“Resembles a truckers motel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Hotel Kassel City Centre

You added Ramada Hotel Kassel City Centre to your Saves list
Ramada Hotel Kassel City Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Baumbachstrasse 2/Kongress Palais, 34119 Kassel, Hesse, Germany   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Kassel
New York City, New York
“Resembles a truckers motel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Dirty, the haribo wrappers from the little bags they leave in your pillow (that are old) are under, beside and behind the bed, and other wrappers and stuff too. Dirt on the bathroom door. The soap dispensers are dirty. Teh little toiletreries (shampoo etc) were very minimal and used and are not replaced.

No free and/or working Wifi in the room. Incredible in 2012. There is paid Wifi in the room but so incredibly cumbersome to get started, it takes about an hour and then it comes and goes.

The gym doesn't open until 10! Useless.

The shower head doesn't stay put.

The hotel hasn't refurbisched / done maintainance since forever, it looks like since the 80's.

Location is called city center but we are half an hour walking from dOCUMENTA. There are rental bikes very near tho and you can take a tram for which you get a free pass, which is good.

On the plus side, when we asked, it was ok to check out late.
Breakfast buffet has plenty on offer. Pity they don't clear the tables fast enough so sometimes there's no (clean) place to sit.

Room Tip: Tip: get a phone app called Konrad so you can get bikes in Kassel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dennis H, Manager at Ramada Hotel Kassel City Centre, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Guest, I am really, really sorry for that experience, you had during your stay. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will work on it that those exceptional case concerning the cleanliness of your room will not happen again.
Sorry that we are not offering free WiFi. At the moment we got a running contract with T-Com which offers Hot Spot.
We hope to be of service to you in the future and if you got any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,
Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Kassel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We visited Kassel for a long weekend in order to enjoy the dOCUMENTA. The hotel is approx. 15 minutes drive with the tram (S bahn) to the city centre. Tram stops in front of the hotel and is for free (your hotel card serves as a ticket). Documenta tickets could be bought at the hotel too. Good service, friendly people, clean hotel, everything in good order. We asked for a room for 3 people. The junior suite was the right choice, with a separate part for our daughter.
We had lunch and dinner in Kassel itself, but the hotel's breakfast was excellent, with a very broad offering. All in all very satisfied.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dennis H, Manager at Ramada Hotel Kassel City Centre, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear guest,
wow, what a great rating concerning your stay in our house. Many thanks for that. I gladly hand this off to our employees and hope to see you again when you visit Kassel next time.
Kind regards
Dennis Hühn
Assistant Manager
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I am guessing most of people that looking for a hotel in Kassel in for "dOcumenta" or business traveller

So

Straight to the point:

Room - large room, big window very standard amenities. Nothing Fancy!
We stayed on the 13th Floor, great view of the whole city (it's a smoking floor thought)
The first room we check in had no mini bar, we then ask to change the room with mini bar.

Location - 5 min by tram or taxi from main station - Taxi would cost you no more than 6-7 euros
the center of town where main shops restaurant and documenta venue is 10-15min away by tram
The hotel provided tram ticket incl in the room rate, and there are 2 trams rights at the front of the hotel that go straight to documenta (come every 10-15min)

There is cafes and shops near by 10min walk (might not open at night)

Room service menu is not too bad, you can get a soup or dessert for 5 euros

Complimentary 2 bottle of water per day (Sparkling water)

Cons;
No wi-fi internet - you need to pay 4.95euros per hour

there is only 1 computer available at the loby for guests use. Which make it tricky!

Overall, depending on how long you booked this hotel in advance, as when I booked the hotel... there are not many option available. Overall I paid 125aud per night... which is ok price, you basically get what you pay for... it's not 4 star thought

Room Tip: high floor, do ask for the room with mini bar if you need one... not every room provide mini bar
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dennis H, Manager at Ramada Hotel Kassel City Centre, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Ms Piya-Namwan,
thank you for the nice words about Kassel and our house. It is right that we don't have a minibar in every room. But we provide a 24 hours shop beside our reception for all needs.

Kind regards,

Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

The Hotel is quite close to the high-speed train station (Kassel Wilhelmshoehe): 3 Tram stops.
The room is okay in size, clean and relatively modern. I had a room with two single beds that apparently were made for pushing together if desired.

Absolute highlight was breakfast. While quite pricy at €16, the buffet lacks almost nothing except perhaps a better selection of fresh (not canned) fruit. Excellent.

