“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pullman Dortmund

Save Saved
You added Pullman Dortmund to your Saves list
Pullman Dortmund
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lindemannstrasse 88, 44137 Dortmund, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany (Formerly Mercure Grand Hotel Dortmund an den Westfalenhallen)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #3 of 55 hotels in Dortmund
Finland
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed here because we went to a Dortmund game. Everything worked fine at the hotel. The breakfast was nice with fresh orange juice. A little hectic so the cook couldn´t make a omelett at that moment but there were plenty of other options and overall the breakfast felt fresh. Before the game they organized some "beer and wurst" in the lobby so nice to start the game there. The only thing I would critisize is the fact that the wifi didn´t work in the room, on the other hand the "business room" with several computers and printers and pre-bookmarked flight check-ins was great.
For our purpose the hotel was perfect and we would stay here again if we come to watch another game.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
PullmanDortmund, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Pullman Dortmund, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear The_Finnish_Flash, thank you so much for your lob! Our breakfast and kitchen team will be so proud that you appreciated all the offered possibilities. And you even find something nice to mention if wifi does not work! The beer and Currywurst is very typical in this area and especially at footbal games. It was our pleasure to help you getting into the right mood with this!
So we might be your hosts again for a champions league match? We hope to welcome you again!
Our best regards

247 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Morning reception staff are excellent. The hotel is excellent compared to others in town however the night staff was very unprofessional we asked him to get us the converter and he just ignored our request. I had to go down after a while to get it. I used the gym and had some water from the fridge which was complementary for gym users. I wouldn't throw away the water I used so I took it upstairs with me and the same reception person said that its only allowed for the gym and that he would let me off this time! very weird and funny!! The service is ok and breakfast staff are professional. The Gym is very small and one of the beds had black stains... ughh..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

PullmanDortmund, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Pullman Dortmund, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear worldtraveller8585, we appreciate your lob about our excellent staff so much, especially since you also had a weak experience during your stay. Thank you so much for taking your time to send us your feedback. If you should have another stay at PULLMAN Dortmund please inform us about any inconvenience immediately, this will give us a chance to make it y perfect stay for you.
Sending you our best regards from Dortmund
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Very comfortable hotel with pleasant and helpful hotel staff. Close to the airport. Short walk, approximately 5 minutes over the footbridge, to Dortmund Westfallenhalle. Good sewlection of food in the buffet breakfast. Convenient currency exchange.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

PullmanDortmund, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Pullman Dortmund, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear barbara_murphy1, thank you so much for taking the time to evaluate your stay at PULLMAN Dortmund. We are happy that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. The staff will be happy about your compliment! Sending you our best regards from Dortmund,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

I just stayed in this hotel, while on a business trip. It was booked by my travel agent, so I was a bit worried that the quality would be low. I was pleasantly surprised! I stay in a lot of hotels, because I travel for my job. This was a really clean hotel. And, the staff was nice and professional. In fact, I have stayed in hotels that cost considerably more, and, that are no where near as nice as this hotel. This is definitely a "do again" hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
PullmanDortmund, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Pullman Dortmund, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear PokerPsychic, the title of "do again" hotel ist very special and we appreciate it! We are happy that you consider our staff "nice and professionell", that is a great compliment of our work and attitude. Please visit us again on your next trip to Dortmund, we will be happy to be your hosts again!
Sending you our best regards from Dortmund, i.A. Larissa Schlotthauber, Resident Manager
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The staff are very friendly and very helpful, they gave us free early check in and late check out without any hassle, as we went for the mayday festival they were very accomodating with late sunday breakfast until 2pm for everyone etc, room very clean incl. a great coffee machine :)
I will definitely stay again next year....such a great hotel. Thanks for everything.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bwk_michael, thank you so much for calling us "such a great hotel"! That really makes us proud since you mention our attitude of giving without being asked for. We really try hard to divine what might help our guests and in your case we knew about the motive of your stay. So we prepared early check in and late check out options. We are looking forward to your stay next year!
My very best regards, i.A. Larissa Schlotthauber, Resident Manager
Atlanta, GA, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

It all depends on what you're used to. I was very happy to see the place when I pulled up in my rental car one cold, wet, rainy night in the last week of January 2013 after a day's worth of tedious meetings and a long drive from a redeye overseas flight to Frankfurt, where I had arrived that morning. The place really looks good from the outside, the lobby isn't bad either. When I pulled up, however, no one came out, it seems they don't have a doorman. So I went inside, and in a particularly German tone that I detest, the woman behind the counter asked me "What do you want?" (Was wollen Sie?) - not "how can I help you?" but rather, "what do you want?" That kind of sets the tone, while physically the place isn't bad, too many staff people just flat-out have a bad attitude and need some serious attitude adjustment. I guess Germans are used to that sort of attitude, I'm American and I'm not and when I'm paying I expect better.

Here are some pros and cons, indeed many aspects of the hotel were actually pretty good:

1. Looks great from the outside, lobby looks good too, nice bar.

2. Restaurant staff were very accommodating, I needed a table where I could have a business meeting with a client for several hours to spread out documents and talk, they reserved a large, out-of-the-way and quiet table in advance (I called ahead) and that was great. Restaurant staff were very responsive, the food was delicious, the local beer was cold and delicious.

