“Great Hotel on the Rhine” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Cologne

You added Hyatt Regency Cologne to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Cologne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kennedy-Ufer 2A, 50679 Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #3 of 281 Hotels in Cologne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Great Hotel on the Rhine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Great location with a wonderful view of the Dom. The Hyatt offers first class services all around. I really like being on the other side of the river. It was so nice to come back to the hotel and relax but still be close enough to the action of downtown. The food options didn't disappoint, the breakfast buffet has numerous options, and the beer garden outside is a great place to grab a bite and a beer. I have visited Cologne twice and stayed here both times. Colleagues of mine stayed elsewhere and envied what I had at the Hyatt.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

HyattRegencyKoeln, Geschäftsführer at Hyatt Regency Cologne, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Chris T,

Thank you so much for your great feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are really proud to arrange a perfect stay for you. We are always pleased to give you a great start in the day with our Hyatt breakfast followed by a visit in our beergarden. It is a pleasure to give you the opportunity to relax together with beeing in the middle of the city.

We are really looking forward to your next stay and hope to see you soon.

Robin Saunders

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Turkish first
Lima, Peru
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here yesterday and as a Hyatt diamond member was given a downgrade. Was (what looked like on the registration form) given room 519 but was given 454. This is a lousy room, with old doors and carpet and for sure a lousy view. It was the view of the courtyard being repaired, three shirtless men standing around and later one urinating.
Wait it gets better!
- one of the elevators does not accept hotel keys, interesting for a hotel which requires you to put your key on to get to your floor. A nation which is known for its engineering mind, elevators not working is pathetic!
This hotel is in a sorry state and Hyatt management MUST address this ASAP.
As a diamond member, I was never offered an amenity , another sign of deterioting customer service.
No turn down service was given or offered, another sign of bad management.
I will not be returning back to this hotel in the near future and would highly NOT recommend it. Avoid this hotel at all possible costs!

Stayed June 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

First of all the rooms are around 35 m2 and they are nice and clean. Also well designed. Breakfast is continental and enough alternatives. Staff is good humored..It is not really heart of the city but it is in walking distance

Room Tip: Rooms which looks to the river is the best for sure..
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
HyattRegencyKoeln, Geschäftsführer at Hyatt Regency Cologne, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Anil G,

Thank you very much for your great feedback on TripAdvisor.
It was a true pleasure to welcome you into our house, and to satisfy you with our rooms, breakfast and service.

We are definitely looking forward to another visit. Sending you best regards from Cologne.

Generaldirektor
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 5 nights with my wife. The hotel is beautiful, very clean and welcoming , the staff are very polite and always happy to assist. The rooms are huge but try to avoid having room facing the front as the trains are very loud and they could disturb your sleep. I love the spa in the hotel and the swimming pool. I would definitely stay here when I'm in cologne again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HyattRegencyKoeln, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Cologne, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear HR2013,

Thank you very much for taking the time and giving us your feedback on TripAdvisor. We very much appreciate your comments about our polite and helpful staff and hope that you had a wonderful and relaxing stay in Cologne.

We would be more than happy to welcome you back to Hyatt Regency Cologne in the near future.

Kind regards,

Kraainem, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Cologne on Sunday June 1st, a stop on my drive back by car from Copenhagen to Brussels. This was my first stay in this hotel although I have stayed at several Hyatts over the years and know one can expect the best. This is a vast business hotel with quite impressive glass architecture well located for business purposes next to the Congress center ("Messe") and the Deutz train station, just across the Rhine river from the Cathedral and the Old Town. It was very crowded even on a Sunday but I had never to wait much for any service, very efficient. I did not stay here for business reasons, but because it is within a short walk away along the river from the Theater am Tanzbrunnen where I attended a concert by the mythical German "krautrock" electronic group Tangerine Dream (fabulous!).
I found easy underground parking and was quickly checked in by a smiling and friendly young woman. The room was spacious and comfortable with both shower and bathtub and a big double bed.
I spent some time in the sun in the open air Beergarten, located just along the river with a great view on the Cathedral and Old Town, as well as the impressive Hollenzollern bridge with all the trains crossing to Cologne's main station (one can also cross by foot). It is self service but there was not much wait at the counter, good choice of beers and wines as well as tapas, "flammkuchen", grill food like Wienerschnitzel and desserts including tiramisu and panna cotta. Unfortunately the cosy atmosphere and view are a bit spoiled by ugly metal fences surrounding the terrace. I also found out that I could not charge to the room because I had not been asked to submit a credit card upon check in (I had prepaid the room online), a mistake that I quickly repaired.
I then had dinner at the Glashaus restaurant, located in an impressive glass atrium with the same great view across the river. It has an extensive buffet menu in the afternoon but opens for A la Carte dinner at 6:30 PM. There is a special menu with 4 courses for 58 euros and 28 euros for matching wines. Having my concert at 8:00 PM, I was a bit worried about timing but service was quick and efficient, as well as friendly and attentive, all staff speaking perfect english. I had a Kir royal, and got an amuse-bouche made of frozen goat cheeze, surprizing but delicious. I ordered a course of scallops, couscous, roasted cauliflower, almonds and curry (with a glass of Grauburgunder) followed by a French duck breast with raviolis, herbal cream, celery root and yound wild herbs (with a glass of Spâtburgunder, splendid). Both perfectly done. All in all very enjoyable, a bit on the expensive side (97,70 euros). I skipped dessert given my time limitation and made it to the theater well in time.
I stopped at the lobby bar (Schaelsick) for a night cap on my way back, still very crowded and animated around midnight, but was promptly served by an efficient yound lady without having to wait in line at the counter.
I had breakfast in the same restaurant in the morning, with a good choice buffet and coffee promptly served. Somewhat expensive at 25 euros, considering I only had a croissant, coffee and orange juice...
All in all an excellent address with absolute comfort and good food, but maybe not the most intimate setup if you are in Cologne for a romantic weekend... I recommend staying in the Old Town and having dinner at the two-starred Le Moissonnier...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Pierre_De_Meyts,

Thank you very much for your very detailed review about your stay with us. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and to provide you with our best service. I am very happy that you had the chance to visit all of our dining facilities and enjoyed your time, food and drink there so much. We also appreciate your recommendation about our central location and especially the beautiful view.

We are also delighted to hear that you had a great time at the theatre and we would be more than happy to welcome you back soon during your next visit to Cologne.

Best wishes,

Audubon, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Traveled here on business and was glad we were staying in a Hyatt. Everyone who had stayed there before told me, "Don't bother asking to get in your room early...this is Germany, they are all about rules" and "Don't ask if we can set up the conference room the night before...even if there's no one in there, they will charge for an extra day'...well, nothing was further from the truth! I walked in, tired and ragged from a long travel day and they immediately found a room that was ready for me. I asked if it were possible to set up the conference room Sunday night for Monday morning's meeting...concierge disappeared for about a minute, came back and said, "Yes, no problem and no extra charge." They were courteous, helpful, accommodating. Rooms were spotless, large, comfortable. When my converter wasn't working they brought one to me immediately. Overall it was a very good experience.

Room Tip: Ask for one that faces the river...you'll have an amazing view of the Cathedral.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
HyattRegencyKoeln, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Cologne, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Susan T,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are glad that we could make your stay as comfortable and convenient as possible. Our mission is to provide true hospitality, and to make our guests feel more than welcome. I am very happy that we were able to achieve this for you.

Hopefully you had a very successful meeting and a safe journey home. We would love to welcome you back at Hyatt Regency Cologne the next time you stay in Cologne.

Great Bardfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Good hotel and service. My room was large and spotlessly clean. The location was ok on the 'other' side of the river - however the weather was good and the evenings were light. It may feel different in the winter as the easiest way to get to central Cologne/Dom is to walk across the bridge. The only bad points if I am picky - restaurant is very expensive and the shower control is not thermostatic. Breakfast however is one of the best.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Richard W,

Thank you very much for your positive words on TripAdvisor. We very much appreciate your comments on our clean and spacious rooms, as well as on our Hyatt breakfast. It is great to hear it described as one of the best in Cologne.

We are glad you could enjoy good weather, and had a wonderful visit to the city. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back soon at Hyatt Regency Cologne.

Robin Saunders

Been to Hyatt Regency Cologne? Share your experiences!