“Older hotel close to main station” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Leonardo Hotel Dusseldorf City Center

You added Leonardo Hotel Dusseldorf City Center to your Saves list
Leonardo Hotel Dusseldorf City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ludwig Erhard Allee 3, 40227 Dusseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany   |
Ranked #70 of 243 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Frankfurt, Germany
“Older hotel close to main station”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed there for one week on a business trip.

Hotel, location, vicinity: The building seems to be from the eighties and the furniture, carpets, etc. seem to be from the same era. Many smoker rooms and you can smell it everywhere, even in the non-smoking corridors. Small lobby, small spa and gym. Lying inbetween office buildings and 300 yards from the train station. Good subway connection. Difficult to park your car and the hotel parking garage is very small and also has no direct access from the hotel (you have to walk outside). Walking around in the area is not enjoyable. You will probably see prostitutes, tramps, junkies, drunks.

Guest rooms: My room was quite comfortable and spacious but was also showing signs of wear. Old TV set (no flat screen). Few sockets and none at the nightstand. Coffea/tea making facilities and fridge available. Internet available with charge. Spacious bathroom but no separate shower.

Bottom line: OK to stay there but don't expect too much. Convenient if you come by train or if you want to use the subway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Dusseldorf City Center, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Carlos C,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I would like to apologize for the unusual condition and the location of our hotel did not live up to your expectations. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the room accommodations you received and our parking lot affected you stay negatively. I want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Zagreb, Croatia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed in this hotel many times when in Dusseldorf, because of it's excellent location next to the central station. Last time I slept here 2 years ago and I have to say that quality decreased a lot since that time! Hotel rooms need renovation immediately. Room on 2nd floor that was presented to me as upgrade (I'm platinum PC member) smelled very bad. Big enough but old furniture, old TV, dirty carpets,... Staff unmotivated, rude and completely ignored my comment about the room. Breakfast also lost quality, I remember was excellent before (fresh salmon,fried rice, pancakes, fresh vegetables,...) everything is gone now! Breakfast staff didn't offer coffee or tea and didn't approach to me once to clean the table or ask if I needed something. Very strange behavior for international branded hotel. Management has to do something because property has good potential! In the meantime I will find another option to stay in Dusseldorf.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Dusseldorf City Center, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear doktor24,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback.Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience the overall condition of room may have caused. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that reason, your comments will surely be looked into. I appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention and assure you that proper measures have been taken to ensure that there will not be a recurrence.

I hope this would not deter you from choosing us again in the future.

Krysllin G.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The hotel position was excellent as we wanted to be near the railway station. Breakfast was good and room was very big. The problem was the bar man was always talking at reception and not serving the ample customers. At breakfast there were plenty of staff but nobody was clearing the tables making it difficult to enjoy the buffet breakfast. Staff need reminding about customer focus.

• Stayed January 2013
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed here with a large group and they managed us all quite well. The hotel is close to the main train station making it convenient for the airport, connections and the Altstadt. The breakfast was very good with a wide range. The bar has a limited selection and closes at 1am. The rooms were adequate and clean. The staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
St Helens, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed here before so I wasn't under any illusion that I was going to be bowled over by the accommodation. On checking in I was "upgraded". Quite normal as a Platinum card holder. However the room seemed no better than normal, just bigger with a camp bed thrown in for good measure. Having no need of the extra bed, it just seemed to make the room feel messy!

When we checked in we ordered 4 beers, one was warm, 3 were icy cold... we commented but drank up and begrudgingly paid. ....After a quick shower I decided to grab another beer whilst I waited for my colleagues... Sat at the bar I witnessed the barmaid top off a large beer that had been stood under the tap for God knows how long, with a dribble of cold beer from a smaller glass and hand it to me. I took one sip and complained that it was warm... Her reaction was to feel the glass then disappear. No apology. I sat there for 10 minutes whilst the inquest into the warm beer continued... Still no apology or offer of an alternative cold beverage!! Eventually I enquired whether I was just expected to drink the warm beer and I was informed of a technical problem. I could have a cold wheat beer instead. I declined...

Truth of the matter is that beer gets warm if it is stood behind the bar, not that technical really!

Room Tip: Make sure your beer hasn't been standing behind the bar.. insist on a fresh one out of the tap!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Dusseldorf City Center, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear TheMarsBars,

Thank you for being a Platinum Priority Club Member and for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with your room accommodations and the unacceptable service you received during your stay. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Karen C
Columbus GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were upgraded to a "Comfort Room" at check-in (did my Priority Club number help ??) which was on the back side of the hotel. We stayed in room 305 and the back side rooms are
not traditional rectangle sized rooms but ours was somewhat "triangular" shaped which made it much larger than rooms on the front side of the hotel. Yes, the TV was not flat screened model but who cares. I did use the gym facilities and found them clean but a little stuffy. The jacuzzi (hot tub), steam room and sauna looked great but we did't use them. I'm not sure where the
previous comments came from regarding the jacuzzi (hot tub) but the are look great in excellent condition. Breakfast was great and was included in our rate which made this hotel an awsome deal. And of course the location to the main train station was very convenient.

To orientate yourself from the train station to the hotel simply exit the train station on the back side (where the taxis are) and turn left walking along the back of the station. Follow the sidewalk and pass under an arch. The hotel is about 1 block down on your left side.

Room Tip: Back side of the building and a room that ends in 05 (205,305,405 etc)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Penang
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

The hotel is very conveniently located behind the Dusseldorf Main Station, so it was quite easy to travel around the city from the main station. It is actually just a 10 to 15 minutes walk to Konigsalle.

The front desk staff were helpful and friendly to give advise where and what to do in Dusseldorf.

However, I think the amenities were a bit outdated as there was no coffee making facility in room and apparently no cooling in room. The in room tv was a bit of an antique. The good thing about the room was its size, quite a spacious one relative to the rate paid.

Room Tip: Ask for the room facing the courtyard if you want to avoid the noise from the street.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Leonardo Hotel Dusseldorf City Center? Share your experiences!