“Stunning views, retro decor, nice swimming pool” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maritim Hotel Bellevue Kiel

You added Maritim Hotel Bellevue Kiel to your Saves list
Maritim Hotel Bellevue Kiel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bismarckallee 2, 24105 Kiel, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany   |
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Kiel
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Stunning views, retro decor, nice swimming pool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

The hotel is situated on a hill with stunning views of the Kieler Foerde - think Bay of Naples under northern skies. The rooms are large, comfortable and good as new - this is remarkable because the decor dates back to the 70s when the hotel was built. So if you'd like to see (or be reminded) what glamourous bathrooms were like in that era, then this is for you.
The hotel has got a very decent indoor swimming pool.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Ostertag, Manager at Maritim Hotel Bellevue Kiel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear guest from Epsom,

Thank you for your short and so positive review on TripAdvisor!

We are very grateful for your kind comments about location, staff and the service you received.

We hope to have the pleasure of your visit in the future.

Kind regards,

Maritim Hotel Bellevue

Joachim Ostertag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

We stayed two nights to attend the wedding of a friend and were delighted with the accommodations. The rooms were spacious and the staff very friendly and helpful to us English speaking visitors. The decor is a bit tired, but inconsequential in my opinion.

• Stayed August 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for your short and so positive review on TripAdvisor!

Since your stay in 2011, we did invest the „worth of two nice villas“ in the interior, that you might find it more conseqent today.

We hope to have the pleasure of your visit in the future.

Kind regards,

Maritim Hotel Bellevue

Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

Old hotel that is obviously popular but for me is dated and needs modernisation

Room and bathroom are well worn and I would love to have it brought up to date

Eating/drinking in the hotel is expensive so head into Kiel

Breakfast is very good - look out for the naked swimmers in the sea

Overall okay but I simply prefer more up to date hotels that feel modern

• Stayed February 2011
Dear guest from Hampshire,

Thank you for your short review of our hotel. Originally the hotel did opened even in the year 1846. But we all know about Europe's history and especially the German's. After the bombs of the Second World War, the hotel re-opened partially in the 50s, but has been completely re-designed before he Olympic Games were celebrated 1972 in Munich with all the Regattas in … Kiel. So after all,, the Maritim Hotel Bellevue is a mirror of our history and what the people made out of it. Today, I am very glad, that we kept at least the interior of the 70's to save a little historical substance. Many guests love its combination with todays service as wifi etc. and I am certain, that we can make you a fan of us too. For this reason, please call me directly for your next reservation in Kiel. My direct extension is the +49 (0) 431 / 3894-710.

With best regards

Maritim Hotel Bellevue Kiel

Bedford, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

Decor is decidedly dated and the hotel is somewhat quirky but in way thats quite charming. Its difficult to put a finger on the appeal but I liked the place. The staff were friendly with the exception of one waiter who didn't have much patience with my faltering German.

If you get the chance pick the corner rooms, massive rooms with some spectacular views. Very comfortable too. Slept like a log and normally I don't sleep well away from home.

Food was tasty in the restaurant, although limited choice. Breakfast was excellent and I note that others found the same.

It seemed very quiet and I guess its not the most popular choice but got to say I liked the place and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

We had a splendid, large corner room suite with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Kieler Estuary. The view was breathtaking. Bathroom could do with updating. However, be aware that some of the rooms overlook the car park. The restaurant is excellent. We ate there on three consecutive evenings (a hotel record for us) and the food was consistently good. Most of the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Aachen, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

I stayed in the Maritim for a single night, because all other hotels in Kiel had no empty rooms anymore due to a conference in Kiel and a trade fair in Hamburg. The rates exceeded what my company normally pays, but as I said, I had no choice. Having the opportunity to stay in a 4 start hotel on company cost was something I was looking forward to. I have to say I was greatly disappointed.

The interiors of the whole hotel are 70s style and there haven't been much changes since then. This applies to the rooms, too. The walls are very thin, e.g., I could hear my neighbors switching their lights on and off. In addition to the noise I found that the mattress was of very low quality giving me backache. I had a terrible night and was not at all well rested.

While the hotel is clean, I think paying 145€ a night demands a far higher quality of service than offered. The hotel staff kind of behaved as if this were the prime hotel in Kiel, which it is not, and you were charged for every small extra.

When I left in the morning I told my cab driver about how unsatisfied I was and he told me that I was not the first person to complain.

I would not recommend staying here and I think that for its price range the hotel is terrible.

• Liked — Breakfast and leaving in the morngin
  • Disliked — Price and the quality of sleep I got
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sunnmore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Maritim Hotel Bellevue Kiel for 1 night before going home to Norway by ferry, and were truly disappointed!

When we first got to the hotel we had to fill out a paper looking more like an exam with names, birthdays, adresses, telephone numbers, passport numbers and so on. Never had to work so hard to get my room key in any other hotel.

The hotel´s interior looked worn-out, except maybe for the reception area. The corridor on our floor had red wallpaper with lobsters on it - dreadful! In our room there were so many different colors and patterns, none even close to beautiful. It looked more like some badtaste interior decorator from the 70´s had thrown up in there, and to top it all the bedding smelled old and funny... Also says a lot when you really need to go to the bathroom but you still consider waiting until your in the ferry cabin the next day!

When we needed to use a computer we were charged 5 euros/hour for using the "business center", and of course had to fill out a form nearly as bad as the one on arrival.

The swimming pool could of course be great, we didn´t even dare to find out...

I sincerely recommend not going there!

Haavard, from Norway

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Maritim Hotel Bellevue Kiel? Share your experiences!