“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hanse-Stube

Hanse-Stube
1 Trankgasse (Hotel Excelsior), Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany (Altstadt-Nord)
0221 270 34 02
Neighborhood: Altstadt-Nord
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Very upscale. Meal was excellent. Service was beyond 5 star. Nice wine list. $$$$$

Visited November 2011

Orange County, CA
“Food excellent, atmosphere stuffy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

Hanse-Stube is high-level dining, with Michelin-starred quality food. A gastronomic delight. The atmosphere of the restaurant is pretty formal though, stuffy and old-school.

I went here for my birthday while on a business trip and had a great meal. Everything was executed with French flair and German precision. I ate from the amuse bouche menu (3 items) which came with pralines and 3 mini-pastries for dessert. All delicious!

Service was pleasant, but very formal. One strange thing that happened: I asked the server to recommend a glass of light red wine and was given a bit to taste by the sommelier (or maybe a manager). I didn't like it so I didn't order any. They seemed incredulous that I didn't like it. Later on during the meal, the sommelier came by the table and emptied the rest of the bottle of the wine I didn't like into my glass. Didn't really understand why. Their English wasn't great, neither was my German, so I didn't bother asking.

Hans-Stube is an excellent option if you want a very formal high-end meal.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maastricht, The Netherlands
“High level!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

Quite a traditional setting. Superb food. The somelier supplied wines fitting the dishes. Very very good for a very good price too. The only minus I had was that there was no background music so the restaurant is very silent.
I recommend this restaurant absolutely!!

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ireland
“Only superlatives!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Nothing but superlatives are appropriate in describing this restaurant which is situated within the Excelsior Hotel Ernst. First to impress is the elegant space followed by the sophisticated ambience - a successful combination of classic furnishings with modern works of art. This is complimented by the warmth of the welcome afforded by the team led by Sonja Winkels and affable chef, Bernhard Stutzer.

My wife and I experienced this restauant on three occasions in the course of a short visit to Cologne - twice for lunch and once for dinner which we had booked in advance on the basis of opinions expressed through Tripadvisor. None disappointed!

The main courses, fish and meat dishes equally, are the outstanding features of this superlative restaurant. The prices may appear to be on the high side but such are the generous helpings that, in fact, they are not expensive. Indeed so generous were the helpings that neither my wife nor I managed to sample the enticing deserts. .

Comparisons are problamatic, but my wife and I are agreed in our opinion that this is probably the best restaurant which we have anywhere experienced. We would hope to return.

• Visited December 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Scotland
“one of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

First class in every respect.
Food perfect.
Wine selected by somelier - excellent.
This is a treat and well worth it, also very good value for what is delivered.
Well worth a visit