“Restaurant gets busy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Hotel Severinshof Koeln City

Save Saved
You added Mercure Hotel Severinshof Koeln City to your Saves list
Mercure Hotel Severinshof Koeln City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Severinstrasse 199, 50676 Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany   |
Special Offer
Frühbucher zahlen weniger
Ranked #47 of 282 hotels in Cologne
Leeds
“Restaurant gets busy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I have stayed here frequently and always been satisfied as the location and price suite me. However this time I was badly disappointed. I met with a group of 6 of my customers in the bar at 7.30pm and seeing that the restaurant was not too busy, we decided to eat there a little later. At 8.30 we requested a table for 7. The restaurant was half full (we counted no more than 30 diners) but we were told we would have to wait for a while for them to arrange a table and that we would not be served until 9.30 because they were too busy. To put it mildly we were a little surprised to be treated like this by a hotel that claims to cater for business travelers and is located in a town where there is a major trade show complex. So I had to go find somewhere else to eat with 7 tired colleagues and customers.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

646 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Always a great welcome with friendly staff. Clean and comfortable rooms, recently refurbished, although floor 2 rooms are considerably better than floor 1. Rooms at front do tend to be noisy due to subway works and early morning trains.
Breakfast is plentiful and full of choices.
I stay here every other week and found it to be great value and convenient.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this Mercure in Cologne in late July 2011 to see a family member get married. The first thing we noticed on arrival was the tram works which completely obstructed the vehicle entrance, though this is out of the hands of the hotel since the works are affecting much of the city. After checking in, we had a room facing the road works, and noticed the air con was not working well at all - the room was noticeably warm and stuffy, and no matter what we did, it did not help vent the stuffy, warm air out of the room, and we couldn't open the windows. The room was also quite small, especially as other Mercure's we've stayed in have been much larger. The ensuite was good though, with good water pressure and a smart appearance.

Pros
Good location - 20 mins to the cathedral (15 if walking briskly) and very close to a train station.

Cons
No free internet and only one computer with internet in the lobby that no doubt someone was continually hogging
Ineffective air-con
Sleep quality was not up to standard in my opinion

I should point out that we managed to obtain this room at half price (about €35 per night) but I would be irked no end to be paying the standard fare of (from) €65 per night.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Düsseldorf
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

... the hotel itself is not bad but is surrounded by the huge Cologne Metro civil works.
Unfortunately we got a room with the window towards the street. To open the window and get some fresh air was not an option because of the 24h traffic. And the aircon air was not really fresh.

Somebody had left a big amount of opened chocolate bars in the safe (!) and of some reason there were some leather equipment for bonding games under the bed. Obviously the housemaid has some problem with her back. And there was a smell of knocking shop filling the air.

Generally we got the impression that the room was rather shopworn.

The booking was made over internet and of some reason the staff in the reception could not handle the invoicing so they let us leave the hotel in the belief that the night was paid over voucher/credit card. One hour later I was called on my mobile and they let me understand that I had left the hotel without paying the bill. Strange.

Afterwards I could see that it was my fault, I have never booked a hotel getting a voucher before; but I think it should have been the person behind the reception desk who should have turned my attention to this. At least I offered my willingness to pay at any moment.

Room Tip: Don't book a room to the street!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Compared to other Mercure hotels in Germany, this one is below average (I spent just one night here but this was enough).
The room was on average size, clean and recently renovated / refurbished. I found the hotel interior a little bit too dark (and all this energy saving light bulbs will not help, it looked somehow cheep).
Rooms facing the street were construction work is going on during the day could be very noisy from this and the traffic!
The car parking of the hotel (!) surprisingly is public, means that no parking lot is guaranteed if you are a guest of this hotel (and for security reasons... the parking lots are easily accesible from outside).
The hotel staff was constantly complaining - the weather, the new software they have to use, their ability (...) to handle the printer, to have such a hard job... and everything else. It must be really hard just to smile and hand over the room key to the guest... Especially when a guest is asking for something, like how to walk to the shopping area nearby... instead of just handing out a city map or scribble down the shortest way to that area, the lady at reception desk was complaining about that she is not from Cologne and that her stressy job doesn't allow much time to go shopping. Totally annoying. As a guest, I really don't want to be bothered with such staff's attitude! Other guests I met at the elevator told me that they made the same experience, and nit just once.
I didn't opt for the (completely overpriced) breakfast - I could not stand the possibility of another staff complaining about the early morning or the need to serve coffee...
I really cannot recommend staying there. I give a 3-points-rating just for the cleanliness and appearance of the room (not something always to expect in Cologne). As another reviewer wrote, the streets around this hotel are really not nice at all (construction work, ugly buildings, lot of traffic). The hotel is centrally located and clean, but that's all.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Araraquara, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

There a railway just in front, so nice transportation. It is very near the city center and the Dom. Very spacious, confortable bed and beautyful bathroom. near the river..

Room Tip: nothing to declare
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

we booked this hotel as it was close to the central station. The rooms are clean , spacious and in good condition. the breakfast in the hotel is excellent. The staff however is not very helpfull and one of the staff even gave us wrong directions to the chocholate museum . the room service though is bad, they do not service your room even after repeated reminders. However the rooms are comfortable and its a good value for money. The shopping area and the dom can easily be reached by foot . i would recommend this hotel if you want good value for money and are looking to stay closer to the station . the bus stop and taxi stand is in front of the hotel which makes commuting very easy.

Room Tip: the rooms are very comfortable and the rates are very good .
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Mercure Hotel Severinshof Koeln City? Share your experiences!