I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights while on a business trip.
The location is fantastic, just cross the street and you have access to the tram/tube service and are basically standing in the center of Cologne with lots of restaurants and shops. River Rhine as well as the famous cathedral are only a couple minutes away and you can easily walk there.
The hotel itself is very big and airy with a glass roof and the front as well as the back of the building are made of glass as well. It holds several shops, a hairdresser/beauty salon, restaurants etc. And the staff is very friendly and helpful, They even upgraded my room to a non smoker room of higher value than the smoker's room I originally got when checking in ( I don't smoke and can't stand the smell of it either).
The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean and for breakfast there was plenty of food to choose from.
However, there were a few downsides as well that disappointed me a lot. First the breakfast. I can't deny that there was plenty to choose from. However, on several occasions it was not as perfect as it should have been for a hotel in this category. What I came across during my 6 nights stay:
- the milk was sour
- water for tea was cold instead of hot
- fruit salad tasted of alcohol
- boiled eggs were almost liquid and it was almost impossible to peel off the egg shell
- Latte Macchiato was way too strong (I asked for a weaker one and was told they come in one way only but in the end i got a "normal" one anyway)
- Out of 6 mornings I was asked only twice if I would like to have a hot drink.
Last but not least it took me about 5 days to figure out what I could eat without getting stomach pains minutes after having breakfast. In the end I sticked to cake and pastries which I expect to come from an external bakery.
The second point I was unhappy about was the internet which is not automatically included but has to be paid for extra. The costs were 8 € for an hour or 15 € for 24 hours which is very expensive. Also the connection was horrible. Loading pages took ages, having a Skype session was impossible and the connection usually died after about 30-45 minutes. I never managed to get it back without having to reboot my laptop. Especially when you need the internet for business purposes all this is unacceptable.
As for the key card you will get for your room I was told not to keep it close to my phone or to other cards as this will delete all the information from your key card. I had to get new key cards several times because I couldn't get into my room and/or use the elevators anymore.
I have stayed in hotels that use key cards a "million" times and this has never happened to me before but here I was told not to keep my key card in my wallet because of that. O.O Where am I supposed to keep it instead then, if not in my wallet ?
I am sorry to give such a bad review because the hotel itself really looked fantastic and the staff at reception was friendly and hepful but if your stomach denies the breakfast, the internet is crap and you have to get new key cards all the time, there is simply no point in writing a better review.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Hotel Cologne
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Otel and Venere so you can book your Maritim Hotel Koeln reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.