and inconvenience of the hotel, layered over by the incompetence of the staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights. Our suite was beautiful , very spacious and beautifully decorated. The only criticism might be that the room was a bit dark, but I think this had to do with the very hot summers that Spain has and the tendency to shut all the rooms down in an effort to keep cool. Unfortunately my husband was struck down by a 24 hour virus while we were there and I must say the staff were very helpful during this period, they were most concerned about his health and offered any assistance that they could. Would highly recommend staying here. We will go back if in cordoba again

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate you take the time to share you experience with other travellers, and give us the opportunity to thank you again for having chosen Hospes Palacio del Bailio during your stay in Cordoba.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again.

S. Estepa
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This was our second visit. The first visit, a year earlier, had left us with mixed feelings mainly because of our accommodation. When the Hospes offer popped we jumped at it, mainly because we wanted to try the Hospes experience. The staff were truly welcoming and very helpful. It was very hot and the thick walled buildings offered sanctuary and peace. Our room was impeccable and the restaurant (dinner and breakfast) is special and should be sampled. If we had any negative, it was about the pool set in the beautiful leafy gardens. It is quite small and was taken over by just a couple of unruly children, seemingly lacking any parental supervision.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We are delighted to read that you appreciated so much your second stay at the Palacio del Bailio and specially the restaurant service. Our Senzone Restaurant offers a varied culinary specialties based on the most natural and healthful products of Córdoba and its surrounding province, and prepared with the most modern culinary techniques.

We also take into account your comment about the pool area.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in Hospes Palacio del Bailio for an other gastronomic experience...

Kind regards,

V. Timsonet

Been to Hospes Palacio del Bailio? Share your experiences!