3. The overall quality of the hotel's physical building was much better than I've encountered elsewhere in small German towns - this one is definitely better than a Novotel and the like. Also, I had early meetings the next morning in the neighborhood, and while the hotels in Cologne and Düsseldorf are clearly better, I didn't want to have to get up an hour early to fight my way 75 Km from there through rush hour to get to the region, so net/net this hotel was a good option.

4. The room was large and alright, though dated and dark, nothing special but definitely alright.

5. Room service breakfast came punctually at 6 am as ordered, nothing particularly tasty, but it came and was on time.

However, there are a few things that I really didn't like:

1. Service by the front desk and hotel staff was, to be blunt, nonexistent to outright hostile. They couldn't help me get my luggage out of my room, I had to go find my own cart, load it with boxes of documents, and then shuttle it to the elevator, at which point someone did see me and insist that she ferry my luggage cart to the lobby, with the consequence that I spent 10 minutes waiting for it as boarding an elevator and taking the cart I had loaded down to the lobby for me appeared to be a challenge. Another example, on checkout I asked the woman behind the desk if she could mail an envelope containing documents to the US for me. She responded by asking me how much postage it'd need. I told her, I'm sorry, I'm an American, I have no idea what German postage the package needs. She responded that she was sorry, how could she know that I'm an American, I don't look like an American. Then she fumbled around with colorful post office brochures trying to look up mailing rates. I asked her whether she had a postage meter machine / scale, that's what most hotels seem to have. She responded, well, they do, but then she'd have to go upstairs. I took my package back and mailed it from the next hotel, which got it done in 30 seconds flat. Better yet, when I had pulled my car around to the front, no one helped me with my luggage, no one. It was raining so hard that rain was blowing sideways under the awning in front of the hotel, I stood there in my suit and got a good soaking from the rain while loading my bags and boxes of documents, the hotel ladies just stood there and watched while I got fairly wet. Let me tell you, when I got to my meeting 2 towns over and 20 minutes later in a wet suit, my clients asked me what I had been doing, why I was all disheveled and wet. I explained it to them, Pullman hotel, no doorman, rain, and I had to load my car myself in the rain, etc.

2. Parking is a mess too. They have a parking garage, however the entrance ramp is extremely narrow, so much so that my client with whom I had dinner scratched up his car on the way out. I didn't even attempt to navigate in, I didn't want to risk it, I'm sorry guys, I just don't like driving tiny cars, I prefer large cars, I have a ton of luggage and drive long distances. When I asked about parking outside at checkin, the woman behind the counter told me that the large set of empty spaces in front of the hotel were "reserved" for a tourist tour bus, which of course never came, she just flat-out told me something that turned out not to be true. There was on-street parking, though, and luckily I was neither ticketed nor towed over night and I left pretty early so I guess I got out before the Dortmund parking enforcement squad hit the streets. Virtually all of the hotels I stay in whether in Germany or elsewhere offer valet parking, not offering valet parking and having a narrow access ramp to the garage is just not appropriate.

3. Internet access was barely functional. Instead of being able to charge it to my room as in most hotels, I needed an access code or credit card. My room phone didn't work, so I tried the credit card option first, that didn't work, maybe because the connection was so slow. I called the front desk using my cell phone as the in-room phone didn't work, and so got a code, billing my room EUR 9 for the internet. However, this was so slow that it was very difficult to check e-mails, let alone deal with plane / hotel reservations as relevant web sites simply didn't load. The system did work better at 6 am the next morning, presumably it was simply overloaded in the evening. That being said, most of the hotels I stay in whether in Germany or elsewhere seem to have figured out how to get the internet to work regardless of how many folks are using it, so I guess they were just cutting corners with the cheap options, as with the non-working in-room phone.

Bottom line, if in Germany you're used to staying in Westin, Le Meridien, Hyatt, Dorint, Sofitel and similar hotels that are up to world standards, then you'll immediately notice that this one is something different because in terms of service it's just not up to an international standard, however if you're used to cheap, budget hotels, you'll feel great, it all depends on what you're used to. Also, this likely may be the best hotel on offer within a 50 - 75 Km radius, so your only other option is to stay further away if you want a better hotel, and in the end the extra hour of sleep was more important to me than the better hotel. That being said, given the hostility and unwillingness to help of the front desk staff (and it was more than one of them), in my gut I personally wouldn't feel right staying here again, maybe I can set logistics next time so I can stay in Cologne or Düsseldorf and avoid this joint.

Room Tip: Get one with a window to the street so that ou have some sunlight, I had one looking onto a roof and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
PullmanDortmund, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Pullman Dortmund, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear GeorgiaJoe, thank you very much for taking the time to note down all your experiences made at Pullman Dortmund. Your comments are informative and will help us to work on many small details and attitudes which account to one huge impression of an overnight stay. As you said "It all depends on what you're used to" we unfortunately did not fullfill your expectations, which are affected by 5* hotel chains as Hyatt, Westin and Sofitel- our 5* sister chain. There is definately a gap compared to our 4 * hotel which does not excuse the described attitude. We will definately work on this and if we will get another chance to be your host again- please let us know immediately if anything is missing, there will allways be a manager on duty whos is happy to make you feel comfortable.
My best regards, i.A. Larissa Schlotthauber, Resident Manager

Been to Pullman Dortmund? Share your experiences!