“Excellent bed & breakfast in Dusseldorf !!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sir & Lady Astor Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sir & Lady Astor Hotel to your Saves list
Sir & Lady Astor Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kurfurstenstrasse 18-23 | Stadtmitte, 40211 Dusseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany (Stadt-Mitte)   |
Ranked #7 of 242 hotels in Dusseldorf
hongkong
“Excellent bed & breakfast in Dusseldorf !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Hotel Sir & Lady Astor is a wonderful hotel I'd recommend to everybody.
First of all, hotel staff is very friendly and helpful, make you feel like a home.
Location is excellent, closed to HBF and japan town. And you can walk to the oldtown within 10minutes. Breakfast is excellent. Everything was just perfect !!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Wiesbaden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

On a visit to D-dorf I searched the usual sites looking for something reasonable close to the center of town and found this (actually these two) little places. The Sir and Lady Astor are actually two hotels in the same street (Kurfürstenstrasse) - rather unassuming places tucked into a quiet side street in between apartment buildings.

If the email for my on-line reservation told me which hotel I was in, I missed it, and so walked up to the wrong one - the Lady Astor. The friendly lady at the counter informed me that I was in the wrong place and directed me to the 50 feet and on the opposite side of the street, Sir Astor. As stated, from the outside there isn't much to the place - a plain white front with black window shades extending out from the ground level windows and doors.

At the Sir Astor a young man greeted me, asked me where I had parked and then directed me to the Parking Garage otherwise I would be risking a ticket and maybe towing. For € 11 Euro per night, not such a big deal with reserved spaces for the Hotel. The garage though shares an entry way with a body shop.

The room itself was not numbered - but I believe it is the only room on the ground floor of the Sir Astor, and so it was a nice large room. The decor - see pictures - is a bit different with dark-black furniture, red wall paper and a light, brownish-gold kind of ceiling. Somewhat of an oriental feel, not lessened by the presence of Buddha heads. But it still felt very comfortable and it looked clean. The dark wood floors enhance the overall picture and give the place a solid quality. The bath was large, room for two sinks and a huge mirror, but only a shower to clean up in. Since I'm not a fan of baths or tubs, that was fine with me. The shower doors are however, of the cheap aluminum and plastic type, and probably the worst feature of the place. In contrast, maybe because I was on the ground floor, the water pressure in the shower was great. The bathroom floor is tiled in a faux marble kind of tile. It is also dark and looks very nice. A hair dryer and magnifying mirror round out the appliances.

The bed was quite comfortable and the pillows sufficiently fluffy to provide a good sleep. Lacking was the air conditioning, but fortunately it cooled and rained, so the night temperature was ok. To help with cooling the room, three large windows open fully to let the air in and give a view to a small garden with a fountain and a few chairs. Due to the rain, no one was out there.

The breakfast room is small and similarly furnished, with dark tables and chairs, set of in contrast to the white walls. It wasn't a huge spread, but had most everything one needs for a start - cold cuts, cheese, cereals, rolls, bread. A very hard working and truly nice waitress tends to everything, including baking you scrambled eggs with (or without) bacon and delivers coffee (or beverage of choice) with a smile and the appropriate speed.

The hotel is a small gem, pleasant staff and nice surroundings, even if the neighborhood doesn't look all that great. I took a stroll after my stay and found quite a few sites within the 1 hour circle I walked, to include the Königsallee. I didn't quite reach the banks of the Rhein, but there where matters to attend to.

Room Tip: The ground floor would not be my choice in this case - I was awakened pretty early by the sounds of...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
New Hope, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the Lady Astor side of the hitel Thus is a great find, the kind of hotel to share with friends. Well priced, nice staff, easy walk to HBF train, nice breakfast, hot water to shower, quiet neighborhood but near enough to activities. We will stay again.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

The hotel is very close to central station and really nicely decorated.
I stayed in lady Astor in the third floor. The best is to send an email in advance and ask for a specific room, in the 1 or 2 floor in Lady Astor. Each room has a name like Paris, Burberry, Asia, Coco Chanel etc :) all the rooms in the 3 rd floor are the same, the theme is Queen Victoria, so the style is more classic / British
The downside is that the breakfast is served in the hotel across the street "Sir Astor", but it is a small street so it takes 1 minute to cross it.
Another thing I did not like is the attitude of the guy at reception, I supposed he is the owner, he is ok but could smile a little more and be more friendly. He somehow always seems a little annoyed by everything.
Breakfast is typical for small boutique hotels, a little bit of everything including hot waffles. The cleaning of the room is really amazing, the cleaning personnel makes up ur room every day and leave a piece of cake and candy in ur room :)
All in all I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 1 and 2 floor in lady Astor
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Ankara, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

It is a small and very clean hotel. I stayed there for one night. We had asked for a double room with separate beds. But there were two mattresses on one bed. Fortunately I was with my best friend, so there was no problem. But it could get really awkward, if I went there with someone else. During the night I heard many different types of sounds like oscillating beds and roars of joy..
I have to say that breakfast was really good. Staff was very helpful. The receptionist was a very kind man.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I stayed at the Lady Astor building of the Hotel (the Sir Astor is actually across the street) and it was a great experience. I had booked a special Christmas Market package through the hotel, so they provided me with Christmas Treats and wine in my room upon arrival. The food was actually really good and the room so comfortable, my friends and I (without realizing it) ended up spending almost an hour an a half enjoying the cakes and wine and lounging around the spacious room. Once we finally decided to make our way to one of the Christmas Markets, and even though I had just checked in, the maid came back in, tidied up after us, turned down the bed and drew the curtains for me when I came back in the evening, which I thought was a very nice touch.
I had a very comfortable night of sleep and honestly cannot find one thing to complain about from my stay. I will definitely be coming back.
One warning though - they are actually pretty strict on their check-in times (maybe because it was a busy time of the year), so make sure you don't try and check in too early (although there are plenty of places to grab a stein in the area if you do end up having to wait)!

Room Tip: The Clara Schumman Room was very nice!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Actually 2 different hotels acroos eachother: Sir Astor and Lady Astor. Both extremely well decorated. The rooms are really beautiful and have different themes (Paris, Africa, etc). Excellent start for the famous Christmas markets (15 min. walking); 10 minutes to start of shopping area. Nice rooms and equivalent bathroom. Small but Perfect breakfast with enough choices for a good "German" meal.
Stayed hear five years after each other 2006 to 2010. This year we stayed in Windsor. The hotel was recommended by the hotel manager as it was the same owner. See my Windsor review.

Room Tip: All rooms are different, but are all very charming. We stayed in the "Afrika"-room.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sir & Lady Astor Hotel? Share your experiences!