“Not all Holiday Inns are the same ......” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Leonardo Hotel Cologne Bonn Airport

You added Leonardo Hotel Cologne Bonn Airport to your Saves list
Leonardo Hotel Cologne Bonn Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Waldstrasse 255, 51147 Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Ranked #141 of 281 Hotels in Cologne
Basel
“Not all Holiday Inns are the same ......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed here one night on a business trip:

Positives:
Location close to the airport
Friendly Staff
Bar food and service
Good pillows

Negatives:
Room very dowdy in drab tones really needs renovation and lighter colour scheme.
Internet - via cable only AND charged ! No good for smartphones / iPad etc.

Compared to the Holiday Inn in Prague (also reviewed) a whole world of difference
Sorry to say - this was really average

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Bedfordshire, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

First thing to say is that this is a standard Holiday Inn, nothing exceptional, except for the very good shuttle to the airport which is a few minutes away.

Now the downside. These people are committing highway robbery when it comes to Internet charges. Now think about it. Who goes to the Holiday Inn at Cologne airport? Not exactly the tourist centre of the world is it? No of course the answer is quite simple. Businessman.

Now what does every businessman virtually always need to do when they get to a hotel? You've got it, log onto the Internet to get e-mails etc. What is Holiday Inn’s reaction to this?

Exploitation.

They want to charge €17 for 24 hours use, but of course we only use it for half an hour in the morning whilst rushing out to our next meeting, and maybe an hour or so in the evening if we're so lucky. Quite a lot of money for just that uses the isn't it.

But hold on, the con gets even worse.

Going down to the lobby so that I could pick up my e-mail on my iPhone over breakfast, I asked how I logged into my €17 service, and guess what? You've got it. The fee does not extend to giving me coverage in the reception and dining area! No these people actually make extra charge of €9. So they want €26 per day just for a few hours Internet access which most of us would be able to utilise.

Stay there for a week, and you've got yourself enough money to go out and buy a pretty damn good Wireless Access Point, or buy a fair of leased line time. Even when I paid the €17 the damn service didn't work, and they had to deliver to my room a piece of paper with some passwords to get me online. The service is run for them by a company called Swisscom but they should be called SwissCON.

So IHG stop exploiting your customers in this way. I am a member of the Fairmont President Club, one of the nice advantages of which is free Internet service. I stayed at the IHG Crowne Plaza in Cambridge the week before, and gave free Internet access in the lobby to Priority Club Members. I have just reached the Platinum Level of that club, and asked when I checked in, what benefits that gave me. The answer? A complimentary drink! Yabber Dabber Doo. Way to go Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Use 3G, or get your e-mail before you arrive at this place, as otherwise they will cripple you with...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Cologne Bonn Airport, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear notalamb,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. Please accept my apologies for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide internet options that are competitive in the area. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Regards,

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Irvine, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

This for sure was one of the more mediocre HI hotels I have stayed in. Receptionist was not too friendly, rooms are a bit old and there's no wifi in the rooms (only groundfloor and payable).
The restaurant was not bad and the hotel offers free shuttle service every 15 min to the airport which is only 5 min away.
All in all an average experience, convenient so close to the airport, otherwise not recommendable.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in terms of service. I checked in, they gave me a filthy room ( not cleaned after someone's stay), I asked to clean it and went to the city. When I came back the picture was the same. I asked for another room and they forgot to clean it next day.

• Stayed September 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Cologne Bonn Airport, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear YuliaMashnich,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
東京
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Usually punctual shuttle bus service but some exception and it give the travellor a frustration when one is tired. Shuttle bus call buttons are located only at a couple of point in vast airport thus better to check the location in advance. Rooms are well equipped and reasonably large. Most outstanding point is its main dining room. Most tastty food amongst Holiday Inn in Germany and it is worth to visit and not necessary to take the trouble to go to the restaurant in the town.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Neuchatel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

TOP:
- in a few seconds you are at the airport
- free shuttel bus
- breakfast buffet with big choice and fresh foods
- bed and choice of pillows
- spacious room
- quick reception service

flop:
- old and small TV
- fittings in the bathroom

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Clean rooms, friendly staff, decent breakfast: no complaints, really. Quiet, despite being right near the runway. Very nice meeting rooms, too. Wireless only in the lobby, but the wired connection in the room worked very well--fast connection. I do have one question: why is the shower head mounted on the side wall of the shower, pointed toward the shower curtain and the rest of the bathroom, rather then mounted on the end wall pointing into the tub? Big potential for a mess, or worse.

Also, make sure that you look for the shuttle phone in the terminal, hidden behind the information kiosk. Shuttle takes about 5 minutes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Leonardo Hotel Cologne Bonn Airport? Share your experiences!