“Disgust” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bobotie

Bobotie
Marsilstein 9-13, 50676 Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany (Altstadt-Süd)
221 39760767
Neighborhood: Altstadt-Süd
London, United Kingdom
“Disgust”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

Put simply, they don't seem to understand the product that they are selling. There's no authenticity to the South African experience that one receives! Having gone there with my girlfriend I was hoping for a nice romantic dinner which would be followed by a relaxing glass of wine to top it all off. However this was not the case, having had to make my reservation well in advance the service we received was appalling to say the least. The food we got was rather distasteful and seemed to be old, it lacked the burst of flavour one desires when having a genuine South African meal, especially considering the high price we had paid for it! Having had completed our meal we were rushed to finish and leave as we were only allowed to stay there for two hours, even though there seemed to be free seats around us. In whole, I wouldn't recommend going there and one should check other South African restaurants in the area as I've heard that there are rather delightful and highly recommended ones around.

• Visited November 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

69% Recommend
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Is this a hidden gem?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

Situated tucked down Marslistein just off the Neumarkt. A South African themed restaurant that had been recommended by a local resident and business colleague of a friend. It did not disappoint. Nothing extravagant nor particularly expensive but excellent quality, pleasant helpful service with English spoken [if required!] and a busy bustling atmosphere all evening we were there.

Visited December 2011
basel
“All around lovely experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

They must have learned from earlier comments - our service was excellent. Can only agree with the food and atmosphere comments of other reviewers: highly recommendable.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Miami Beach, Florida
“Loved it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

Finally made it to Bobotie a few weeks ago. The food was great. Nice variety on the menu, cozy atmosphere. Didn't have a bad experience with the service like some people here have said. We'll definitely go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oakland, CA
“Food excellent, Service absoultely terrible!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We were very excited as our hotel recommended the food at Bobotie. We needed an early dinner as we had an early morning flight. When we arrived at 6pm the place was empty. They gave us a table (without reservation) and we were impressed with the decor and atmosphere. We waited quite a while to order(20 minutes before we were approached initially after seating) thinking maybe we were a bit too early and they weren't prepared yet.

We ordered drinks, appetizers and main courses off the menu with no questions. Having traveled all over Europe and South America, we love food and try not to be the typical loud american tourist. Here, it didn't matter. It was obvious from the get go that our waiter did not appreciate our patronage. Which wasn't great but we didn't speak fluent German so we weren't offended, until it became uncomfortable and a tad too obvious. We had to ask several times for more drinks and even that came with sighs and huffs. It was obvious that we were not welcome.

Which was a shame because the food was AMAZING! My husband has the Springbok which was wonderfully prepared and not gamey at all. It was delicious! I had the Kingship and shrimp in a coconut curry sauce which was truly fantastic! We started with the samosas and the biltong. The meat somasas were great, the biltong, which my husband is a fan of normally, was just "ok" in his opinion. Overall, the meal was great.

The service however was so appalling and rude that I was disugusted. I know that it can be tough to wait on a tourist (having done so myself), but I have never in my life been treated as rudely as we were tonight. The waiter did nothing to make us feel welcome from the moment we walked in, yet seemed to great local customers much better. I will say that there was a female server who did not share this negativity and I wish we had sat in her section.

The way we were treated tonight overshadowed the food, which is a shame. The food was truly wonderful.

I would recommend this place to locals. I would not recommend this place for general tourists, especially tourists from the US.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere