“Good for work, maybe not for pleasure.” 3 of 5 stars

Elmhurst Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   51 Church Rd, Earley, Wokingham RG6 1EY, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Earley
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Good for work, maybe not for pleasure.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Large hotel about 3 miles from Reading station. Taxi fare at time of writing about eight pound.

On arrival I was met quickly at reception and the formalities gone through and left to make my own way to the room.

The room was a double en-suite and was in a mostly clean condition. The room was fine, the bathroom was a bit grubby under the sink and it was clear it had a serious mould problem and this had all been scrubbed off.
The bed was comfortable and clean and all the fitting were in good order.
Tea & coffee makings in the room.
The hotel cooks meals and has a small bar, neither of which were expensive. Most meals on the menu were six pounds and were of a good quality. The hotel serves food from 1830 to 2045 hours.
I didn't have breakfast as in the morning when I went down for it at 7am the dining area was heaving with people and I prefer a quieter morning thank you! :)

The room was mostly quiet... Which brings me to what I consider a downside.

A totally subjective view and I do not wish to be rude but the hotel was full of tradesmen and this meant that most communal areas were quite loud and people returning to their rooms late and somewhat loudly. Which caused me to wake a couple of times.
Also... I was able to clearly hear the person next door whilst they were urinating.

On leaving I was pleasantly surprised at the bill being low for a hotel in terms of food and drink and is a definite plus.

Like I said in the title, for work this hotel maybe fine for you, but I wouldn't wish to spend my own money here for time away.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I booked the hotel online and the photos made it look quite nice and homely. We only needed somewhere to stop for one night as we had a day ticket for Reading festival, but this place made us wish we'd bunked up in some stranger's tent right next to the smelly portaloos for the night instead!

As soon as we walked in, we were met with a pretty nasty smell and the place looked very drab and down at heel. The man at reception was quite abrupt and unhelpful and just waved a finger in the direction of our rooms. We had to walk past an open storage cupboard full of rubbish and past some random stuff shoved in a corner near the stairs. When we found our rooms, my sister's room hadn't even been cleaned and the bed was still unmade from the last people who had stayed there. When her boyfriend complained, the man was very unapologetic and just said that they probably hadn't had time yet.

Sleeping wasn't easy as the mattress was lumpy and there was lots of noise from other guests slamming doors and trying to get their keys in the locks. The rooms weren't very clean and the bathroom was vile. Needless to say we didn't bother staying to try the breakfast but made a quick exit early the next morning!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Earley hotels

Northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed here for one night over the Reading Festival weekend. My main reasons for choosing it was 1. it was close to city centre 2.It was cheap (3. I called another very well rated/slightly more expensive hotel first and as soon as the lady heard I was going to the Reading Festival she became snooty and rude).
Yes, the place looks old and run-down a bit; but for the money I couldn't fault it. I had a single room as all I needed was a place to sleep.
They let me check in early (even before they had a chance to clean the room from the previous guest) I dropped my stuff off in the room, then left my key behind the desk and off I went. -The guy behind the desk was very helpful giving me directions and advising me on what bus to take into town.
I got back about 1am, got my key of the front desk guy, the bar was closed but he let me buy a bottle of water from it, then off I went to bed. - The room had been cleaned during the day with fresh bed linen and a towel left for me.
I had a great sleep.
I was offered breakfast (included in room price) in the morning. It looked nice enough from the other people in the restaurant area but I had to leave sharpish.

It's not the "Ritz", but you get what you pay for I suppose. -So if you're just after a place to crash, or even have a few beers at the end of the day - you can do allot worse.
Staff were friendly and helpful.

I would stay here again in a similar situation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Milton Keynes, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I think, in general, you get what you pay for. This is a cheap hotel and no-one’s going to mistake it for anything more. The décor is very dated (80s?) and the whole atmosphere is a bit dark, dingy and faintly smelly. On the other hand, there is a very comfortable TV lounge with a big screen, a pleasant garden and patio, good wi-fi, a decent breakfast with several choices and plenty of hot water. The staff are polite (if apathetic) and the place seems clean. My single room was even quite spacious.

