“Perfect location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eden Hotel Fruh am Dom

You added Eden Hotel Fruh am Dom to your Saves list
Eden Hotel Fruh am Dom
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Sporergasse 1, 50667 Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany (Altstadt-Nord)   |
Ranked #41 of 281 Hotels in Cologne
Thousand Oaks, California
“Perfect location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

The Eden Hotel Fruh am Dom is located just steps away from the Cologne Cathedral, the Romisch-Germanisches Museum, the Ludwig Museum, the Central Train Station, the Rhine waterfront and the main shopping area. Just outside the entrance is the Fruh Restaurant with its outdoor patio, where you can get a meal or a few beers. The hotel itself is housed in two buildings --- A modern building in which the hotel rooms, lobby, bar and restaurant are located, and an older building which contained the breakfast room and other meeting rooms. The newer building is modern and very clean. Our room was very large and we had a wonderful view of the cathedral. The breakfast buffet was very nice and was served in the older portion of the hotel which had a great deal of old world charm. Our triple room rate including breakfast and 5% cultural tax was 165 Euros per night, which was an outstanding rate for the hotel itself and the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the cathedral for wonderful views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Yorkshire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I have just returned after a 6 night stay here whilst attending the DRUPA exhibition in Dusseldorf.

The hotel is in a fantastic location, 5 minutes walk from Cologne HBF and 2 minutes from the very impressive and imposing Cathedral.

Turn left out of the hotel to go shopping or turn right to head to the Old Town and the Rhine, with its wide variety of bars, restaurants and clubs.

The hotel is a warren of a building, but very smart and tidy. I initially recevied a room on the 7th Floor. It was a double very small room, infact I would go as far as to say tiny! It had a 3/4 bed in and marks on all wall where people had tried but failed to "Swing A Cat". The room was unbearably hot aswell, even with window open, radiator off and raining outside.

I asked reception to change me to a larger room as I could not have stayed their for 6 nights. They were exceptionally helpful and moved others around to facilitate this. I ended up in room 403, this appears to be the newer part of the building.

The room was very large, infact massive, with two singles pushed together, a walk in rainfall shower and bath with another shower. It was light and airy with electric shutters and blackout blinds.

The WIFI was free as was the breakfast, but the Mini-Bar is chargable.

I ate in the hotel restaurant just once, HOF18 I think it is called. The food was very good but expensive.

My recommendation would be to eat next door in the Bierhaus Fruh where the beer is wonderful and the food is simply outstanding. It gets very busy on a night, so go early, claim your table and relax.

Would I stay again?? ABSOLUTELY.

I only dropped it one mark as I felt if the hotel had not changed me I would have only being awarding it 1 STAR.

MY TIP IS ALWAYS ASK FOR A TRIPLE NUMBERED ROOM!

Room Tip: Please request a room with triple digits..... This could make or break your stay!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

Here I sit in my room at the Fruh am Dom, and I am happy as a clam. I was somewhat afraid after reading some previous reviews about the internet and cost for breakfast, but I was happy to find out that the internet is included in the room charge, as well as breakfast. I don't know if I got a special rate, but my colleagues traveling with me all have the same deal. I am in the new wing of the hotel (the triple digit rooms) without a view of the cathedral, but that is fine with me, and the rooms look like they were just rebuilt in the past year. Everything is spotless and clean, and the bed is fabulously comfortable. One of my friends has a double digit in the older wing (still pretty new) and has a view of the cathedral and is also happy. The breakfast is excellent in a very pretty room overlooking the cathedral, and the staff is very kind. I would definitely stay here again when I return to Cologne.

Room Tip: If you want a cathedral view, ask for a room in the older wing with double digits. To me, that is no...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Situated in view of the Dom in Cologne, you can spend a good night in very modern rooms with a nice, large shower. And have breakfast with a view on the Dom and the Heinzelmännchen-fountain.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

Reserved a Junior suite for the Xmas market festival which is right across the street. Perfect location. The Junior suite is on the top two floors and has a great view of the DOM and market. This is where the good ends. It is not easy to book a Junior suite and must be done on their website, but via email or phone.

Upon arrival at 2pm. There were two woman at the front desk. They checked us in and said they didn't know if the room was ready yet, the Housekeepers were not answering their phone. They handed me a key and told me to go check. Of course, it was not made up from the night before. When I told the girl at the front desk she told me it would be ready in 1/2 hour. Since she had no communication with the Housekeepers, I knew this was BS.
I told her I would sit in the Lobby and wait. Eventually, she went to find the Housekeepers and did what she should have done in the first place.

Internet in this hotel is robbery. 24Euros for 24 hours. May I suggest going across the street to Starbucks and in some of the rooms facing Starbucks you can get free Internet.

Room was neat and tidy, but dirty. Floors were dirty as if it were a city street.

Breakfast was good. However, the women running it were lazy and basically didn't do their jobs. So if you arrived at a later time to breakfast, you would be without a table setting.
The workers were hiding in a closed doored room, chatting it up. This left some hotel guests scrambling around look for help.

There was also construction going on and the Jackhammer was loud and frequent. There should be some disclosure regarding that.

I would suggest staying at the Dom Hotel/Le Meridien. That is what we will do next time.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

I'm spending my second night at that hotel. The breakfast is really good and you can see the Cologne Dom during you drink your morning juice:). The room is specious, clean - towles were changed, bathroom was cleaned after the first night- and modern, the wifi is for free everywhere. I also got a chocolate Santa Claus for surprise:) one of th biggest Christmas markets is just next to the doorstep, and two others in 5 mins walk. However the room of mine is calm. One of the most famous traditional restaurants- with Früh Kölsch beer- its just at the next door.I would recommend this hotel for every travellers.

• Stayed December 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Stayed for two nights at the beginning of Festival in Cologne. This hotel is in an absolutely perfect location, the Dom can be seen from the front facing rooms. It is only a few steps from the main shopping street. It was extremely busy as it was Festival, but the staff were very polite and most helpful. The rooms are modern and a bit bland. Ours was in the newly renovated part of the hotel and it was a good size and immaculate. Great bathroom with a huge shower and super comfy bed. Breakfast was buffet style with plenty of choice. The only downside was the cost....oh my goodness it is expensive!

Room Tip: Front facing rooms look on to the Dom. Back facing ones, well don't bother opening the curtains.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Eden Hotel Fruh am Dom? Share your experiences!