“What a rip off” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Domappartement

Domappartement
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cologne
Domappartement
You added Domappartement to your Saves list
Domstrasse 27-29, 50668 Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany (Altstadt-Nord)   |
Ranked #24 of 58 Specialty Lodging in Cologne
Johannesburg, South Africa
“What a rip off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Dom apartments are truly not what they are supposed to be
If you look at the web site and see the pictures and then see what you actually get
I wouldn't waste my time
First of all the office is no where near the apartments and you get there and they give your key and a map and you must make your own way there
On would think they would arrange with a taxi to take you as you have all your luggage as well
Then you arrive at the apartment exhausted
Well what a dump wasn't ready ,we asked for an extra bed it never arrived
It had a fridge but no kitchen sink ,
It was sparsely furnished
Definitely not a "furnished apartment"
We wanted a family apartment as we are here for the Anuga food fair and so didn't have to spend a lot of time there but didn't want a hotel
WELL DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Very good apartment. Check in / key collection from another location, but it was just five minutes away and easy to find. Friendly check in. Well appointed place, perfectly safe. Clean beds, hot water. Only let down was the wifi which basically didn't work, which was frustrating as this was a business trip. Will use again though.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

The apartment is horrendous. I would not stay here again if you paid me. The lights flicker, or those that work do, it's dirty and the overall standard of finish is poor. The parking was costly considering it was not secure and essentially on a building site a long walk from the hotel. The office is misleading of that standard of the hotel. Staff also sent us to the wrong apartment, when we phoned them they said someone would be over to help us, although they never turned up, luckily another couple showed up shortly after who had also been given the wrong our apartment number and we had theirs so all was well. I'm very, very disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013
Moscow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

When entering the apartment, my boyfriend asked me: «Do U remember, why I’ve booked this hotel?». It took him 15 min to find the reception as it was not in the same building. Not comfortable for arriving tourists.
But I was glad that we had arrived. The apartment was rather spacious and light. The kitchenette was small, but that was enough for self-catering. The bathroom… Small, but clean. If U’re tired U might not notice broken stuff and old towels. And if U don’t smoke U might not notice small tags telling you, that smoking is not allowed and smokers will be charged an extra fee. And one more tag telling you should leave the kitchenette clean or U will be charged an extra payment too. I’m not sure if cleaning this small kitchenette really costs 30 euro.
But let’s enjoy Cologne. The hotel is situated close to central railway station, the Dom and main shopping streets. It’ll take you only several minutes to get to restaurants or to places where you can buy fresh bread for the breakfast.
When we came back and went to bed, we realized the door is very thin so we hear everybody who enters the hotel and goes upstairs. The main surprise was a couple of drunk boys. They were screaming in the stairs for half of an hour, ringing the bell of our apartment and finally trying to open our door with their keys.
Dear owners, I think my review could be better if there were a reception in the same building. Some guests drink too much and can’t find their room, tourists are tired after the trip and get nervous searching for the office. But most of us will have enough patience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
guildford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

• TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE
• TERRIBLE ATTITUDE
• COMPLETELY UNHELPFUL
• UNFRIENDLY
• OVERBOOKED AND GAVE US SOMETHING COMPLETELY INCOMPATIBLE AND NO APOLOGY

We cycled from Frankfurt to Cologne and arrived late afternoon at the Domappartement reception building. We had telephoned 30 minutes previously as requested in the booking confirmation document.

Luckily it was quite close to the main station so we found it fairly easily. Excited about the prospect of a spacious, modern, clean apartment to relax in after our long bike ride, we were greeted by a very miserable face who didn’t even acknowledge us when we walked in. We said we had made a reservation for that evening and the response was a few grunts followed by about half an hour of waiting while she spoke on the phone in German …… then we were told in a very unapologetic voice:
“ So, we have overbooked and we have booked you a room in a local hotel instead”

We were disappointed because we had specifically chosen an apartment and spent a long time choosing that particular apartment and we had booked 2 months previously. However, acknowledging that “these things happen” we set off to the other hotel with no apology from the receptionist and no attempt to make us feel better about what had just happened.

We eventually found this other hotel but when we got there, they didn’t even know who we were and we had to explain the situation before it sunk in. We were then given the room key and climbed up some very old, tired squeaky stairs and unlocked the door to our room in which you couldn’t even swing a cat. You couldn’t sit down on the toilet without your left shoulder touching the shower cubicle and right shoulder touching the wash basin. It was a very tired and run down room and absolutely tiny.

