“My kingdom for better air conditioning.” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Gerberstrasse 15, 04105 Leipzig, Saxony, Germany   |
Ranked #12 of 102 Hotels in Leipzig
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dallas, Texas
“My kingdom for better air conditioning.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here twice while visiting family in Leipzig. Positives: Very pleasant and helpful staff, comfortable and modern European furnishings, and an outstanding breakfast buffet. Negative, and it's a big one for us: in both of our rooms, the air conditioning simply wasn't able to cool the room, leading to fitful and restless sleep. Unless that is rectified, I would look elsewhere (although I would miss the breakfast).

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

In fairness, we chose this place because our preferred options were fully booked. The Westin lacks charm. The front desk staff are polite but surprisingly poorly informed about local tourist sites, transportation options, etc. Although room charges are fairly high, wi-fi is not free anywhere in the hotel. The safe in the room did not work when we checked in and the staff seemed to think that was because we did not understand how to use a hotel safe. (In fact, it had to be reprogrammed.)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Antje R, Marketing Manager at The Westin Leipzig, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear guest,

first of all we thank you for your stay with us and certainly for giving us your review. As often happens you unfortuantely experienced a combination of unfortuante circumstances and not our normal, fine service as you may can excepted.
We hope you will be accept our sincere apology and our promise to make your next stay with us enjoyable. Kind regards.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

This hotel is in a great location walking distance from the train station, the zoo and a short walk to the city center.

Pros- As a platinum member with SPG I was given a free bottle of water each day, snacks at the bar between 6 - 7 each evening. Free coffee, tea and non-alcoholic drinks at the bar. I had a room with a balcony so I had 2 views one of the city and the other view of the zoo side. I also had free internet.

Cons- I had to ask for a facecloth there was none provided in the room.

I had included in my stay. There was cheese, tomatoes, bacon, eggs(scrambled and hard boiled), bread, cold cuts, juices, cereal and cake. I found the service a bit in the breakfast area

Room tip - If you have a glass shower in your room, please be careful when getting out the floor on the shower area can get slippery.

The lobby is very big and the staff are friendly and helpful.

You have to take an elevator to the swimming pool. As a platinum member I did not have to pay to access this area. Otherwise it is 3Euros.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor facing the city.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Mornington Peninsula, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

As tourists we found this to be ideally located for our needs. The rooms are a good size, the foyer bar is comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. Walking distance to both the station and town centre with its excellent restaurants. Wifi was expensive as was parking. Public parking is readily available across the street.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Location is very central, next to railwaystation and Zoo, short walk into citycenter and to Red Bull Arena (location for futball but also several concerts). Rooms are very nice, with great view if you are located in higher levels, staff is very helpfull and helpful. Only negaive is price for internet - 5 Eur/hr! and breakfast 23 Eur! We had breakfast buffet in the city center in a cafe - for 23 Eur for both of us

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Antje R, Marketing Manager at The Westin Leipzig, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your impressions during your stay with us. Any constructive review helps us for monitoring our service standard and give us a chance for make things better. We do our utmost to be a home for people on travel on a high level and all our actions are aimed to improve our service and your valued comments are appreciated. Yours Westin Leipzig
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I've stayed here some years ago and it's a nice looking, quiet, pleasant hotel in a great location and I've always found the staff pleasant.
I arrived early expecting to drop my bag and check in later but my room was ready, which was great. Again the staff were pleasant and it was a great view from the 23rd floor. The gym was fine but to charge anything extra, even 3 euro, for the pool and sauna is frankly ridiculous. I didn't have breakfast this time because although it was lovely and a great selection, 16 euros is steep.
Unfortunately my mobile phone was not working on arrival so I needed to use the business centre for internet access. 5 euros for 15 minutes is absolutely astronomical. Add in the complimentary water in the room on arrival (but only if you're a Starwood member or other caveat), it all feels a bit penny pinching when the rooms are not exactly budget prices :-(
Leipzig itself, is just a fabulous city!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Bonn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

Average, but nothing more and I resent paying €15 per day for wifi. Breakfast was crowded and again, just average. I also noticed an additional €3 charge to use the swimming pool, which just seems strange.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Antje R, Marketing Manager at The Westin Leipzig, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for being with us and we regret that we could not meet your expectations completely. We do appreciate any constructive comment and evaluate it carefully. We certainly will consider your comments for adjusting our service offer to guest expectations. Should your travel plans bring you back to Leipzig it would be worth to have a look on it - we would be pleased you could settle for us again. Kind regards.

Been to The Westin Leipzig? Share your experiences!