“Tiny room at a big price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Classic Hotel Harmonie

You added Classic Hotel Harmonie to your Saves list
Classic Hotel Harmonie
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ursulaplatz 13-19, 50668 Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany (Altstadt-Nord)   |
Ranked #108 of 281 Hotels in Cologne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Tiny room at a big price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

This hotel is located in a quiet backwater but in easy reach of the Train Station and The Cathedral. The lobby is bright and the public rooms are attractively furnished. The reception staff are very welcoming. When I checked-in the lift wasn't working and one of the receptionists offered to carry my case upstairs. Although the room was only on the first floor, I am an old gent so I accepted. I was shown into a room the size of a shoebox with a bathroom to match. The furnishings were absolutely basic. Although the shower was hot and strong there was no soap dish nor grab rail. Fortunately the washbasin was right up against the shower so I was able to hold onto it to step up to or down from the shower. While the maids were at work in the morning I stuck my nose in other rooms and reckon I had been given the worst room in the hotel. The room next to mine was also a single but was large enough to have a wardrobe. Mine had just open shelves and a couple of hooks. Including breakfast this room cost a total of 418 euros for a four night stay. The breakfast was quite good - a buffet with plenty of choices of cold meats, cheeses fruit etc. On my first morning there was a hot dish - it was labelled scrambled egg but it was more like a chopped up omelette. The chef clearly didn't know how to cook scrambled egg and for the following mornings during my stay there were only cold dishes on offer.

Room Tip: I found rooms, both double and single, come in a variety of shapes and sizes. I was advised by the r...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bitburg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

This hotel could have been a great hotel. The main issue was a huge black spot of mold over the entire shower. It was so bad that we didn't shower for the night and figured we would do so when we got home the next day. The parking was also terrible for that area. Other than that the breakfast was nice, the rooms were pretty decent, and the service was great.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Koln
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

I have just arrived to the hotel. I prepaid the room two months ago. Now they tell me that there is not a room available because they overbooked it. I am calling the police. When I ask for the claiming book they say they do not have...

Please never again. Do not allow people like this to run a hotel

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

The hotel is a good 3* hotel, fairly cheap compared to other 3* hotels located near the cathedral

The +
- The hotel is fairly well located (about 5 min walk from main train station and cathedral)
- very clean
- it seems to have been refurbished recently so everything looks fairly new

The -
- sound isolation is not great as you can hear people talking in the corridor
- I found the room a bit small. I might be used to 4* hotels ...
- I did not like the shower door as it let water splash out while i was taking my shower
- I usually got to breakfast at 10.30 - 10.45 (breakfast closing at 11 am on WE) and no croissant or eggs were available anymore. Of course there were still plenty of choice available.
- no bulleye on the door so you cannot see who is outside.

So, if you are not picky in terms of services, the hotel is very good and very clean.
If you are picky about room size, amount of breakfast, you might want to try another one.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cotswolds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

A warm and friendly welcome awaited us, very comfortable and nothing was too much trouble for the polite and knowledgeable staff. They guided us to the best night market and made us feel totally at home. A few minutes walk from the enchanting Dom (cathedral) - perfect location, lovely breakfast (as you would expect in Germany) - This one has our seal of approval

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Wonderful hotel, nice and quest location about 5 minutes walk from the train station. Very comfortable beds. Incredible breakfast. Friendly and helpful staff. It's possible to check-in early. I would highly recommend this hotel to my friends and will stay there again next time I am in Koln.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Booked a single standard room here for 7 nights for a trade show. Cost us more than 250 Eur during the show.
The room is incredibly small (the size of my bathroom in other hotels I've stayed) but very clean. They do not top up toiletries so it's a little annoying.
My room faces the St Ursula church which is also where the street is so I can hear every car that goes by and the street chatter. Also during the weekend, church bells go off for almost an entire hour at 7-8am.
Simple but nice breakfast. Friendly and warm service staff in the restaurant.
Wish I can say the same for the front desk. Sent my pants out for dry cleaning and didn't get them back till 4 days later. There was no sense of urgency despite my daily checking-in with them. Was not at all apologetic as well.
Wifi is free - log-ins are on a per day per device basis. Seems to log off automatically after a few hours so quite a nuisance.

Stayed October 2013

Been to Classic Hotel Harmonie? Share your experiences!