“German hotel, Swiss prices, unrealistic pricing model” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Cologne

You added Hilton Cologne to your Saves list
Hilton Cologne
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Marzellenstrasse 13-17, 50668 Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany   |
Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #18 of 281 Hotels in Cologne
“German hotel, Swiss prices, unrealistic pricing model”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I can't fault the hotel in terms of its location or facilities but then it is one of the more expensive ones in Cologne. No complaints on that front. However, my biggest concern and the reason why I would not return are the rip off prices charged, in particular the €27 fee for breakfast and the €20 per day for wifi.
Breakfast - quality may be reasonable but I don't pay that for a std hotel breakfast in Zurich which is one of the most expensive cities I pay in.
Wifi - the charge is ridiculous especially where this hotel classes itself for business use. I was able to claim expenses but I refuse to bill that charge to my company as it is completely disproportionate. Honestly, even airports offer free wifi. The laughable excuse is that there is free wifi in the bar area. Obviously to get you to buy an overpriced drink, but, the free version is so throttled back its unusable for anything more than email.
So, despite the quality of the rooms and hotel, I would not return.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hilton_Cologne, Guest Relations Supervisor at Hilton Cologne, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear PKnowles,

for your Feedback and your open words we would like to say thank you.

That you have enjoyed our location is nice to read.

Unfortunately we need to read that you haven't been happy with the rest of your stay.
For all inconveniences we would like to apologize most sincerely.

In case that we don not explained to you that you can use the free WIFI as well in the Lobby area withour ordering a coffee or anythng else.is not excepable.
Furthermore we should let you know that you could also buy a Voucher for breakfast for 20,00 € instead of 27,00 € at the reception during the check in.is not acceptable.

Please excuse all the issues which happened to you.

We really much hope that you give us the chance to present you our excellent service.

Guest Relations Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Korean first
Keighley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here recently for business.
Likes: Nice central location - near train station and shops, friendly, helpful staff and good breakfasts apart from the toaster.
Dislikes: Room near lift - floor area around lift un-carpeted, meaning it was noisy. Bath plug broken, shower strength pitiful, room temperature uncontrollable - cold during day & strangely warm at night, decor very stark, bottles of water 5.95 euros, not enough wardrobe space for a stay of four nights and poor menu choices in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the lift areas - lot of noise from feet and people talking, not to mention staff tr...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hilton_Cologne, Guest Relations Supervisor at Hilton Cologne, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear 22jaycross22,

We really appreciate your appraisal about your stay in our Hilton Cologne.

First of all I would like to apologize for all inconveniences which happened to you during your residence.

We always try our best to assign rooms away from the elevator, but it always depends on the availability. For the next time, you can use the request button while you are making the reservation and make a note with all important requests.

The broken plug and the not strong water pressure as well as the uncontrollable air condition do not meet our standards to which we aspire.

Regarding the menu and the wardrobe I will keep our management informed.

Gladly we want to thank you for the positive comment about our location and the great staff.

Dear 22jaycross22, despite the experiences during your last stay we hope to welcome you again on future visits.

Barcelona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The room was nice, with Satellite TV, and spacious. Very wide offer of food at breakfast and next to the Cathedral and the railway station.
I think, though, that some services should be free such as WiFi and printing a couple of pages at the Business Centre, but they are not. I also had problems with the heating system, but it was my fault.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hilton_Cologne, Guest Relations Supervisor at Hilton Cologne, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear dabittr,

We thank you for your friendly review and that you have taken the time to let us have your impressions.

We enjoyed reading your positive comments regarding our location, our rooms and the food. Thank you!

I am very sorry that we did not offer you our free internet in our Lobby Bar. The next time you can ask our colleagues for the access code to have the possibility of using the complimentary internet in the Lobby Bar.

As well I apologize for the feeling that it was your fault not getting the heating system working. It is of course not our intention to give our guests this kind of feeling.

We would be more than happy of welcoming you back in the meantime and if you have any questions please feel free to contact us anytime.

Zielona Gora, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed in Hilton Cologne during IMM 2013. Booked standard room and got tiny room that looked more like single room. Reception confirmed that it is standard room and won’t change it.
It seems that they started remodeling cause every morning et 8am we heard construction workers at work. Cleanning lady came first at 4pm to clean our room. Not even bottle of water was complimentry!
Breakfast Ok but nothing to write home about it. Very unfriendly lady cook
Overall I am not planning to stay there again and for the next Fair in May I 've choosen different hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear MaxfryMaxfry,

Thank you very much for your Feedback concerning your stay in our Hilton Cologne.

Unfortunately I realized that you were not satisfied with your stay.

I am very sorry to read that your room was not cleaned until 4 pm and that you woke up due to some constructions.

I also apologize for the unfriendly person in the cooking station. I will forward it to the responsible departments in order to avoid better service.

Regarding the complimentary water I am delighted to inform you that we also provide it in our Suites and Deluxe rooms.

We would be more than happy, if you give us the chance to show you a much better service and welcome you back in the future.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

enjoyed the stay at the Hilton , the room , service and facilities were perfect , and it probably has one of the best fitness centers i have used in a hotel so far.
the only down side was the additional costs ie : access to the wireless network for 24 hours was 20 euros.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hilton_Cologne, Guest Relations Supervisor at Hilton Cologne, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear DomFromTheDam,

For your kind comment on Tripadvisor I would like to thank you very much.

As I can read you had been very happy with your time in our Hilton Cologne. Your fantastic feedback regarding our Fitness centre is absolutely welcome. That you also enjoyed our service and the room is great.

Concerning the wifi I would like to inform you that we offer free internet connection in our Lobby Caffé & Bar. I am very sorry that we did not inform you during your stay.

Dear DomFromTheDam, we will be very much looking forward of welcoming you back in the future.

Lelystad, Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night passing trough. Everything you should expect from à Hilton. Pleasant staff at check-in. Very nice rooms, small but clean and modern bathroom, good beds. We booked two rooms, my husband is HH Gold so you get free Wifi, but only in one room. That is dissapointing.
Easy access to underground car parking.
Very close the Domkirche and all the restaurants, shops and Brauhauses.
Most amazing feature? Finally, finally à hotel that does not turn up the heat everywhere. Pleasant temperatures all around.
Will most certainly return whenever in Cologne.

• Stayed March 2013
Hilton_Cologne, Guest Relations Supervisor at Hilton Cologne, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Lilylady50,

Wirth great pleasure I read that you were totally satisfied with your stay and we thank you and your husband for your loyalty to our Hilton Hotels.

We are happy that you enjoyed your room and the easy access to the car parking.

I will keep my colleagues informed about your great comment concerning our Front Desk Staff. Thank you!

Furthermore it is really nice you were happy regarding the temperature in the hotel.

We are always looking forward of welcoming you back in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Mediocre overall. Disappointing service with cold woman checking me in upon arrival. Room was dark and figured out next day a bulb was out. Told front desk at check out. Good location near the train station which was convenient. Bar staff was pleasant..

• Stayed February 2013
Dear FamTravChp,

we would like to thank you for your review.

Due to your not satisfied stay I apologize most sincerely for the bad experience.

The points you have described do not meet our service and I feel deeply sorry for that.

I also would like to thank you for your positive feedback regarding our location and the Bar Staff.
I will forward it to the responsible departments.

We hope to welcome you again to our Hilton Cologne.

Guest Relations Supervisor

Been to Hilton Cologne? Share your experiences!