“Accidental stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maritim Hotel Koeln

You added Maritim Hotel Koeln to your Saves list
Maritim Hotel Koeln
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Heumarkt 20 | Cologne 1, 50667 Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany   |
Ranked #74 of 281 Hotels in Cologne
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Accidental stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

we stayed at this hotel as it was close to the dealers where our motorbike was being repaired.
We turned up in the massive lobbey area with airline pilots in our motorcycle gear and we were quickly booked in despite a small problem with the reservation which had only been made 45 mins before. We were treated very well and the staff were helpful.
We parked our bike in the car park under the hotel but had to pay.
Our room cards and how to operate the lifts was fully explained. The first ride up in the lift was sureal as this place is massive.

We got to our room which was quite large. It was clean and tidy. The beds were big and comfy. There was plenty of space to hang up our gear and the small safe worked.
The bathroom was fantastic.the shower had mood lighting digital adjustable tempreature and you could change from a normal shower to top drench head at the touch of a button as well as adjusting the water flow..

The hotel is right in the center of town everywhere was within easy walking distance and koln has some good places to eat and drink.

The breakfast was excellent with all sorts of choices with good freindly staff but then again it did cost 17 euros each.

Summing up this is a top class hotel with prices to match. I am sure that you could stay cheaper in Koln but if you want luxury and want to stay somewhere a little special in the center of town then this is the place. Just remember you have to pay for the good stuff.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Turkish first
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at the Maritim for 5 nights whilst working at an exhibition at Koelnemesse. The room was clean and comfortable - only gripe was that you don't get a kettle and tea and coffee as in the UK - really miss this touch when travelling abroad. Also, some colleagues had a bath which would have been lovely to soak after a long day on your feet - but the shower was impressive with 'mood lights'. Very centrally located for restaurants and bars and would definately stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The Maritim is located in the Rhine in the heart of Cologne near the Dom Cathedral. The staff all speaks fluent english and after staying here for years, they are the friendliest people of any hotel that I have ever stayed with. The rooms are old and dated, the TV is small and has only one english channel, but why would you come here to watch TV. You are in a great location in the heart of Cologne. Many restaurants and bars within a 30 second walk. The city train is across the street. The Rhine is right behind the hotel, you can catch a boat there for a day cruise. In the winter they have a ice skating rink set up across the street with vendors selling everything.

Room Tip: I have stayed all over this hotel. Any room is fine.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Leigh-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

You get exactly what you would expect from a Maritim hotel. The location is great, although a good 10/15 minute walk from the Hautbahnhof. Check-in is excellent - if they see a queue forming they open more desks up. Willing and cheerful staff. The rooms are clean - the singles a bit small but comfortable enough. The air conditioning was very welcome. Didn't try breakfast so cannot comment. Made the mistake of not bringing swimwear with me as the pool is good.

Essen, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I was staying there for one night. You expect for that money more!
I was busy and entered the business center 6am. There is only one computer! 7:30 a lady came and told me, that reception send her to print here air ticket. I wanted to be polite - even with editorial deadline at 8 am.
ok. mistake. Monitor turned to black and the lady went out!
Breakfast-average. Room-average. Reception-average. The Hotel layout is strange. You feel that you are in a shopping centre.
Don't be shocked when you walk a night time out - Cologne can be very, very special on a hot evening!

Room Tip: I guess they have nice room facing river rhine. Ask for it.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights while on a business trip.

The location is fantastic, just cross the street and you have access to the tram/tube service and are basically standing in the center of Cologne with lots of restaurants and shops. River Rhine as well as the famous cathedral are only a couple minutes away and you can easily walk there.

The hotel itself is very big and airy with a glass roof and the front as well as the back of the building are made of glass as well. It holds several shops, a hairdresser/beauty salon, restaurants etc. And the staff is very friendly and helpful, They even upgraded my room to a non smoker room of higher value than the smoker's room I originally got when checking in ( I don't smoke and can't stand the smell of it either).

The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean and for breakfast there was plenty of food to choose from.

However, there were a few downsides as well that disappointed me a lot. First the breakfast. I can't deny that there was plenty to choose from. However, on several occasions it was not as perfect as it should have been for a hotel in this category. What I came across during my 6 nights stay:

- the milk was sour
- water for tea was cold instead of hot
- fruit salad tasted of alcohol
- boiled eggs were almost liquid and it was almost impossible to peel off the egg shell
- Latte Macchiato was way too strong (I asked for a weaker one and was told they come in one way only but in the end i got a "normal" one anyway)
- Out of 6 mornings I was asked only twice if I would like to have a hot drink.

Last but not least it took me about 5 days to figure out what I could eat without getting stomach pains minutes after having breakfast. In the end I sticked to cake and pastries which I expect to come from an external bakery.

The second point I was unhappy about was the internet which is not automatically included but has to be paid for extra. The costs were 8 € for an hour or 15 € for 24 hours which is very expensive. Also the connection was horrible. Loading pages took ages, having a Skype session was impossible and the connection usually died after about 30-45 minutes. I never managed to get it back without having to reboot my laptop. Especially when you need the internet for business purposes all this is unacceptable.

As for the key card you will get for your room I was told not to keep it close to my phone or to other cards as this will delete all the information from your key card. I had to get new key cards several times because I couldn't get into my room and/or use the elevators anymore.

I have stayed in hotels that use key cards a "million" times and this has never happened to me before but here I was told not to keep my key card in my wallet because of that. O.O Where am I supposed to keep it instead then, if not in my wallet ?

I am sorry to give such a bad review because the hotel itself really looked fantastic and the staff at reception was friendly and hepful but if your stomach denies the breakfast, the internet is crap and you have to get new key cards all the time, there is simply no point in writing a better review.

Berlin, Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I lived there in for 3 nights. A prime Location in city . inside look like a shopping mall. Very Good Price. The Reception was always busy. Many Conferences. The breakfast is normal

Room Tip: Room in the River is cool
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Maritim Hotel Koeln? Share your experiences!