“Great fior the Christmas market” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Novum Business Hotel Unique Dortmund Hauptbahnhof

You added Novum Business Hotel Unique Dortmund Hauptbahnhof to your Saves list
Novum Business Hotel Unique Dortmund Hauptbahnhof
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hoher Wall 38, 44137 Dortmund, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany (Formerly Unique Hotel Dortmund)   |
Ranked #9 of 56 Hotels in Dortmund
London
“Great fior the Christmas market”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Great position with fantastic restaurant adjoining, "the pfefferkorn." Good parking , close to the shops and market. We found it quiet and comfortable. The showers were fantastic and gave a great massage with their high pressure. Staff were fine although they did not make us feel at all special. Foyer decor needs to be seen, it is worth the visit on its pwn. Rooms decorated in what I felt was turkish or north afrian style. Probably needs a revamp to birg the inside in line with the exterior. I would use the hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kiev, Ukraine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The location of the hotel is great - right in front of the walking street with lots of shops and cafés. The lobby is very beautiful and luxurous, the rooms are spacious... but still there's something that made me unwilling to go back there. Maybe it's the WiFi that didn't work properly or just one towel in a room reserved for two... or awful beds and terrible pilllows that caused pain in my neck. It feels like 4 star were given to the hotel because of nice lobby and marble walls.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This most unusual hotel is interesting and has a grand lobby. It is listed as a 4 Star, but lacks several amenites which make it a 3 Star at best. There is no restaurant, no ability to exchange money, a VERY bad bed and odd arrangement of furniture so that watching TV (which we had a problem with) is difficult. There was so much furniture in the room we had, but it was not possible to have a view of TV .It was a disappointing experience and would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife stayed in this hotel for business and our daughter and I joined her over the weekend for three nights. All in all it was a very good experience.

The lobby of this hotel is just something else. Never seen so much marble in a hotel. It was a pretty spectacular sight. The bar area is really nice and the aquariums are just great. My daughter loved looking at the exotic fish, and so did I.

The room was very good as well. We had two large single beds and a baby cot set up and there was still plenty of space to walk around. The bathroom is spacious as well, with two sinks and two mirrors. I loved the beds! I can imagine why people think they're too hard but that's just the way I like them. They reminded me of our beds at home and I slept wonderful every night. There was a busy street outside our room but the isolation of the double glass was very good so we weren't disturbed in our sleep. Rooms were cleaned very well on a daily base. Wi-fi reception in our room was great but several of my wife's colleagues complained about the reception in their rooms. I guess it all depends on where your room is located.

Location is great, just on top of the main shopping street of Dortmund and very close to restaurants and bars. There's also a nice bar in the hotel itself with a daily cocktail Happy Hour every day.

The only reason I didn't give this hotel an excellent is the staff. The staff at the reception desk didn't seem all that interested in their guests and it looked like they were trying to hide behind the desk playing computer games. Questions were hardly answered and there was no 'thank you, you're welcome or can I help you' a single time.

We also had a weird experience at the hotel bar. My wife and I went for a cocktail during Happy Hour and both ordered a cocktail at the same time when the waitress came to take our order. When we wanted to pay she charged us the full amount since the cocktails weren't ordered by one person (even though they were on the same bill). We thought this was really weird and to be honest I've never heard of this before. We were given the option to pay the full price or both have another cocktail for free (even though happy hour was finished). We went for the latter option but still thought the handling of this situation was very weird and not customer-friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I spend there only one night and that was enought. For 38euro a fantastic price, but the room wasnt worth more. Noisy and small with very small bed. It seems the mattress was on the floor. Again, the hotel fulfilled the purpose, but it wasnt a feel well stay.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sofia, Bulgaria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked this hotel for several reasons - the location, the great offer they had for the dates of my visit to Dortmund, the spectacular photos in booking.com and the free wi-fi that they offered everywhere. Indeed, the quality of everything inside is superior and at it stands completely to the level required by the 4 stars.

The huge aquariums in the lobby are inhabited by various and beautiful exotic fish like the ones I have seen only in the Barcelona Aquarium. Everything in the lobby is high quality and looks (and surely is) expensive and luxurious. The rooms are spacious, clean, with nice bathrooms, large LCD TVs, well heated and with quality equipment. Maybe the style is a bit too ornamented for my taste, but I can recognize and appreciate quality. The only thing I would prefer to be different, was the bed, which was too hard for my understanding of comfort, but still was comfortable enough.

The wi-fi signal was strong throughout the floors and the connection was good. At least until the Sunday morning, when the router in my zone was not accepting connections. I mentioned this at the reception, but until the evening nothing had changed, so I complained again and they told me they cannot do anything before Monday (when I was leaving early in the morning), because the technicians are not available during the weekend.

Of course, I still had the option to use it in the lobby or on the sofa near the elevators on my floor, where another router was accessible, but that last evening the internet everywhere in the hotel was a mess - working in bursts of nice speed lasting just several seconds, followed by long periods of delays, packet losses, etc. Of course, this internet was a free service and free services tend to be neglected by their providers, but it doesn't take too much to keep that nice system in good working order - especially if you use it in advertising as a competitive advantage.

Otherwise the location of the hotel is perfect - next to a U-Bahn station, 10 minutes walking from the central train station, where you have a nice bus service to the airport as well, just in the beginning of one of the main shopping streets and 10-15 minutes on foot from the city center (the market and the Rathaus), so if I go to Dortmund again, I will certainly consider it as a preferred option.

Room Tip: Even the rooms overlooking the street are not noisy, if you keep the windows closed. Nice soundproof...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Lucerne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Ok, this place is definitely not like any other I have been before except in the far east in China or Cambodia. But it is fascinating and an experience at a price normal people can affort. I had a superior room booked, but ended up an Suite... I felt like only a harem is missing and I would be in a 1001 nights fairytale. Also i liked the location with an easy walk to the center of Dortmund.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business