“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Forton B&B and Inns
Lancaster, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Me and my partner love eating at The Punchbowl in Churchtown and are really pleased that we can receive the same excellent value of food and service a little nearer to home now that the New Holly is under the same management. We Ate there on 27th August and although they where busy they provided fast and efficient service. Our waitresses were professional and once again the food was delicious. The Pate is the best I have tasted and never any complaints from my other half who isn't too easy to impress. Warm welcome and happy smiling staff who give good, efficient service. I don't really understand how anyone can go to the New Holly or the Punchbowl and not be satisfied. It's the only place for us to eat and have a relaxing evening in decorative surroundings. Recommend this to everyone

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tom L, Manager at The New Holly Country Pub & Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Kim, Thankyou for your kind words its always good to hear comments like these to show us that the hard work we do behind the scenes is paying off. We look forward to seeing you again soon at the new holly. Thanks, Tom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

After a visit in May for my own birthday and enjoying it, my partner decided that she wanted to try it for her own birthday meal. On arrival it was clear it was under new ownership and first impressions were good. Nice decor, clean and classy. However, things soon went downhill. We had to move from our first seating due to it being overrun with ants (indoors!). The menu wasn't overly inspiring and particularly disappointing was the children's options. My daughter didn't want something from the uninspiring children's menu (basically sausage, pizza and nuggets) and decided on lasagne instead from the adult menu. Unfortunatley our waitress declined to even ask the chef for a half portion, so we ended up with a full adult portion (and the £12 cost) so a 4 year old could have a meal. Many restaurants would have been happy to go the extra mile and accommodate the request. My own meal of duck was cold and not worth the £15 price. On the plus side my partner enjoyed her Sunday lunch, but when it came to drinks nearly £9 for a pint of Guinness and two soft drinks was extortionate. Overall not impressed - very expensive for what it is and won't be returning. It was much better under the previous management (and friends have since given me the same opinion).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Michael, Sorry to hear about your experience and thanks for taking the time to comment so we can continue to improve our service and our food, we have taken on board what you have said and have tried to amend our mistakes, if you would like to talk further about your experience please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the new holly. Thanks, Tom
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Almost every aspect of this meal for 6 was poor except the pleasant staff but if you take over an hour to serve a main dish and the meat is dry , the beans uncooked , the chips undercooked , the pizza old, the service poor (' would you like another drink?' may have helped a bit ) the prices high , the lamb tasteless, and so on and so forth. I don't like to talk down a local business but even when the long wait was brought to their attention to be told 'we were busy' doesn't really help and perhaps if we had been told at 7.15 that we'd still be waiting at 8.35 then we would have come back , as it is , we won't . By the way it's not cheap.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thankyou for taking the time to give us feedback about your visit, we have taken aboard your comments and put in place procedures to amend the mistakes that happened during your visit, if you would like to talk further about your visit please contact me at the new holly directly. Thanks, Tom.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Well, a little confused after our visit, what is this place trying to be? The prices suggest gourmet food, beautifully presented and served by highly efficient staff. In fairness, the food was very tasty (although only one vegetarian option on the main menu, a little behind times), tasty but served in colossal quantities which made us all feel very overwhelmed, and with sauces in plastic, sealed pots. When paying, on average, £15 for a main course, you expect this to reflect the WHOLE experience. Quite simply this didn't happen. Staff were over run, tables weren't cleared around us, nor was our own and our wine didn't arrive until we'd nearly finished our main courses. We saw at least 6 people walk out in the hour and a half we were there, which speaks volumes. At the end of our meal, the 'deputy manager' asked how we found our first visit. Well, if you're going to ask the question, be ready for the answer, be it positive or negative. . . Instead this lady took a defensive stance, claiming tweeting problems and crashing tills for the quality of experience- as well as blaming their own voucher promotions. Clearly the New Holly is heading in the right direction, one of the waitresses was exceptionally professional and friendly, head and shoulders above the others and she salvaged our evening, but we certainly won't be heading back through the doors until it decides what sort of establishment it is going to be, with service which warrants the prices.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback, we have taken on board your comments and have now put procedures in place to ensure the same sort of things do not happen again. If you would like to talk further about your visit please contact me directly at the new holly. Thanks, Tom
blackpool england, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Visited the New Holly last Sunday with my partner and a friend.I must sy that the first impression was very good.Decor is nice, classy and well co-ordinated.We were greeted by a very pleasant Barman and were allowed to choose where we wanted to sit.REAL DAMASK napkins.. a winner as far as I am concerned.Our drinks order was taken by a pleasant waitress and arrived promptly.The general manager Tom took our order, and, what a nice touch, say at the end of the table to take it.....liked that.
Our meal arrived piping hot, without a long wait and we were astounded at the portion sizes.All of us enjoyed the quality of the food, the meat was very tender and the overall presentation was excellent.
Desert menu is good too... I had Baked Alaska with fruits in Drambuie.You never see this deseert nowadays on the menu, and it was excellent.All in all an immaculate,well organised place with staff that are not only pleasant, but warm and welcoming.WILL DEFINITELY BE GOING BACK.... SOON...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Paul B, General Manager at The New Holly Country Pub & Inn, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Hi Julie, I must admit i was so pleased when i read you comments and thank you very much for the kind words that have been written about not only the interior, the food and as importantly the staff. With our opening night only being 2 days prior to your visit, i was so impressed with the time youy have taken to write such lovely comments because as we know that in a lot of cases when a new venue opens it doors, the teething problems seem to be endless but in our case we seem to have ticked all the boxes in the correct ways. Us as a company pride ourselves on high standards throughour all our units and hope this shall be the start of a fantastic relationship between us. I look forward to seeing you in again soon.
Paul
Morecambe9
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We have eaten at the New Holly about a year ago and then they served very nice, well cooked food.

However we ate here last weekend and unfortunately the experience was not so pleasant.

There is a sign outside stating ‘under new management’, the new management do not take over until 6th August though and all except one of the Chef’s has left.

The result was a ridiculously long wait, for basic dishes, which arrived cremated, dry and lacking in taste.

Many people were turned away during our time waiting, with the reason that the Chef could not cope with any more orders, as there were already some tables booked for later that evening.

Based on the lack of cooking staff, they’d have done better to offer only a small section of the menu, rather than serving up sub standard food off an extensive menu usually executed by several people.

I’d give this place a wide berth for food for now, wait until the new management have taken over, employed some good Chefs and then give it a try again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Tom L, Manager at The New Holly Country Pub & Inn, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
I would just like to notify you that at the new holly we are a totally new company and things have changed massively. We would like to change your opinion of us so if you get in contact with me i will send you out a voucher to use with us if you would like to visit. Thanks Tom
Billericay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I stayed at the New Holly last Saturday evening 30th June 2012. I had previously stayed in October 2010 and was happy to return as had found it a good place to stay near Lancaster when visiting my daughter at University. My experience at the New Holly seems quite different to many of the reviews I have read. I found the service to be perfectly acceptable and for a one night stay with breakfast, this is good value for money. The rooms are kept really clean, beds are comfortable and the bathroom very nice .Food is good too! I'm not sure what some people expect from what is after all a pub with accommodation above as far as noise is concerned, but on my two visits I have not found this to be a particular problem. I have also found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. As with most places, if you are pleasant to the staff, they are pleasant back to you!

Room Tip: Room 2 overlooks the rear of the property so is quieter