“A decent Spa hotel in centre Cologne” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mauritius Hotel & Therme

You added Mauritius Hotel & Therme to your Saves list
Mauritius Hotel & Therme
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mauritiuskirchplatz 3-11, 50676 Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany (Altstadt-Süd)   |
Ranked #110 of 281 Hotels in Cologne
Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
“A decent Spa hotel in centre Cologne”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Spa and hot pool facilities are excellent. Break first is reasonably cheap and has a decent buffet. Otherwise the restaurant choice is a bit basic. Clean and comfortable, the rooms are a bit on the spartan side. Staff are ok and helpful although a bit on the abrupt side. As we were there for Carnival, it was not best value for money but still ok.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Hanover, Niedersachsen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We visited the hotel for one night as one part of a longer trip and booked it according to the offered spa. The room we had was large and clean with modern interior. Choice at and quality of the breakfast was good. In particular, we really enjoyed the spa (the large number of pools including two for swimming) - it was one of the evenings when entire Germany was fascinated by a football event so we had the spa more or less for ourselves. However, I also had the feeling that the few other guests would like to be naked in the spa at least when leaving one of the numerous saunas. Also the roof terrace is a nice place (at that particular evening nobody used it). Personnel was friendly and assisted in particular with the parking lot. Please consider the offered parking opportunity at a local bank as the parking lot of the hotel (narrow "road" into small first floor parking deck) may be a bit small for middle class cars - however, we managed to get our car out of the parking lot on the next day ;)

Room Tip: Room on first floor was nice (I expected less for the first floor)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

When for a combination since I am only one night in Cologne. The sauna is great and many types which you can choose. Nice pool both indoor and outdoor. Not too many people which is good as you can relax. The room can be better. I think it has past the prime years and can do with some renovation. Given a room on first level which is not the best place to have a sleep. It is along the side road and you can hear people walking and talking. Ask for a room on second level if you decides to stay there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Wien
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I booked that hotel because there was almost no other hotel available for a reasonable price and I stayed only 1 night. When I booked the hotel I didn't really pay attention to the "spa", so when I discovered that there were actually several saunas available I was positively surprised. Anyway, my rating of the hotel is as follows:

Location:
The area where the hotel is located seems to be quiet. I did not have the time to investigate it properly. I saw that there are restaurants and cafés in the neighborhood but don't know if they are any good.

Rooms:
My room was not in the main building. I had to walk around the block and enter through some other entrance. That was not so nice as it was raining heavily when I arrived. The room itself was actually not a room but an apparent with living room, small kitchen, bathroom and badroom. In terms of furnishing it was nothing special, quite tasteless and unimaginative but functional. For my opinion it was not very clean.

Spa:
They have several saunas. I went there quite late so there were not many people there. The saunas were nice. They also have pools next to the saunes. I didn't feel like going in - outside the pool was quite small and packed. Inside the pool was also small and not really a pool but more like a big whirlpool. As the whole area is a nude area I didn't really feel like sitting in a big whirlpool alone, naked with everyone else passing me. So that felt a bit strange. I don't mind the nude thing that some guests I saw have complained about - but the design of the spa area is just not right - it is just not that relaxing. I would not go to that hotel just because of the spa.

Staff/reception:
Very strange attitude. I did not meet anyone working in that hotel who didn't have a "I couldn't care less" attitude. Weather it was the lady at the reception or the women behind the bar in the spa area - they did not make one feel welcome. I don't know what it was - but it did not feel right.

So all in all: I would not book the hotel again if I have the chance to try out something else.

Room Tip: I don't know how the rooms in the main building are - I suspect they are "normal" hote...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The hotel is rather old, and the room was OK but very far from a 4 stars standard. The location is OK without being ideal, a bit far from the old Cologne.

However, the welness/spa centre was amazing, very big with different kinds of pools, saunas, etc... Be careful though: people are usually naked, which is the case in almost all therms/spas that I have experienced in Germany or Netherlands.

All in all, the price value was not great, so I would definitely go for an afternoon at the welness centre, but do not recommend the hotel itself. I haven't kept an incredible memory of it and would rank it no more than 3 stars.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is our second visit here so we knew what to expect. We were at the end of our vacation and flying back home from Cologne. We decided to shelf sightseeing for a couple of days of relaxing at the spa. The hotel is a 15 minute walk from the old town and most major sites. We did a bit of sightseeing but mainly focused on relaxing before coming home. The main draw to this hotel is the spa. They offer a good variety of dry saunas, wet saunas, jacuzzis, warm and cool pools, massages, etc. They have an hourly "aufgasse" schedule (spelling may be off) in the saunas which are a real treat. They are a special session in a high heat sauna followed by salt scrubs, honey rub downs, juices to drink, etc. Each hour is a different treat. Be warned, German saunas are compulsory nude for hygiene reasons. They don't want you sweating your swimsuit full of toxins and then jumping in the pool or jacuzzi. It's all quite natural and not weird or pervy - families, friends, couples, etc.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
milano,italia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I found this hotel really beautiful. The room was spacious and with nice design. Really liked the wooden floor. Nice SPA area, very big with sauna and swimming pool. Would prefer if it would not be for nudists though. Also don't like that they charged for internet in the room. There is a free internet point in the lobby. Central position. Altogether a nice hotel where I would return. It is not cheap but ok for what it offers. Nice staff at the front desk. Breakfast ok but not exceptional.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Mauritius Hotel & Therme? Share your experiences!