“Not in the summer” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Campus Lounge Hotel

Campus Lounge Hotel
You added Campus Lounge Hotel to your Saves list
Campus Lounge Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mersinweg 2, 33100 Paderborn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany   |
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Paderborn
Columbia, Missouri
“Not in the summer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Location at the University campus, so convenient if you have business there. Very basic room with uninspiring facilities. My biggest difficulty was having a ground floor room facing out on a street with no air conditioning in summer. I'd have loved to be able to open my door/window fully, but that was impossible given the location. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at the Campus Lounge Hotel in Paderborn, for five nights. On the evening of Sunday 12th May I was greeted by a friendly receptionist; (waitress and cook) given my room card and then I went up to my room, number 310. The room had plenty of space and the furniture was practical. A quick comment on the small balcony; there was neither a seat to sit on, nor was the concrete floor cleaned in some years. Most likely caused by the weather, the floor was covered in a dark-green or brown coating. I noticed other balcony floors on the same level and below, that these floors were clean. I nearly forgot to mention; the pillow was far too soft, though very large. Without folding it at least twice, you would believe your head was lying on the mattress!
I´ve written receptionist, waitress and cook because, when I left my lovely and large room I went to the bar, I couldn´t find the bar person. I went to the reception to ask and, was informed by the very same young and friendly person I´d received my room card from, that she was serving behind the bar too. Not necessarily unusual I decided. But, when I went to breakfast on the first morning, I complimented a waitress on the good-tasting food and requested, that she passed this onto the cook. Well, the “cook” actually came to my table to thank me for my words. The “cook” was once again, the very same person who served at the reception and behind the bar the evening before!
I´ve often observed in some hotels, that receptionists have worked from 14:00, finished at 23:30 and, were standing at the reception at 07:00 the following morning! These people have to get home first of all, possibly eat something, maybe shower, and only then can they can they get some sleep or at least, rest! The service in Campus Lounge Hotel was bad for one simple reason. Some personal there have multiple tasks to perform – which is very normal in professional life today only, you can only be in one place at a time! If you´re checking guests in or out, the people in the bar, wait! If you´re serving in the bar, the guests at the reception, wait! There will surely be a financial saving for hotel management´s “multitasking-method” but, it clearly reduces the standard of service! Bad service doesn´t bring guests back to the same hotel!
I noticed young Americans lying around the bar area on the first evening. The men were clothed decently where their female counterparts were dressed in tee-shirts, ever-receding shorts and, some even had their bare feet on the seats they occupied! Nothing against Americans of course but, perhaps this hotel could enforce a dress code policy which, would be for the benefit of other fellow guests! These American were clearly students of the university in Paderborn.
I also noticed at breakfast, that a few female Americans wore lose-hanging tee-shirts and, boxer-short-looking garments. If I were on the beach on holiday, this sort of clothing would indeed be appropriate – but not at breakfast! As a matter of mild interest, I saw this kind of “ignorance” to a dress code in Mexico a few years ago. In the evenings at dinner, it was the Americans – young and not so young, that wore tee-shirts and shorts. Perhaps hotel management didn´t enforce their dress code policy for fear of losing custom? It´s just a great shame, that certain individuals simply ignore a clear, written sign in front of an eating place stating, that appropriate clothing is to be worn! “When in Rome do as the Romans do”? I suppose this philosophy is not taught everywhere and, isn´t respected or practiced either.
Going back to breakfast on the second and the rest of my mornings in Campus Lounge Hotel; I wish to write the following. The dark-haired waitress did not greet me as I walked into the restaurant but instead, asked me for my room number! This verbal ritual continued until my last morning there. I did not once get the impression, that this young lady, either liked her job or, enjoyed being there!
The short, blond-haired waitress wearing black glasses, serving in the restaurant mornings and middays, was far more friendly, professional and talkative. Equally, the blond-haired receptionist, waitress and cook, was fantastic! This does not indicate, that blond-haired waitresses are more diligent, friendlier or professional, than non-blond-haired waitresses.
Would I like to stay in this hotel again? Yes and, I will speak with management about the observations I´ve written above. Sometimes a personal talk with management has more impact, which from my experiences brings positive results, than writing a review. Fellow hotel guests benefit from our reviews, management perhaps from direct and verbal interaction.

Room Tip: Once you´ve read my "Receptionist, waitress and cook" review you´ll understand, why bringi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The Campus Lounge is a good, clean, quiet hotel located next to the campus of the University of Paderborn. I have stayed there many times. If you are doing something at the Uni, it's a great choice. There are also apartments available with a kitchenette, but they are usually booked well in advance. The price is good, and breakfast is fantastic. Helpful staff.

It is about a 10 minute cab ride from the train station.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Kentisbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We were in Padderborn for my Wife's son's medal ceremony. The room was comfortable and well appointed with balcony. Breakfast was very good and was nice to have it cooked for us as we run a B&B in North Devon. Above all we found the staff very friendly, helpful and wanting us to enjoy their hotel and city. The only problem we haqd during our stay was a rather long wait for a drink at the bar but the barman was so worried I was given a very nice brandy on the house.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Booked hotel for price & location as in area visiting family. Rooms were clean & we had requested a quiet location which we got. Breakfast was ok but nothing special suffice to say it was edible (bt will say the fresh bread was delicious). Staff were helpful & polite.
Would book again if we went back to Paderborn.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights on a visit to Paderborn. Excellent resteraunt Breakfast and evening meals were very well presented and good quality. Staff were helpfull and assisted with our struggling language.

Rooms are very basic but clean and tidy. Furniture is a little dated and a very small TV in room,
with just two english speaking channels. ( BBC and CNN news channels )

Parking is very poor and could not find any marked purely for Hotel, first come first served with everyone who is in the area, which was a little frustrating. Suprised to see the main bar area is a Smoking area, and found the air quality so bad we avoided it. But generally its clean, tidy somewhat basic but food and staff make up for it.

We did not experiance the noise mentioned in other entries, but the only way to get fresh air in the room was to open full sized patio doors which was lovely and cool but out on to a reasonable busy road.

Room Tip: Be prepared for some noise from the street - but did not find it excessive.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

This is the second time I've stayed here and hopefully will be my last.

The issues started the moment I arrived. They asked for payment upfront - no problem as I was staying for 3 weeks so my business manager had arranged for a wire transfer before I arrived. The hotel managed to mess this up. This has happened to every employee of our company who has ever stayed here.

Secondly they got the got the room wrong. Now whilst the reception staff were very helpful they couldn't do anything to resolve the matter so called the manageress - who was about about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard. I required and had booked a double suite, the best they could offer was a single room with an extra bed. No apologies, nothing!

There was no aircon, so whilst it would have been nice to have the window open to get some air in the room, it was impossible due to the noise of the ALL night parties in the adjacent student halls.

The restaurant was open for approx 1 week of my three week stay without any warning. It would have been nice to have been warned at breakfast.

To top it off when we came to settle the bar bill at the end of our stay I noticed an extra 200 euros had been added. This was apparantly for the extra bed. So it worked out more expensive to cram an extra bed in a single room than it would have been to have a double suite. How does that work out?

All in all I would never recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to Campus Lounge Hotel? Share your experiences!