Ultimately, though, the hotel is let down by the most fundamental of things. The number one requirement that we all have in a hotel is a comfortable bed, but my mattress was knackered. It was terribly lumpy. I had it turned because the bottom half was marginally better but I could still feel the springs.

What’s more, my bed had been made up with a duvet cover that had a visible burn mark and a pillow that was split open with the stuffing falling out (see photo). It would have been made up that day by a member of staff who could not fail to be aware of what they were doing. I find it hard to understand how any self-respecting hotel, at any price range, would allow that, but my complaint at Reception was met with a disinterested shrug.

Room Tip: Mine was a single with shared bathroom. I don't know how many rooms fit that description but, a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I spent 2 nights in this hotel, it may not be the best hotel in the world but the bed in my room was really comfortable, better than any that I have had in any of the big chains and the breakfast was really good. Good value for money and the staff were friendly and helpful

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Guildford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I were staying for a couple of nights for a convention at Reading University that weekend so we had booked this hotel in advance for its location and seemingly good value - £96, 2 nights for a double room with ensuite and breakfast. From the pictures it seemed quaint but nice...that changed once we got there.

We got the vibe that this place had been bought and had nothing done to it - so it looked tired and in need of updating. The owners and staff were not very helpful and seemed to not care about their job; as if us asking for information was the hardest thing we could have possibly be asked them. It didn't help that what looked like their children were playing in the bar amongst the guests instead of the family's own residence.

We had to find our way to the room and were met with a small room with an unappealing bed and even more unappealing bathroom. It wasn't dirty - just very unattractive. The door didn't close properly - you have to really push against it to make it close all the way. The shower was decent though. Overall, the room wasn't a place we wished to relax in or spend vast amounts of time in.

The hotel is situated roughly 2 miles from the centre of Reading so it's far enough away to not be affected by noise and traffic but be reachable by car or public transportation easily - or a walk if you're in the mood. There's a church and a school next to the hotel with minimal residential space around so it's quiet at night so you feel quite safe if out at night.

Breakfast was a bit of a mixed affair. The choice of hot food options was good as was the portion of toast you got. However, unlike most places, the cereals were not displayed and milk was not available; you have to ask for the cereal and even then you get three options: Corn Flakes, Muesli or Rice Krispies. It claims to be a 3 course breakfast - if you could call fruit juice or coffee a course! The portion itself was decent but could've done with being a little bigger. The disappointment were the fried mushrooms as they were very small and the portion itself was barely a dozen of them. A feast(!)

What really marked this hotel down for us was the service. Our friends were staying in the hotel as well and their booking went 'missing'. They had an email to prove they had booked it but it wasn't on the hotel's system. After 20 minutes of nervous searching, it was found...then the hotel tried to make them pay again. Thankfully they didn't get their wish but that's a serious concern in which to take note of.

I would really avoid using this hotel if you can help it. It's not worth the apathetic staff, dreary interior and questionable administration. If budget constrains you though, then just be cautious.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rugby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Single room, shared bathroom facilities. Wasn't expecting much as it was so cheap to book. Room was fairly clean, small but functional. TV with freeview was a nice surprise! Having to share the bathroom wasn't ideal - bath/shower combo, when tap was running, water was hot, but when converting into shower it was freezing cold. Had to crouch under hot tap to wash my hair!
Also, door wasn't particularly sturdy - didn't make me feel very secure.
Policy is to leave your key at the desk if you go out, and I wasn't too happy about that either.
No problems, but I was only there to sleep. You get what you pay for - my stay was only £35, so I was definitely not expecting The Ritz.
Would not stay for longer than one night, and definitely not for a holiday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Elmhurst Hotel? Share your experiences!