“Deceptive comfort...” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel an der Stadthalle to your Saves list
Hotel an der Stadthalle
Hotel an der Stadthalle
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Platz der Freundschaft 3, 18059 Rostock, Mecklenburg-West Pomerania, Germany   |
Ranked #19 of 61 hotels in Rostock
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Deceptive comfort...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I arrived here on business to meet a large group of project friends and colleagues. The hotel was chosen because it was close to the main station and offered reasonable rates. The reception was adjacent to the stadium/venue and other large apartment blocks. Inside we were greeted by the friendly staff and check in was simple. No lift might be a bit of a pain for some. But, when I entered the room I was massively surprised! The room was fantastic! Rather larger than most hotels I seem to encounter these days with a giant bed! There was a sort of separate TV area too! Bathroom was basic but clean. The buffet breakfast was exceptional quality and well prepared by the staff... There was a well thought out and tasty range of options. Coffee was perfect with lovely little touches to start the day so well. Not typically German I might add! All in all a very good option for you if you value comfort and quality and a good price!

Room Tip: No lift - up to you!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Aartselaar, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff. Location: 5 minutes walk from central station; 20 minutes walk to the city center. (you can also take tram). Easy for trips (by train) to Warnemünde with beautiful beach. Breakfast buffet is excellent! Rooms are ok, with flatscreen (only German channels), no frige or minibar. Good price/quality. Quiet neighborhood. No elevator.

Room Tip: There are some rooms with a terras. Attention: there is no elevator.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The Hotel has a 70s feel to the reception, but the bedrooms are just fine. It was This was a generous sized room, with good sized bathroom, and close to the central railway/tram station. Chairs were comfortable to both sit at the desk using their wifi on my laptop, or just sitting in reading.. Did not try the TV as I cannot speak German.
Breakfast was a full menu. eg scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, bacon and sausages, plus all the cold things.
I chose this hotel because it was close to public transport, and was pleased I did, as it was raining when I got to Rosktock. Hotel is hard to spot from the railway station. You have to go to the south entrance of the station and turn right. It is tucked behind the first block of buildings that you see. Later when I had sussed the tram stations out, I got off 1 station passed the main station (trams 2, 5, 6) and walked direct across the road to the hotel. The south entrance to the train station is also where you can catch bus no 49 to the Ferry Terminals.
The young staff who were on duty when I dripped into their reception, were so nice. The young lad without any prompting offered to carry my bags up to my 3rd floor room - no lift. And he went out of his way to ensure that the right sort of tea was available the 2nd day when he found out they did not have it. I wanted a comfortable bed and room, and got it at a good price. I was there for 3 nights midweek, and it suited me fine.in spite of 48 stairs to my room.

Room Tip: If you are not good climbing stairs, ask for a room as low down as possible - there is no lift. Roo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Barcelona, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed in this hotel one night because of my job.
What can I say? You get what you pay for it.
Hotel is quite old and not in really good condition. Everything is pretty tacky.
The hotel is placed on a neighbourhood where there are only very big old buildings and the zone seems very poor. I remember, I feel not comfortable at night in my journey from the parking place to the hotel.
I remember, when we arrived at the hotel at night, it was a kind of music party on the area. The music was quite loud and could be heard from the room.
Furthermore, we had to wait more than 15 minutes till the guy from the main desk came to the place. He told us, he was on the music party. Other than that, we asked him, when the party was supposed to be finished and he told us that he had no idea and that it was normal to have those parties regulary.
Breakfast was according to the hotel range. Low variety and poor.
I would say this is not a hotel but a pension.
A cheap accomodation but without any doubt, I would not accommodate myself a second time in this place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Varberg, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Well, okay, this is not the best hotel you ever will stay in. Well, okay, it sure won't be. It's old, shabby with ragged wall to wall carpets everywhere. There's no elevator, the staff doesn't speak very good english (some of them don't speak english at all). Front desk unattended after 8pm.

But, in some strange way, I still liked the place. After wandering up dirty stairs locking myself into my room I almost didn't dare to see how I should spend my next night. But it was fine! The rooms were clean and spacious. I got a big bathroom and even a balcony that came in very handy since I am a smoker. The beds were comfy as well. The only thing I could complain about when it comes to the rooms and sleep quality is that it was quite noisy and u could hear other guests talking and moving luggage. But it's not near streets or anything.

We were going to a gig at the city hall at night and the hotel is just outside the venue so it came in very handy for us and it took us like 3-4 minutes by foot to the main train station.

Don't choose this hotel if you want luxury or need anything extra. But you should choose this hotel if you want a cheap room close to the train station. it takes about 5-6 min with trams from the city hall to the market place down town, not bad :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Bremen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed for one night in this hotel during a business trip to Warnemünde and Rostock. Don’t be put off by the slightly run down and somewhat too East Germany built of the apartment block in which this hotel is situated. Also the staircase and corridor are little inviting. But you will be positively surprised about the rooms themselves. Double rooms are spacious and very clean. Also the bathroom was extremely large, actually much larger then necessary. I had a balcony facing towards the city congress hall. Not a nice view, but it’s private and you can smoke there if you must. The hotel does not otherwise allow smoking and you will also be asked to close all windows and the door when smoking outside. Apparently they will charge a rather high fee if they get aware of smoke smell in the rooms. The rooms must have been made over recently (July 2012) since al furniture looked new, and there was a really big high definition TV instead of the cheap tiny one that some hotels seem to offer to justify writing “flat screen TV” in their info.
Apparently the hotel owners/runners are gay friendly. At least they offered two different gay magazines at the reception.
If you need food and drink after hours, there is only a rather overpriced vending machine. But just outside the door there is a huge supermarket that should be open 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday. The pretty good breakfast with a small but nice choice of food is served in a small room but is unfortunately pretty expensive, too, at 8.50€.
The location is right next to the train station, from which you can walk to the city centre in about 15min, or a bit less. The S-Bahn (local train) to the beach town of Warnemünde also takes some 15-20 minutes and leaves every 15 minutes.
After getting over the first impression the hotel is nice (but for the price of breakfast), and I would not find good reasons not to stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel an der Stadthalle? Share your experiences!