I'm tempted to give 3 stars, but it's probably 3.5 and I'm rounding up to 4 because I would actually stay here again. However, I would only do so if my first choice was not available.
While I did like this hotel, there were just too many small annoyances to make it a true 4 star for me.
- inexpensive - we were here during a huge trade show, and rates were very competitive, particularly considering this is a boutique-ish property
- very friendly and courteous staff - probably the real reason I didn't want to give 3 stars - the front desk staff were so nice
- two free bottles of water and two free beers (ok, so they're Becks. They're free) waiting in the fridge
- walking distance to the Altstadt, konigsallee and mediahafen (if you consider a mile walking distance. This may be too far for some folks). This may also be a con.
- water heater
- lots of bakeries, convenience stores nearby
- the 703 tram stops nearby, takes you to the altstadt if you don't feel like walking or taking a cab, fare is 2,50€
- odd location in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure this is why the rates are relatively low. It's about equidistant from the mediahafen and the altstadt/konigsallee, and not really close to any points of interest. It's a 6-7€ cab ride to the altstadt in the evening (with little traffic)
- tiny rooms. We got a business double and it was probably just over 200 sq ft.
- the door key was faulty - may have been an isolated issue, but we had to wave the key in front if the sensor for 5-10 seconds before the door would unlock. Minor, sure, but still an annoyance
- the bathroom door is glass, with frosting in the middle portion and no lock. There's a good 1/2" opening at the top and bottom, which prevents none of the sounds (or smells) from escaping into your tiny room. If you're staying with someone else, check your modesty at the front desk.
The breakfast buffet is pretty standard - scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, an assortment of breads, cold cuts and cheeses, cereals, juices, coffee, etc - you get the picture. If you're looking for a hot breakfast, I'm not sure there are many other options nearby. And at 15€, I'd rather grab some pastries and coffee at one of the many bakeries within three blocks of the hotel.
If prices were equal, and allowing enough lead time they may be, I'd prefer the convenience of staying in the mediahafen (I stayed at the Radisson Blu Harbour previously, it was REALLY nice and reasonable) or the altstadt. But, if the prices elsewhere were prohibitive, I would stay here again.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you so much for your kind an fair comment.
We appreciate that you felt comfortable at our hotel.
For us as Servents there is noch higher praise as an satisfied guest.
But still we take your con´s serious. Some of your listed points you shouldn´t had to experience and we deeply regret them. You can take us there we will defintely work on the con´s as far as this is possible.
Regarding the breakfast i´d love to here from you what you specific missed, as specially the breakfast is an very important topic to us.
Thank you and we are looking forward to you next stay.
Lars Dünker - Regional General Manager NRW & Team
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.