“Clean, Comfortable, Convenient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sir & Lady Astor Hotel

Booking.com Priceline.com
Sir & Lady Astor Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kurfurstenstrasse 18-23 | Stadtmitte, 40211 Dusseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany (Stadt-Mitte)   |
Ranked #4 of 240 hotels in Dusseldorf
New Hope, Pennsylvania
“Clean, Comfortable, Convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the Lady Astor side of the hitel Thus is a great find, the kind of hotel to share with friends. Well priced, nice staff, easy walk to HBF train, nice breakfast, hot water to shower, quiet neighborhood but near enough to activities. We will stay again.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

The hotel is very close to central station and really nicely decorated.
I stayed in lady Astor in the third floor. The best is to send an email in advance and ask for a specific room, in the 1 or 2 floor in Lady Astor. Each room has a name like Paris, Burberry, Asia, Coco Chanel etc :) all the rooms in the 3 rd floor are the same, the theme is Queen Victoria, so the style is more classic / British
The downside is that the breakfast is served in the hotel across the street "Sir Astor", but it is a small street so it takes 1 minute to cross it.
Another thing I did not like is the attitude of the guy at reception, I supposed he is the owner, he is ok but could smile a little more and be more friendly. He somehow always seems a little annoyed by everything.
Breakfast is typical for small boutique hotels, a little bit of everything including hot waffles. The cleaning of the room is really amazing, the cleaning personnel makes up ur room every day and leave a piece of cake and candy in ur room :)
All in all I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 1 and 2 floor in lady Astor
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Ankara, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

It is a small and very clean hotel. I stayed there for one night. We had asked for a double room with separate beds. But there were two mattresses on one bed. Fortunately I was with my best friend, so there was no problem. But it could get really awkward, if I went there with someone else. During the night I heard many different types of sounds like oscillating beds and roars of joy..
I have to say that breakfast was really good. Staff was very helpful. The receptionist was a very kind man.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I stayed at the Lady Astor building of the Hotel (the Sir Astor is actually across the street) and it was a great experience. I had booked a special Christmas Market package through the hotel, so they provided me with Christmas Treats and wine in my room upon arrival. The food was actually really good and the room so comfortable, my friends and I (without realizing it) ended up spending almost an hour an a half enjoying the cakes and wine and lounging around the spacious room. Once we finally decided to make our way to one of the Christmas Markets, and even though I had just checked in, the maid came back in, tidied up after us, turned down the bed and drew the curtains for me when I came back in the evening, which I thought was a very nice touch.
I had a very comfortable night of sleep and honestly cannot find one thing to complain about from my stay. I will definitely be coming back.
One warning though - they are actually pretty strict on their check-in times (maybe because it was a busy time of the year), so make sure you don't try and check in too early (although there are plenty of places to grab a stein in the area if you do end up having to wait)!

Room Tip: The Clara Schumman Room was very nice!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Actually 2 different hotels acroos eachother: Sir Astor and Lady Astor. Both extremely well decorated. The rooms are really beautiful and have different themes (Paris, Africa, etc). Excellent start for the famous Christmas markets (15 min. walking); 10 minutes to start of shopping area. Nice rooms and equivalent bathroom. Small but Perfect breakfast with enough choices for a good "German" meal.
Stayed hear five years after each other 2006 to 2010. This year we stayed in Windsor. The hotel was recommended by the hotel manager as it was the same owner. See my Windsor review.

Room Tip: All rooms are different, but are all very charming. We stayed in the "Afrika"-room.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Very polite and genuine friendly staff. Everything was clean. The breakfast very good with many choices. The interior design warm and classy. For welcome gave me biscuits. I felt very comfortable.Close to central station and only 10 minutes to the city center, on foot.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Antwerp
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I've been in this hotel for three days, but that was enough to realize that this must be the best hotel in Düsseldorf. You can find the owner himself the whole day through in his hotel, and even in the evening he is there to listen to you - in good English and always very friendly and helpful (and that's really not that obvious in Germany).

I would also like to make an honourable mention to the maid with the Arabic name (I respect her privacy). She is by far the best maid I've ever seen, and I've been in a lot of hotels around the world. I forgot to put my dirty clothes in the special bag (which you can find in the cabinet in your room) for it - she did. I forgot to ventilate my room - she did. And much more. She even put on the lights when darkness fell and I had not arrived yet. She even didn't only just cleaned the room, but she also putted everything in the right place, including my toiletry, some magazines and the bag of my portable hard drive. No wonder you could find her at any time of the day in a random room (she's got her very own system to clean the rooms and I would advise the owner of the hotel to change absoluty nothing about it). Her husband must be a very happy person.

So now the pro's and the con's:
Pro's:
- Just the best hotel in Düsseldorf
- Nearby the station
- English speaking staff
- Good breakfast (not obvious in Germany!)
- Good working (fast, stable) and free wifi (also not obvious)
- Beautiful decorating/theming,
- Very clean hotel, good maintained
- Parking garage nearby
- Safe hotel (they really keep an eye on things)
- No CFL bulbs (thank God for that, it totally ruins the atmosphere)
- Good bed

Con's:
- Düsseldorf (it's good for two or three days (if you're not an art lover) but there it stops, lucky enough there's a great theme park called Phantasialand in the neighbourhood)
- Parking garage is not the most pleasant please to visit in the evening (but it's not owned by the hotel so it's not their fault)
- No airconditioning in the normal rooms
- No other then German TV stations
- Bad pillows (way too soft)
(- Bathroom is quite small)

Overall a well deserved 5-star rating. Don't doubt, it's absolutely worth the money!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sir & Lady Astor Hotel? Share your experiences!