“Nice.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Weimar
Northern Ireland
“Nice.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

This was a very nice hotel we stayed in for 2 nights during a stay in Weimar. Well positioned and appointed. The usual German cleanliness and efficiency. The car park is underground and makes this hotel a recommended option if travelling by road.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
saseiler, Manager at Dorint Am Goethepark Weimar, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear guest,
thank you for your review.
Kind regards,
Your Dorint Team Weimar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

First off, I have not stayed at other hotels in Weimar, but in comparison to other places which I stayed at in Munich, Berlin, and Hamburg, the room was very modern and spacious. The rates were excellent (speaking from the perspective of a foreign tourist - it seems like rooms go from 50-150 euros/night). I stayed on the first floor, so there was no view to speak of, but the bed and furnishings were comfortable and clean. The overall design is minimalistic, but everything seemed very new - dark wood furniture and striped patterns on the carpets and drapes. The staff was very polite and welcoming, which seems to be the - excellent and appreciated -standard in Weimar. Breakfast was very tasty and offered a pretty good selection (If it were not included in the room rate, however, it might not be worthwhile to spend the 18 euro unless you plan on loading up and skipping lunch). The lobby bar seemed to be pretty popular in the evening, so that can be pretty entertaining as well.

FYI There was some construction on the main street in the area so I had to walk around the building on the way in; a local said that this would last through the end of 2013. I did make the walk from the train station to the hotel when I first arrived, but be warned it's about 1.5-2km, which is very doable if you are carrying a backpack, but not with any luggage. The location is next to one of the two universities and just down the street from the market and the Anna Amalia Library, so a lot of the sightseeing is right at your doorstep. I can't comment on the parking or other car related services in the area since I did not drive.

Weimar is a really interesting city with far more to offer than its small size and population would suggest. Overall, the Dorint offers a high level of service for a very reasonable amount of money. Better rooms and value than the Grand Westins that I stayed in in the larger cities.

Caveats: Only German standard outlets (I have only stayed at one hotel in Germany which offered north american outlets).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
New Albany, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife, 16 year old son and I spent two nights in the Dorint am Goethepark, Weimar, in June 2013. I recommend the hotel.

The Dorint was somewhat of a departure for us – we normally prefer either small “boutique” (Relais & Chateaux) hotels, or larger luxury class (Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental) hotels. My sense was that the Dorint would fall more into a “business” class of hotel. Of course, you pay less for a hotel like the Dorint, and thus shouldn’t expect the same level of service.

We had two rooms. The wife and I shared a Suite, and our son had a Deluxe Room. Both rooms were in the older– the Goethehaus – part of the hotel (in our case, just across the hall from each other).

The suite was absolutely delightful. The arrangement is a bit odd for a suite – you enter directly into the bedroom, and then the living room is a well-windowed bright octagonal space (with double doors) beyond the bedroom. The bedroom and living room looked out onto the parklike Beethovenplatz.

There was a very commodious built in storage unit and closet in the bedroom, along with a desk and pants press. There was also a separate closet area in the entryway.

The living room had a very comfortable sofa and two easy chairs.

Lighting was terrific everywhere. The bathroom had two sinks.

Soundproofing was excellent, and our air conditioning worked splendidly.

All told, I could have happily stayed in the Suite for a week. Frankly, I think this space topped the much more expensive one bedroom suite which the wife and I later shared at the Ritz Carlton Berlin.

Our son’s Deluxe room was nicely sized, and also had plenty of storage and closet space. His room looked to the rear of the hotel with no view to speak of.

Although the Dorint is not as service-oriented a hotel as a Four Seasons, we had some nice surprises. When we arrived, no one was on duty at the front entrance (perhaps no one ever is). I parked the car close to the entrance, and went in to find out about parking and luggage. As I checked in, the hotel manager came out to introduce himself. We had a nice chat. When I asked him if there was a luggage cart handy, he proceeded to grab the cart himself, unload our car, and then personally took us up to our rooms, handling all the luggage himself. He took the car key from me, and arranged for the car to be parked. I was very much impressed – bravo.

Breakfast was as good as reported by other reviewers. I think it was my favorite across our two weeks in Germany.

The only sour note occurred at check out. Without asking, the clerk presented me with a charge slip in U.S. dollars (that means they used dynamic currency conversion without asking). That always is a terrible deal for the consumer. When I noticed this, I asked her to re-run the charge in Euros. She gladly did this, and I signed that slip.

However, when I got my credit card bill, someone in the back office at the Dorint apparently had reversed the Euro charge, and kept the Dollar charge (the difference was an extra US$30 adverse to me). Or course, I disputed the difference on the credit card bill, and won (note to others – if you are charged in dollars in Europe without being asked, dispute the difference between what a Euro charge would have been and what the dollar charge is – you will always win).

Despite that bad taste at the end, the Dorint was a good choice for us. The Suite, especially, was absolutely terrific, and a comparatively great deal. I’d come back.

Room Tip: The Suites on the first (second, from a US standpoint) have more windows than the ones on the upper...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Aidlingen, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The room at the hotel was quite large but looked out onto a section of road being used as a diversion, so a lot of traffic. The garage was a very tight fit for a Mercedes E-Class saloon and also cost 15€ per night. The location was good being only a few minutes walk from Goethe House and the town centre. We were very disappointed with the service in the restaurant during the evening having to wait for 1 hour to get our food. The manager was very apologetic. Breakfast was very good .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We booked for two nights in a Junior Suite. The first night we were given a room at the front of the hotel overlooking a beautiful park. One thing that I found frustrating was that the windows were too high for us to actually see the park, unless we stood right up to the window. Second problem was the air con did not work satisfactorily & the room was too warm. We could not open the windows as the noise from the cobblestoned road outside was deafening. Next morning we asked the receptionist if another room was available and they graciously gave us an apartment at the back of the complex which was beautifully quiet, air con worked well, and also had in-room tea & coffee making facilities. Breakfast was sensational. Location is close to town where you can walk to the many cafes & restaurants. Parking is underneath & reasonably priced. We were lucky enough to experience a recital of classical music in the lobby bar as we had a glass of champers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed here briefly and were very impressed. The room was spacious and fairly well equiped. Service was friendly and efficient. The aircon could have a little more power as it was very hot and humid and it struggled. The breakfast package included a large hot and cold buffet with a good variety. Very popular with the business crowd as well as being convenient to go out and walk around the old town center. I think that half the population must be university students with two universities. The music students practice with the windows open so you get free concerts. The front desk were quick to assist. The one complaint is that the available computer in the lobby is not configured to allow remote desktop which means that you have to pay for wifi to use your laptop to connect with the home office. The steam room and sauna have signs that they are linen free. Not sure what that meant but I wasn't about to go in the buff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Grand Rapids Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I loved staying at this hotel. The new section is so beautiful, and does not have the spartan feel of some European hotels. My view over the park was stunning, and listening to the birdsong in the morning as a wake up call was wonderful. There are two parts of the hotel that are older and belong to other buildings so you can chose whether you would like to stay in a traditional 'palace' or in new accommodations, but still have all modern amenities. There is a tower room overlooking Goethe's garden that is beautiful and special enough for a honeymoon room. I would return in a minute, and hope to.

Room Tip: As I mentioned determine whether historical ambience or a contemporary feel are more your style and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Dorint Am Goethepark Weimar? Share your experiences!