“tiny authentic and welcoming” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 542 Restaurants in Cordoba
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Taverns of the Old Quarter of Córdoba"Come into “Tundidores” street, to Salinas, another ancient tavern. Founded in 1924 by Francisco de Paula Salinas, was supplied by his early years with wines from their own winery. According to Ramirez de Arellano, there was already another tavern since 1879. So, it is more than centenarian.
Bath, United Kingdom
“tiny authentic and welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

fantastic spanish atmosphere full of interesting and inebriated locals who made my wife and I very welcome, visired every night on our way back to the hotel and never seemed to close!! Perfect

Visited September 2012

• Polish first
Cordoba, Spain
“Lived up to expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I'd heard of Taberna Salinas from local people so I finally decided to give it a try. I must say, given its "name" and the fact it's been an established restaurant for around a century, we just decided to take a discreet peek, until - that is - we looked at the prices and found that all mains (served as raciones) were priced under €7.

As this is unheard of in Spain, we decided to give it a go.

First off, the service. Even though it was a busy Saturday night and staff were probably tired, from the moment we got in, both the owner and waiters were exceptionally welcoming and polite, something not to be taken for granted, especially in Spain.

I also liked the way the waiters helped us with the menu and recommended dishes. It was informative and helpful, but without being annoyingly pushy.

For instance, I was about to order a tomato salad and was advised that for the same price, I could enjoy an "ensalada cordobés" which consists not only of tomatoes, but also egg, tuna, onion and other vegetables.

In the end, we ordered three most filling raciones, which came with a generous helping of bread. My choice was a plate of melon and ham, juicy and good quality and - as well as the above mentioned salad - my partner ordered a kind of stew of asparagus and egg. An excellent white wine was our drink and, it must be added, throughout the meal, the waiters were regularly and discreetly checking if all was fine.

As for the atmosphere, the restaurant looks traditional and cosy with tiles, a fountain, beams and several features all adding to the ambiance.

The only glitch came with the bill. In fact, not with the bill, which was as reasonable as expected, but with the change. Let's just say that we handed the staff €100 for a €30 bill and when the change was delivered, we were €50 (not spare change) short.

Ok, the mistake was promptly rectified, thankfully, but it was a bum note to an otherwise perfect evening. This is why five stars wouldn't be appropriate. However, I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
St Maarten-St Martin
“El Dueno....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Ok everybody will tell you that it is the best restaurant, it is true. Discover by yourself but one advise when you will be there ask after El Dueno or Pedro or Manolo and let them choose for you.
Irecomand you the cod fish ceviche with fresh orange or the egg plant with a sugar cane honey.
Concerning the wine choose a fino. And at the end of the dinner ask "who is Pedro Ximenez"
When you will finish your dinner make a stop for an after dinner drink at the Bar, it is in the same place, with huge barrel of wine ...........It is THE Taberna

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Milan, Italy
“V. Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Nice restaurant, quite big but still very comfortable, good location. We ate a delicius dinner, both meat and fish at a very good level. Very high quality for the price paied.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Best food I had in Cordoba.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We went here both nights in Cordoba. Its very good, looks the part, lots of locals eating here, couples and families, and really good value. I couldn't believe the bill was so reasonable, even with a decent tip. There were 9 of us, my daughters and friends and I, we were very well looked after, the waiter spoke some english and that helped as he made recommendations off the menu. We had 14 generous tapas dishes, the headlined Cod and Orange dish is worth its recommendation, as it the Oxtail and the Salmorejo. The Los Omeyas red is good and very drinkable at €12 a bottle. At the end we were given complimentary desert wine, which I liked, local produce, thick and viscous with raisins, figs, liquorish notes. Bought a bottle for €12. My group liked the meal so much we went back the next night. They are not too hot on deserts, but the the tapas is excellent, and the restaurant has a nice authentic feel. It well deserves its high Trip Advisor rating.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere