“Camino de Santiago” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #414 of 5,092 Activities in Spain
Type: Trails, Sports
Activities: Hiking, Walking, Biking
More attraction details
Owner description: A network of paths leading to a church holding the remains of St. James (Santo Iago), the patron saint of Spain.
Melbourne, Australia
“Camino de Santiago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Hi, I have ridden and walked the camino and can honestly say it was the hardest but one of the most rewarding adventures in my life. Don't go with a touring company, just get to the start and walk. Gather together what you think is the barest of essentials and then throw half out. Make time your only luxury. Let life slow to your pace. Visit every church and say a prayer even if you don't believe anymore. Ignore all that I say and do it how it suits you but do it before you are too old.

Visited May 2012

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
“Camino again soon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Congratulation to CaminoWays.com for an unforgettable journey along the whole Camino French Way, from St Jean to Santiago, as my wife and I walked the full 35days! The luggage transfers organised was priceless.

We flew to Biarritz from London, to take the shuttle bus to Bayonne (20min) and train to St Jean (1:30) to arrive for dinner in hotel Ramuntcho. Nice hotel in the historic centre with trad food and comfortable rooms.

The next day we started the walk crossing the stunning Pyrenees until we arrive in Pamplona few days later. Here we stayed in hotel Europa, in the historic centre again.

From Pamplona we continue the Camino way, across the Rioja wine region stopping in lively Logrono (hotel FG), and having had much great wine, we reached medieval Burgos (hotel cordon).

From Burgos, you are walking on cruise control enjoying the people, the nature, the food... and even here start the flat Meseta, (that you can also do by bike).
Arriving in Leon (casa de Espiritualidad), we had our best Tapas, and reach Astorga (hotel via de la plata 4star), the gateway to Galicia.

From Here, starts the rolling hills and mountains of Galicia, and up to Santiago it is a fairy tale of Celtic poetry and villages. Ponferrada and its perfect Templar castle (hotel Bierzo).

From Sarria (Alfonso 9), the beginning of the last 100km, this is where you are going to meet most people, and the social atmosphere is great until you reach the buzzy city of Santiago, where we decided to stay 5 nights. We did not regret this choice as we enjoy all that the city of the apostle had to offer: cafes terraces, museums, churches, parks, shopping...

Thanks again to all the team that helped us put everything together a-la-carte, and in particular to Richard and Hugh.

Ryan.

beds
4 attraction reviews
“Life, Friends, and the camino.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have walked the Camino Frances twice now, and I hope to walk it once more before I'm 60, First time back in 2002 was a real eye opener, it changed the way I look at alot of things, I walked from
St Jeans in France accross the boader into spain, and all the way to Santiago de Compostella, six weeks I spent with my 15 year old son, just walking and livin real simple, in 2002 the way was not as busy as it was on our return in 2008, when I walked it with both of my sons, and my wife,
a great way to see the real Spain, and make friends for life, Not 5 star travel but well worth it.
Something you'll not forget, and will get right under your skin and leave you wanting more.

Visited September 2012
Melbourne
“Camino Portugues with Travel Enriched”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Thanks to Travel Enriched I had the holiday of a lifetime walking sections of the Portuguese Camino in May 2012. Our ‘Camino with a Difference’ tour walked sections of the traditional pilgrimage route between Porto and Santiago de Compostela, and parts of the Camino Finisterre between Finisterre and Muxia. Walking forces you to slow down and appreciate the countryside and people in a new way. We saw hills covered in carpets of yellow flowers, traditional haystacks, listened to church bells tolling, observed farmers at work, wondered at the stone farmhouses and hórreo (granaries), all the while following the yellow arrows or shell way-markers. For me it was an opportunity to indulge in new experiences, have time to think about the experience as it unfolded and about life in general. It was also great to build up physical fitness and feel a real sense of achievement that I had walked almost 200 kms! We enjoyed comfortable hotels and only carried daypacks. I can’t wait to try another similar tour.

Visited May 2012
Marathon, Florida
7 attraction reviews
“Life changing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Completed the Camino Frances! It has been something that I wanted to do or over 10 years. I took on this journey by myself and was amazed to see so many women also embarking on this trip solo. The Camino will push you, make you cry, make you laugh, and test your limits. Telling you my experience will not due it justice as we all ave our own journey to take. If you are thinking of thinking of doing it, do it. The time of when it is right will come to you. If you can take longer than a month (5-6 weeks) but no matter what you do, will do. Buen Camino!

Visited April 2012