“Fantastic food and charming staff...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Vita

La Vita
3 Magnusstrasse, Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany (Altstadt-Nord)
0221 925 7740
Improve this listing
Ranked #797 of 1,797 Restaurants in Cologne
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Altstadt-Nord
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Fantastic food and charming staff...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This place has a beautiful location and with the open doors and windows lets in lots of natural light. The staff are charming and speak several languages to make it even more charming. The food was excellent and there was a good selection of wine available. I have been there twice now with groups of 15 or so and both times they were able to accomodate everyone's tastes.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Warsaw
“Overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I was staying at Pullmann Hotel next door and decided to visit La Vita for dinner. The staff were speaking Italian which was a good sign. A worse sign was that there were customers only at one other table.

I had to ask the waiter to bring the wine list twice, though he did not have any other tables to serve!

Food was very average, not bad but nothing special. I found the prices both for the food and wine pretty steep.

Based on my one visit to La Vita, I can't recommend it. Food is very average, service is a bit sloppy and the prices are high (compared to what you get). The must be better places in Cologne.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts
“Slowest service ever experienced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Was in Cologne for the Christmas markets and didn't know the entire city shut down at 2pm on Christmas eve. Found a couple restaurants open and on the way to one, saw La Vita which looked very welcoming. When we arrived there were perhaps three other tables full, but within 30 minutes the entire place was full.

First impression was very positive, staff friendly and speaking Italian, comfortable seating and good bread. Service was initially very attentive and prompt, in fact our appetizer (calamari) came out perhaps too quickly, a couple minutes after we ordered it. It was actually quite nice, lightly breaded and cooked perfectly. Wine list was very expensive, but did manage to find a decent Valpolicella for about 50 euro which is a bit overpriced.

OK, so far so good, but then came the wait for the main course. My wife ordered a truffle pasta and I ordered a filet. (Keep in mind we were perhaps the second table to place our dinner order) We waited, and waited and waited, a total of an hour and fifteen minutes. The only thing that kept us there was that no one else was getting food either, and besides, no other restaurants were open. After all that wait, my wife got a relatively bland pasta dish and I got an amuse bouche sized portion. OK, not quite that small, but i received about 80 grams of beef, exactly three small brussels sprouts and one fingerling potato cut in half. Interestingly enough, it was actually rather tasty.

What was interesting is that while my wife and I were served, we saw people all around us who hadn't so much as had a waiter refill their water glasses for at least an hour. The couple next to us didn't get their main courses until two hours after being seated and when the plates arrived, they didn't have cutlery and the woman's dish was entirely incorrect, beef instead of pasta.

Finally we decided to order dessert with dessert wine. My wife ordered a port and I a muscat. Ten minutes later the waiter came back and asked what my wife had ordered. Five minutes later he came back and asked "white or red". Now I know technically there are white ports, but I would imagine that when someone orders a port, they mean the red kind, besides they only had one on the menu.

Unless they replace the management, I would not recommend this restaurant.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wales
“Very disappointing after superficial promise”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

What a disappointment! The place looks lovely and the menu interesting but the service was poor, the food satisfactory (if very limited in choice) and the wine very overpriced and poor. Several issues arose during the meal which included having to send back some bottles of wine which had been poorly stored and were undrinkable; the response was to replace them with equally poor wine and, in one instance, slam the newly filled glass onto the table! All in all, this was the poorest meal I had in Germany and one of the most disappointing I have had for a while - and it cost an awful lot considering what we got. Perhaps it was a bad day for the restaurant, but considering every catagory I look for in a restaurant, it failed and did so in style! I'll certainly not return.

Dartmoor
“Huge disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

A group of 16 expecting a very special dining experience were hugely let down at this restaurant. We were told to select one of two meals to order! We were given expensive bottled water whether we wanted it or not and the glasses were topped up very regularly even when we were about to depart! The food was adequate but the meal was spoilt by three bottles of corked expensive wine! The experience did not compare with a much cheaper restaurant nearby where we eat on the previous evening. Cannot recommend.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere