My wife, child and I stayed for 5 nights in late November while in town visiting the Christmas markets in Cologne and Bonn. This is a very stylish hotel on the Rhine immediately across the river from old town Cologne. Terrific views of the Dom and the city, no doubt. The hotel is within walking distance of the Messe Deutz train station, but a bit too far from the Main HBF train station if you're toting luggage. There's not much going on near the hotel, so you have to cross over the Rhine to the old town area for food, shopping and sight seeing. It's about a 15 minute walk.
I was impressed by:
- the friendly and efficient staff. Front desk staff spoke excellent English and they were very pleasant and helpful. The same can be said for the concierge on the sixth floor "Regency Club".
- The hotel common areas and the rooms are maintained in a superior manner. Everything was ultra clean. We visited the pool and hot spa area several times and really enjoyed this amenity.
- Our room had a very comfortable bed and a large bathroom with all the features and quality finish out one could hope for in a Hyatt.
I wash not impressed by:
- the selection of TV channels. Granted, we are Americans visiting Germany so I didn't have high hopes for many American TV networks. But I didn't expect we would have zero options. The closest network channels of interest to traveling Americans will be BBC, Sky Network and CNN International. You won't get much American news on these channels. I have to believe a meaningful percentage of the hotels customers come from America, and it would certainly be nice to have a few American network options, e.g., Fox News, CNN, ESPN.
- the absence of dresser storage for clothes. Incredibly, there is no dresser in the room. I actually called the front desk to confirm my understanding. As a result, we piled our clothes on the shelf in the closet and left them in the suitcase. Definitely not convenient. I don't know if I've ever been in a hotel where there wasn't **some** dresser storage available. IMO this is a major oversight.
- the hotel's charge for internet access for those not located on the Regency Club floor. A nightly charge of 18 euros is excessive in this day and age. Many hotels build this amenity into their nightly rate, but not the Hyatt. Given the absence of American network options, internet access seems very important if you want to keep up on events back home.
I'm neutral on the food and drink options on the Regency Club level. On one hand, it was worth the room up charge to gain access to the Regency Club. This club level provides you with a continental breakfast, and finger foods and wine/beer in the evening. It also provides you with a dedicated concierge, unlimited water and soda type beverages, and "free" internet access. On the other hand, we saw no variety in the breakfast and evening finger food options, so the selections became monotonous after a few nights.
So all in all, please understand this is a very nice hotel. It seems more oriented to business travelers than vacationing families. It is maintained in an excellent manner and the staff is top notch. I guess I just expected a bit more for such a highly rated hotel, and the (granted) minor issues I noted above kept me from rating it as excellent overall.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hyatt Regency Cologne is a luxury hotel in Deutz near Cologne trade fair. The 306 luxurious guestrooms and suites of our 5 star superior hotel located directly at the River Rhine offer a beautiful view of the city centre with its famous Cathedral and the Old Town. Additionally, Hyatt Regency Cologne features the Glashaus restaurant offering regional and international cuisine as well as the Schalsick bar and our popular Hyatt Beer Garden. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Hyatt Regency Cologne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Cologne Hotel Cologne
- Hyatt Cologne
- Cologne Hyatt Regency