We just returned from a lovely long weekend at this hotel.
We originally booked the Radisson Blu Media Hafen but decided to change our booking a few days before arriving. We didn't regret this one minute!
The hotel opened very recently (a few months ago) and they still have to get a few things straight but those were only minor points.
I will start with the things that we experienced as very positive :
- I e-mailed the hotel a few requests before arriving and they were fulfilled without any problems. Very nice!
- Nice high-tec industrial design but not over-the-top. Bright and functional rooms. The open-bathroom is something that is getting very common in hotels all over the world. We like it a lot (there isn't much we haven't seen of each other after being together 8 years :-)) but I imagine that colleagues sharing the same room think about this in a different way...
- Comfortable, wide (180cms) king size bed.
- Rooms with windows that can be opened. This might sound a bit odd but it is very important to us. In many hotels (even the luxury ones) the rooms can't be opened and you depend on air conditioning which I don't like.
- Free minibar and nespresso machine (even though the minibar is very limited, it is a nice touch).
- Lovely breakfast and friendly, helpfull staff. A nice variety of products (large choice of bread and rolls, salmon, meats and cheeses, juices, Very nice scrambled eggs (hotels that don't serve the horrible powdered eggs are getting rare these days...), nice crispy bacon, nice coffees (served by the friendly staff)... We travel a lot and this is how a 4* hotel breakfast should be! Well done!
- Nice, hot sauna (including nice music :-)). A pity that there is no jacuzzi but I'm not complaining.
- Lovely location and lovely views. We know Düsseldorf very well and we always wanted to stay in the Media harbour. Yes - it is a bit of a walk to the city centre but if you have done your homework, you should know that before arriving. It allways annoys me when people complain about hotel locations while they were the ones that actually decided to stay there!
- Everything very clean! Yes it is a new hotel but even then, this is not 'obvious' at all.
There were also a few minor flaws and those were the reason that I gave 4/5. They are small things I admit but they can be easily fixed so I will still mention them anyway:
- No mattress covers on the bed (this must be the first time I have slept in a hotel bed without a mattress cover). Not very hygienic and I'm afraid that the mattresses will look terrible in a few months time...
- The pillows are too fluffy. We like firm pillows but there were none :-((
- The blinds in the room were broken so there was loads of daylight from 6.30am.
- 2 separate duvets on the bed. This is a very German thing and I know that many people like this but we don't...
- No BVN or Dutch speaking channels on the tv (we didn't come to Düsseldorf to watch tv but just half an hour of tv before going to bed is always nice). Other hotels in the city that we stayed at had BVN.
- The hotel bar: We had a drink in the Sky bar on the second night and we weren't too impressed at all. We both ordered the same wine and both came in completely different glasses?! Not a big deal you might think but when I pay big prices, I expect big service! When I mentioned it to the waitress, all she said was 'Is it ok?' When the bill came, the price was also higher than the price on the bar menu?? I decided to leave it and asked her if she could charge the drinks onto the room. She replied: 'Do you have a pen to sign??' A waitress without a pen...no comment. As mentioned by other reviewers, a separate, small 'quiet' hotel bar, even downstairs should be a nice idea.
Despite these few small flaws, we will most probably return to this hotel as we really enjoyed our stay so I would definitely recommend it! Well done!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotel.de, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Agoda, HotelTravel.com and Odigeo so you can book your Innside Duesseldorf Hafen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.