“Good Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Station Hostel for Backpackers

Save Saved
You added Station Hostel for Backpackers to your Saves list
Station Hostel for Backpackers
44-48 Marzellenstr, 50668 Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany (Altstadt-Nord)   |
New Delhi, Delhi, India
“Good Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The best part about this hostel is it's location. it's located right behind the Koln cathedral and a ten minute walk for the Rhine. The hostel is quite clean and the staff is helpful and well-informed. The rooms are okay, kind of small, but there was one big issue, was that the hostel provided no table fan, and Cologne was very-very hot when we visited. Sleep was hard to get because of no fan, and we couldn't really open our window and sleep, as there was an Indian restaurant at the back of this hostel, whose light kept falling into the room even very late into the night. Other than that, the hostel is a good value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Great rooms, no bunks. Good storage. Loads of showers and toilets so no queuing. Stayed for one night as a stop over but would definitely of been happy to stay for more.

People were friendly in the bar and they were playing a huge drinking game where everyone was welcome to join. Staff very helpful and when I left my cardigan in the bar by accident it was handed into reception!

Good value for money and a pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This youth hostel has a big advantage : it is just next to the massive Cathedral and next to the station, there is a supermarket nearby.

The staff was quite ok, not really "friendly" but still helpful. The room was for 3 persons, it is quite big and we had a private bathroom for... 30€/night... I'm used to travel in youth hostel and it was by far the most expansive room I've ever slept in.
One other problem was the bathroom, it is a sink, a toilet and a shower in a tiny room, but it was smelling really freaking bad, like the sewer was coming out of the sink.

The beds are ok confortable, but the three little lamps for reading were broken, that was also a pity (yeah I'm a nerd).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I booked a private room with bath but when I went up to the room there were already people in there. I figured mistakes happen so me and my boyfriend hauled our bags back down to the lobby (the lift was broken) and were assigned a different room. The room itself was ok though the sheets were a bit ragged with small holes and the walls were VERY thin. That did not stop our neighbors from yelling at each other well into the night though. The next night, we were trying to fall asleep while listening to this yelling when, at 11:00 at night, two people walk into our room, (which was locked). This was very upsetting and made me feel very unsafe. I was not about to find another hotel in the middle of the night so I stayed and slept very poorly after that. We checked out a day early and I asked for my money back for the night I could not sleep and they only gave me $20 which was less than half of what I paid for it.

So if you want any privacy, or any sleep for that matter, I'd recommend going elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Antwerpen, België
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We had a bachelor party in Köln and we headed over with 12 men to this hostel
First of all the person i had on the phone and mailing was very helpful with all my questions
The location is the best u can get as you're right next the dom and central station

We arrived by car and the guys at the reception helped us through to a parking lot 3 U-Bahn halts away from the Hostel where we payed 2.60 per day

The dorms are very basic with a bed and sheets you have to make your bed yourself
don't expect luxury here but you are in a hostel

What i really liked is the shower the shower was really clean with a huge showerhead

Now the downpart is that the hostel is very noisy.
Also we wanted to stay a night longer with six guys and they wanted to charge us a price more expensive than all our stay even though they ahd enough space in the hostel

In the end would recommend it if your in a group or if you want to meet new people
In case you want a relax stay please look fro something else !

Room Tip: as high as possible
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Rijeka, Croatia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I wouldn't recomend this hostel to any one... We arrived there at 22 h tiered of travelling all day, but when we entered in our room our bed wasn't done so we needed to do it...
Sheets were broken and had holes..bed was too small, room also...
Breakfast is paid by the food you will eat, but is not cheap so I recomend to eat somewhere in the city..
Also the wi fi does not work in the rooms..
Only good thing about this hostel is the position that is werry close to the main station..and the price.
If I would go back in Cologne I would never stay in this hostel again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed in a 5-bed dorm with 4 other friends. Great location! While traveling the city, we could always go back to rest before heading out again.
Wifi only available in lobby and kitchen which was crowded as we were there during Carnival.
Might not be a good choice for solo travelers as lockers were located outside the rooms.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Station Hostel for Backpackers? Share your experiences!