“Ideal location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski

You added Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski to your Saves list
Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Taschenberg 3, 01067 Dresden, Saxony, Germany (Innere Altstadt)   |
Ranked #7 of 124 Hotels in Dresden
UK
“Ideal location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

The main thing about this hotel is its superb location right in the centre of the historical town near the river, but still fairly quiet. A 15 minute early morning run is to go past the opera house, across the river, right along the opposite bank and then back across the river and through the old town back to the hotel. No need to cross any busy roads and amazing views of the city as you cross the bridges.

My room on the first floor had a wonderful high ceiling with plenty of space. Dont know if I had an upgrade without realising it, but other members of the group on the higher floors said their rooms had lower ceilings and were less grand.

The hotel lobby is a bit of a shame with a rather naff blue wall which gives a slightly cheap first impression, but get past this and it smartens up. Overall, for such a big hotel it has a pleasant ambience of luxury, helped by its location.

Room Tip: biggest rooms on the first floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

The entrance is not as nice as it seems in the picture, the lobby is just plain. The standard room is small and the TV is from the 1980's! They only had the BBC in English. The bathroom had cheap, white ceramic tile and the shower stall was tiny - not exactly what you would expect from the historic palace that was once inhabited by the members of the royal court (a mistress of the prince, but still). The bed was small and hard, not luxurious at all! The comforters were not down (feather). The rest of the hotel was nice enough. It was a comfortable stay just not what we were expecting for the price and the alleged grandeur of the hotel. I expected more from a Kempinski Hotel.

Re: room service
We ordered a cheeseburger (medium) and got a rubber piece of meat that you wouldn't feed to a dog. I ordered a pizza (not on the menu but they made it for me anyway, it was ok). The woman who took the order and delivered the meal was rude and inappropriate. She didn't even remove our food from the hotbox. We asked if the service charge was included and she said no, which I thought was strange, as it is usually included. It turned out that she in fact had lied to us. The fact that they would hire and keep a staff member like her around draws the entire hotel management under suspicion.

The ladies in reception were very pleasant and helpful. The Concierge was also pleasant. I liked that the "bellboy" was actually a girl and she was very nice and willing to help. She let our daughter "help" push the cart. The porter was also professional and nice to us and our daughter. Unfortunately, their politeness did not outweigh the disappointment with the room and the terrible room service.

All that being said, the location of the hotel was excellent.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

We had a fantastic time in Dresden. The city is superb, there's very good and affordable shopping to do and restaurants are great.

For such a prestigious hotel, we would have expected a spectacular lobby. No, it’s not. It’s huge but it doesn’t have a soul or warmth.

Our stay at the Taschenberpalais was memorable. However, it didn't start off too good as the front desk clerk we got was cold and not so helpful. It was 3h00pm but apparently, our room was not ready, so he told us to wait on the side for 10-15 minutes. After 45 minutes of waiting (and complaining twice), someone finally led us to our room.

We had booked a standard room, including breakfast (directly from the hotel web page). The room was spotless, especially considering the piano-black lacquered furniture. It was large enough for two, well equipped and comfortable. Only the view was not so great (directly in front of the hotel garage entrance and delivery door).

The breakfast was exceptional. I challenge anyone to say that there’s something missing. There’s a sweet and a salty section. Coffee is great. All you can think of for breakfast is there; even sparkling wine to give a bubbly start to your day. All this, in a sumptuous place and to the sound of classical music. We would have stayed there all day…

We will return to Dresden for sure and we’ll consider staying at the Taschenbergpalais again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sliema, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

This is a really wonderful hotel with a fantastic location. The major attractions are either located literally next door to the hotel or just within short walking distance. The hotel is a beautiful palace and it really felt like a palace with lovley high ceilings throughout the building and a rich and elegant ambience and very spacious rooms. A good choice of dining options were available and we dined at two of these and both were pleasant and enjoyable. We look forward to visiting Dresden again in the spring or summer season and will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Arezzo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

The checkin was faultless with charming staff showing me to my room. The room itself was not huge but well sized for me. If I have any criticism it is there was only a small TV not a decent sized flat screen one. However I wasn't there to watch TV. The room looked out over the entrance courtyard and the opera. It was quiet and I was not disturbed by anything so slept well. The bathroom was well appointed with shower and bath. There is high speed room WiFi although at a charge of €25 per day. The breakfast is excellent with a wide range of food available and different teas. There are a wide range of restaurants at the hotel. I used the intermezzo area for afternoon tea and the pub attached to the hotel. Both were just what I wanted. Service throughout was friendly and helpful. The concierge organized tickets for the Green Vault. The hotel is next door to all the museums and is very convenient. Excellent and relaxing!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

This is a very well located hotel in a restored palace right in the heart of Dresden. It is pleasant and well-appointed, and entirely suitable for the usual two-day stopover in that city.

The rooms are quite large and pleasantly decorated. I was a little surprised to see small 4 x 3 CRT TV screens in lieu of the large flat screens which are the standard today. We didn’t care as we are not big watchers of TV.

Breakfast is very good (hot offerings aside) and we also tried the bars, the cafe and the fine dining restaurant. All were of a good standard without being brilliant. The staff were of the usual high standard one gets used to from Kempinski, and they managed arrival, departure, transfers and general advice really well.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

First the positives. The hotel itself was beautiful and the furnishings were the highlight. It really felt like taking a step back in time and about 10 steps up the social ladder. Both the Karl May Bar and the Vestibule cafe were also excellent, and the service in the cafe was the one bright spot in the service category. The room was large enough for the extra bed we needed for the third person, and the window gave a partially obstructed view of the Frauenkirche, which was quite impressive. The weather was frigid and snowy, so the location close to the Advent markets was another plus. Of course, it would be a prime location at any time of the year.

All of that aside, we ended up leaving with a bitter taste in our mouths, due entirely to the inexcusably bad service. It started at check-in with a coldness on the part of the desk staff and no offer to help with luggage. Perhaps they were offended that I had made the reservation through an on-line booking service? I'm not sure, but at $500+ per night I think they could have acted a little less put out with the bother of directing us to our room. The poor service continued when we asked for restaurant advice from the concierge. After pitching the horribly expensive restaurant in the hotel, he finally did give us a couple of recommendations ... one of which was closed. The capper, though, was at check out. I mentioned it was snowy and cold, but there was still a doorman at the gate out front. We had the concierge call us a taxi to get to the train station, and he told us to wait inside. However, nobody bothered to tell the doorman, so when the taxi came, he simply held the car door open for a bystander who walked up. When I asked for a second call, the concierge was visibly irritated. I asked if I should wait outside, and he acted like that was a foolish suggestion. He called the taxi, then disappeared. The taxi came and the same thing happened again. By this time the first concierge was nowhere to be found, and I was out of patience. They called a third taxi, and this time I went out to make sure the doorman held it for us. Throughout the whole process my very normal expectation of having a taxi called for me was treated as an imposition. This is the kind of treatment I would be disappointed with in a 3-star hotel, but it is totally unacceptable at the price point and implied service level of a 5-star hotel.

I will be back in Dresden, but I will not stay here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski? Share your experiences!