“Fantastic no-frills central Koln hideaway!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Arde

You added Hotel Arde to your Saves list
Hotel Arde
Auf der Ruhr 5, 50667 Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany (Altstadt-Nord)   |
Ranked #218 of 281 Hotels in Cologne
Kings Langley, United Kingdom
“Fantastic no-frills central Koln hideaway!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

This place is a great little place hidden in the centre of the city and everything especially the shopping district is within easy walking distance.

Had all the basics just right for a very cheap price, especially as I booked only 6hrs before I arrive from London by car!

Room was clean quiet and comfortable - dated, but I wasn't expecting the Hilton and they didn't sell it as such so exceptions managed perfectly.

Breakfast was typical continental, not to my personal taste, but they had everything you would expect, service was polite and english spoken by all the staff without any question which was a help to me!

My only disappointment was the poor wi-fi service. It was supposed to be hotel-wide and I was charged 5 euros, but the signal wasn't strong enough for my room, so I ended up having to prop up the bar to get a working signal - when I got that it was fine, and when they enquired why I was down here with my laptop and explained, they refunded my 5 euros without me even having to ask so I didn't feel cheated at all. In this day and age wi-fi is an essential in any hotel for me, so this is something that can be easily and cheaply fixed and I would encourage the hotel owners if they read this review to invest in getting this fixed.

But other than that its a perfect place as a stopover (I am on my way to Prague) and for those looking for a cheap no-frills way to see Koln!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
BN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Slap-bang in the middle of town, close to largest shopping areas, great restaurants (and sightseeing), and yet quiet location in a side street. Rooms on the smallish side, but perfectly adequate and clean, breakfast good, but best of all is the personal touch by the friendly staff who seem to be more than happy to give tips as to nearby eateries etc. (Hi Kathi!) I would happily return (and hopefully will next year).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Brussels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

Hotel Arde is very central located: in shopping area, less than 10 min walk from the Dom and Hauptbahnhof.
The (single) room was rather small but good and clean. The breakfast was nice.
Conclusion: a nice hotel for the budget traveller.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

Plus:
- The people were very helpful with the key when we were delayed. Although the hotel was closed already, they left the key somewhere for us. They even gave us a mobile number to call in case there were problems.
- Clean rooms
- Nice (simple) breakfast
- Great location. In the middle of the shopping srea.

Minus:
- Although we hang us a ' do not disturb' sign. They were cleaning the room anyway when we got back from breakfast.
- The reception was never present/open. Not once in 3 days.
- The was no shower gel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Arde? Share your experiences!