Less excellent was the shower - the fixture was impossible to operate to a decent temperature, it turned out either too hot or too cold, even when moving the lever only a few millimeters. Also, the showerhead didn’t stick properly in its holder, so it would turn to the side spontaneously (turn down the water pressure to reduce this problem).

All in all quite pricey (probably because the Documenta 13 is going on) but certainly comfortable and quit.

Internet access via Telekom access point (great if you have an account, like I do).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dennis H, Manager at Ramada Hotel Kassel City Centre, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to rate us on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilise your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be.

Thanks for your nice words especially of our breakfast buffet. I appreciate that.
The problem with the temperatur is fixed now. I'm sorry about that.

I hope to be of service to you in the future and if you got any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I stayed at Ramada for one night two weeks ago - went to see dOCUMENTA 13. First the good things - staff are nice and helpful - especially during the day - helped with transport, printed my boarding pass, took messages etc. Room is clean. View in my room was very peaceful - park. No noise. Not so good: it is not in the city centre, despite the name. But it is not far - easy transport links. It has no free WiFi - very odd in such a hotel. Only one computer downstairs - very slow internet and printer not working when I was there. But again - staff was nice and printed things for me on their own printer. Very basic decoration - but that's not a bad thing sometimes. Night staff not very helpful - but still were nice. Have not tried breakfast - it was a bit pricey, and I did not have much time. So, all in all, not the worst stay, not the best, but the price is very fair I thought.

Room Tip: park side - for view and quietness.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dennis H, Manager at Ramada Hotel Kassel City Centre, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

I'm glad about your nice words concerning our staff. I will pass those laud to them.

Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

The hotel is not really in the city centre, but close to the Stadthalle, an important conference venue. One side of the hotel faces a busy road, the other side is much quieter. I got a room in the 13th floor facing the street. The windows (can be opened) would need some additional sound-proofing, I heard the motor cycles, trams and trucks even when the windows were closed. Otherwise the room was OK, the bathroom a bit outdated. The shower was located in the bath tub, which was very high (could be difficult for people with mobility problems). I was given a smoking room although a non-smoking room had been booked. There was a huge event in the neighbouring Stadthalle so obviously there were no other rooms availabe. I put up with it for just one night - although it was difficult because the smell of smoke was everywhere, in the curtains, the sofa....
The breakfast was very good, a great selection of hot and cold dishes was offered, even salmon and sparkling wine, but the orange juice came from a machine and was not very tasty.
If you do not stay much longer than 1-3 days, the hotel is acceptable. For a longer stay I would choose another hotel.

Room Tip: It might be better to choose a room on the rear side of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry you were not satisfied with all aspects of your stay. Our house is now a little more than 13 years old and can’t compare with the newer, more modern equipped houses by nature to withstand. But we are already investing heavily every year to offer you an upscale und contemporary stay.

But we also want to thank you for your nice words concerning our breakfast buffet. As it's the most important meal of the day, we seek for a very high standard of it.

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed here as this was next to our meeting venue. Pros: location one street behind the main road (main road looks up to the Hercules Statue), staff was friendly, breakfast, although pricey, had a great selection though the restaurant itself is an incongruous mash of tables with little ambience. Cons: Rooms have no temperature control - so adjusting the temperature or even getting air to move is not possible - though the window does open (caution for parents with children). Wireless is pay by the hour and at 5euros per hour of use, is not satisfactory for business men who live and die by the internet. Other hotels in the area include free wireless – which in my opinion should be standard everywhere. The business section does allow for 30 minutes free use - I find this not acceptable as my computer is my lifeline. One minor annoyance was the TV speaker in the bathroom which was louder than the TV and could not be controlled other than to turn the TV way down. The only English channel I found was CNN, but I did not go to the hotel to watch TV so this was of little consequence to me. The room was clean but nothing extraordinary to comment about. I believe the higher floors offer a better view of the lovely city – beware of smoking and non-smoking floors. All in all - passable - but not quite meeting business expectations.

Room Tip: high floors will offer a better view - beware to stipulate whether you are a smoker or not as there...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dennis H, Manager at Ramada Hotel Kassel City Centre, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to rate out hotel on tripadvisor. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. We are working on the bath room loud speakers and the problem is mostly solved now. Even if it wasn't important for you i want to say that we got 2 English TV channels (CNN and CNBC).
We got free wireless internet included in our comfort categorie as well as some other nice amenities. Those rooms are also in the upper floors with a great view of Kassel.

Direktionsassistent / Assistant Manager

Been to Ramada Hotel Kassel City Centre? Share your experiences!