“Explore the Neighborhood” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Maritim Hotel Koeln

You added Maritim Hotel Koeln to your Saves list
Maritim Hotel Koeln
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Heumarkt 20 | Cologne 1, 50667 Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #76 of 281 Hotels in Cologne
Bloomington, Indiana
“Explore the Neighborhood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

There is nothing particularly striking about this hotel except its central location, five minutes from the bars, restaurants, and cobblestone alleys of Old Town. The shopping district and Cathedral are only ten minutes away. This is a large, full-service hotel that can provide whatever you need -- just not much Old World character.
On a cold, rainy Cologne afternoon, I was one of the few people willing to sit outside a tavern, a few blocks away, and drink a couple Kolsch beers at a patio table. I had been looking forward to the opportunity, and I was not disappointed. The beer was crisp and cold; I was soggy and cold. Chilled to the bone, I was back inside the Maritim in a couple minutes, and decided to try the sauna downstairs to warm up. Perfect! It is very small, but just what the doctor ordered that day. (I was also introduced to local sauna dress codes.) I baked myself back to normal body temperature.
I requested and received a riverfront room, which was wonderful. I could watch barges and tour boats navigate the Rhine day or night. The front desk staff were always helpful. There is a nice cozy bar in an alcove off of the lobby -- great for a nightcap. Food? I did not see any reason to eat at the hotel, given the bounty of neighborhood restaurants.
My real find in the neighborhood I accidentally stumbled upon: one of Twelve Romanesque Churches, constructed hundreds of years ago inside the Roman city walls. I walked out the Maritim’s front door, crossed the street, walked along a side street until I spied a rounded, white, masonry wall. I decided to try to see what it was. Through a courtyard and back out around a residential block, I eventually found the entrance to St. Maria im Kapital, circa. 1100. By myself -- not really knowing what was inside -- I pulled on the huge wooden door . . . and it opened! The interior was deserted and partially in ruins. I almost felt I was discovering it on my own . . . well, I guess I was! There was nobody else around. The sense of antiquity and spirit was palpable. After reading a little information later, I came to understand what I had found; and over the next three days, in spare time away from business, I would seek out the other 11 Romanesque churches – all within walking distance of the Maritim. All looked better kept than St. Maria; some were gorgeous; but St. Maria still sticks in my mind . . . those ancient stones had supported centuries of worship.
Surely there are hotel choices with more Koln character than the Maritim, but the hotel is certainly an acceptable base of operations for adventures in Cologne. Explore the neighborhood!

Room Tip: The river view was an extra treat.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Maritim_Koeln, Sales Assistant at Maritim Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Jim83,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and for staying at our hotel. We are very glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we are already looking forward to welcome you again at the Maritim Hotel Köln.
MARITIM Hotel Köln

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Lovely room, great customer service! Everyone was polite and very helpful. The breakfast was amazing! The location could not be beat! It is close to everything! Everything one would want to see was within easy walking distance. I booked this room as a walk-in to escape the miserable art hotel my sister and I had the misfortune to suffer one night in. The young man on duty at reception was so very courteous and helpful! He seemed to go out of his way to be helpful!

Room Tip: We had a view of the atrium, but they also have Cathedral view rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Maritim_Koeln, Sales Assistant at Maritim Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Deborah D.,

Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel has a great atrium. When I visited it was so hot and like a greenhouse. The business rooms downstairs were cooled but not airconditioned so the temperature was either too hot for some or too cold for others. The bedrooms were properly temperature controlled. The hotel has a number of restaurants in the atrium. The one we hasd breakfast in was very good. The hotel is a walk across the bridge behind the hotel to the Rhine and five to ten minutes stroll to the big selecton of restaurants and microbreweries with their lagers.

Room Tip: Looking out onto the surround may be more interesting. Looking into the atrium may be quieter althou...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Maritim_Koeln, Sales Assistant at Maritim Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Stevie007,
Kind regards
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I spent a few nights here with a colleague on a business trip.

As others have said, it is in a great location - you can walk everywhere you would want to form the hotel. There is also a good selection of bars/restaurants inside the hotel if you really can't face heading out.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms and hotel overall were all clean and well presented.

My areas for improvement would be:
1. door locks - they are card operated but make a really loud buzz when you go to your room which isn't great.

2. wifi - it's really expensive to use the hotel wifi and if you go for the telekom option it is one of the worst wifi experiences you will ever have in your life.

Personally, given the size of the building, I think they could do a little more with the gym, but then it didn't really matter as you are right beside the Rhine so I just went for a run along that instead!

Overall though, a perfectly nice large city centre hotel. I will stay again - in fact I'm back there in a few weeks and didn't feel the need to look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Maritim_Koeln, Sales Assistant at Maritim Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Mike W.,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback and for staying at our hotel. We are very glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your remark concerning the door locks and the Wifi costs. We like to pass your remark on to the management. We are looking forward to welcome you again at the Maritim Hotel Köln.
Pune, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was one of my best experience in life. This is the best luxury can get (At least for me). Fantastic rooms, fantastic hotel, fantastic location and out of this world buffet breakfast. I have never seen a better buffet that this. Champagne for breakfast! Millions of variety of cold cuts, fruits, cheese, breads - think of it and it's there. I will visit again if I get a chance. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Take any and you wait for it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Maritim_Koeln, Sales Assistant at Maritim Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear SoumikChakrabarty,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback and for staying at our hotel. We are very glad to hear that you have enjoyed our breakfast buffet and your stay with us. We are already looking forward to welcome you again at the Maritim Hotel Köln.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Once again we stayed at this hotel, which is not far from the shops and restaurants and places of interest. It is situated right on the Rhine River where is it nice to sit and watch the world go by. The hotel is very clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The bathrooms have recently been refurbished and instead of bath with shower there is a walk in shower with a choice of hand held shower or rain shower and at the touch of a button the lights change to different colours which is really nice. There is a great breakfast to be had each morning with everything you could possibly want and more besides.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Maritim_Koeln, Sales Assistant at Maritim Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear bunny318,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback via TripAdvisor. We are very glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at the Maritim Hotel Cologne so much. We would be delighted to welcome you soon again here in Cologne.
Best Regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located right in the city centre of Cologne. It's location is perfect for shopping, see the historic Cathedral or visiting the Christmas markets in December, all of these activities are within 5 minutes walk of the hotel. We had a great view of the Cathedral from our room. The hotel was very clean and well run with polite and professional staff. It still needs more modernisation work, but when this has been completed this, will be a super hotel. Breakfast was busy but to be fair the hotel was fully booked when we stayed. Loved the piano bar in the evening. All in all this hotel is good value, great staff and its location takes some beating. Once it's been fully modernised it will take some beating. We will be staying here again later in the year.

Stayed December 2012
Maritim_Koeln, Sales Assistant at Maritim Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Dave R.,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback via TripAdvisor. We are very glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at the Maritim Hotel Cologne. We would be delighted to welcome you soon again.
Best Regards
MARITIM Hotel Köln

Been to Maritim Hotel Koeln? Share your experiences!