The main reasons we chose Domappartements were: airport shuttle, cleanliness, modern and spacious, TV and DVD player etc.. we didn’t get any of these in the new place.

I went back to the Domappartement reception and said I really was not happy with the hotel that it was tired, old and tiny and we were not receiving any of the things that we had booked. What did I get? A confused look and several more grunts followed by “you must call my mother” so I spoke to the mother, whoever she was and explained that I wasn’t happy with the situation, particularly that we weren’t going to get the free airport shuttle which I had booked with them two months previously. All she could say was that she had booked us into the best hotel in Cologne. Clearly it wasn’t AT ALL…. but unfortunately all the other places I tried were fully booked (about 6 other places in central Frankfurt) so we stayed in the hotel that Domappartement booked for us. They didn’t offer for us to use the airport shuttle which I had booked, they didn’t offer advice or help with alternative ways of getting to the airport, they didn’t offer to throw in anything for free to appease us. Nothing. Just unhelpful and totally rude.

What SHOULD have been done? Well, ideally they shouldn’t have overbooked but everyone makes mistakes. They should have said sorry. They should have attempted to be helpful. They should have said “Really sorry but we have overbooked, we have booked you into a hotel closeby, here is the name of it and here are some directions, we know that it doesn’t compare to our apartments so we will pay for your train tickets to the airport and we will throw in breakfast at the hotel for free by means of apology”. Then I would have been happy – just because of the principal of it.

I definitely do NOT recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

Stayed at the apartment by the Chocolate Museum (approximately 1.5 km from the Dom), and began by walking there with my wife and our 2 young children (ages 4 years and 7 months), only to find no sign and no reception. The staff failed to notify us that we needed to pick up the keys at another address (near central station), and this information was buried in fine print on page 4 of our booking confirmation from booking.com. The NH hotel next door was kind enough to call the Domappartement to clarify the situation for us and then also call us cab so that we could get the keys.

Upon arrival at the Domappartement office, I said I was there to pick up the keys. The owner asked me how I liked my trip so far and I told him that it sucked because I had walked 20+ minutes with two young children and several bags of luggage, and that I had to have a cab drive a us there and then back to our room, and that the cab was waiting outside. The owner first said "Not my problem". Then he told me if I wasn't more patient, he wouldn't give me the keys to the room at all. I have never been treated so rudely at a hotel EVER--and I have stayed in youth hostels as well as 5-star resorts in more than 30 countries and 5 continents.

After this, we arrived (this time via cab) at the apartment. Though it claims to be a 4-star establishment, this place was nothing short of an unclean family room at a youth hostel. Though the owners said they had "made up" a bed for our 4-year-old, but this effectively meant they had put some torn sheets and a blanket with dark hairs on the sofa bed. Which is to say that the sheets were sitting on the side of the sofa, not that the bed had actually been prepared to sleep in.

As for the place itself, the bathroom was totally substandard and came with no soap or shampoo and only 1.5 rolls of toilet paper. The kitchen constantly ran out of hot water and was poorly appointed overall. The floor was unclean (not good for having an infant just learning to crawl) and the bed was incredibly uncomfortable and the pillows were flat and some didn't even come with covers, as did a number of extra blankets that felt as though they hadn't been laundered in ages.

In spite of these enormous flaws in management and property (which in our case was at least 20 minutes from the center), I was willing to leave the Domappartement a fine review. Until I went to check out. There, the owners tacked on approximately an extra 90 euros, claiming that having a child in the room required more cleaning. We left the place spotless, and no one ever came to clean it once during our stay. What is more, I had specifically called the Domappartement before our stay to make sure that we wouldn't be charged extra for having two children stay with us. The owner denied having spoken with me, and even though she couldn't provide a copy of the email she claims to have sent me, forced me to pay an extra 90 euros.

In short, the owners are rude and dishonest, and the apartments (or at least ours) are not nice and not in a good location. It felt like I was staying at some abandoned apartment with cheap, classless IKEA furniture with a view only of the ring road and the NH hotels dumpsters. In the end, for what we paid (over 100 euros/per night) we could have been in the center, with a view of the Christmas markets, and with a reception to pick up my keys and not have some arrogant owners attempt to deny me lodging because they failed to do their job.

In short, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, at all costs. You will be glad you stayed elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid. This is my worst hotel experience ever.