“Everything you need for a stay” 4 of 5 stars

A&O Dresden Hauptbahnhof
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Strehlener Strasse 10, 01069 Dresden, Saxony, Germany   |
Ranked #21 of 58 Specialty Lodging in Dresden
Perth, Australia
“Everything you need for a stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed in December 20 and must say that it was very enjoyable, we have travelled a lot and stayed at mainly hotels but some friends booked this. It has everything you need in a 2 days (for us) the bathroom was clean, small rooms with 2 single beds, basic furniture. But everything was comfortable.

The facilities such as the sky bar and the coffee and area in the lobby was excellent and better than most weve seen.

Unless you wanted luxury i could not see why you would not book.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

It was my first experience with A&O and what can I say..The hostel was clean, the receptionists friendly, location is great, so you can reach downtown by walk..I brought my own sleeping bag, so I didn´t use their sheets (it costs extra money). I was very tired after my trip so I was glad that I have place to stay, but if you are looking for something with atmosphere you are on the wrong place..I was looking for a place where can I stay for one night.. :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Saint Petersburg, Saint Petersburg City, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I have arrived to Dresden from Berlin at approximately 9.45 PM, it was dark, I was tired and wanted to rest as quickly as possible but at the reception I had to have a discussion with a clerk who started arguing with me about the type of my card. The girl wanted to have an extra charge for payment with a credit card and didn't want to listen to ANY explanations that my card is a debit one, that I can open my bank page in my tablet where she could see that present payment done by debit card, etc, etc. All my asking to call someone in charge failed, the girl kept saying only 2 phrases:
1) My manager told me MASTERCARD is a credit card (she didn't know the difference between pay system and the card type)
2) What management do you want to see at 10 PM? Come tomorrow!

After 15 min of discussion I had the only alternative to stay overnight in the booked a month before hostel - to pay 3 euros extra for "using credit card" while my card was a debit card and it could be checked before when I booked that hostel and paid advance for reservation. Next morning was Sunday, again there were no management so that trick how to get extra money from visitors worked well!

Another thing that chocked me there was breakfast. During that unfortunate and unfriendly check-in I forgot to ask about breakfast, so next morning when I asked if I could buy it - I was refused also it was a type of "Swedish table" line and I doubt there would not be enough food for one extra person. When I asked If I could at least buy a cup of coffee since I was very thirsty...I was again REFUSED!!!!
I travel a lot, I stayed in many hostels in different countries, but I can't remember one where visitors are welcomed in a worst of this!

WiFi is free only in the lobby and on the very top of the bldg, in the restaurant that is very inconvenient for tired travelers who arrive to Dresden not to sit in the hostel lobby instead of rest in the room or checking maps and routes in the noisy restaurant or noisy lobby wasting day time instead of discovering this beautiful city

A few times during the night I had to go out to tell teenagers to to dance, yell and sing loudly in the floor corridor and even did some races between their rooms. There were many warning posters on the wall about silence hours after 11 PM but obviously nobody of the hostel stuff reminds the young people about respect to other visitors.

All that negatives completely overlap what could be consider as positive about this hostel. It was my really worst experience in Germany!

Room Tip: Use it only if other hostels are occupied! And not more than one night!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

It was my first stay in an A&O hotel & hostel so I did not quite know what is the typical standard for this brand. I stayed in a 4-bed dorm, the room is clean and comfortable as a whole, but it was a bit noisy. The bed was not cosy as well and it will be quite noisy when you climb up and down.
The breakfast was good with so many choices, but it was a pity that the breakfast room was dirty. Many flies were around the place every time I stayed there.
Staff are not very friendly but generally OK. Some of them can only speak very basic English so it was a bit hard to communicate when I have some requirements.
The location was good, in a modern area and nor far from central station. There was a supermarket beside the hotel which is very convenient.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Two of the beds in our room were joined together so you have to sleep with a complete stranger. Plus the sheets were not changed from the night before, they were still covered in hair. The bathroom was obviously not cleaned either. Poor effort.

• Stayed October 2013
Bologna, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

the room was clean and big, but also quite.
the hostel is very close to the train station.
it's good to travel with own bike, because the new centre, after the famous bridge, is at the 3mks and is very cool..old east style and artistic.
wi-fi is not free.
very big breakfast for 6euro..u can make yourself some panini for a lunch!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Cluj-Napoca, Cluj, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

There is not too much to say about this hotel. In every A&O location you get the same services, cleanliness, type of rooms etc. We have booked a family room (with bunk bed) with breakfast included and we had nothing to comment on. The tram station was very close to the hotel, which allowed us to get to the centre in no time. As a general rule, if you know what to expect from this hotel (and from the little money that you spend), you will not have any bad surprises.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to A&O Dresden Hauptbahnhof? Share your experiences!